5D3 is extremely sharp!

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions
mac west
Senior MemberPosts: 1,200Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D3 is extremely sharp!
In reply to Jan from UK, May 5, 2012

Jan they have apparently have never even held a Camera before if you don't think A body and a lens determine sharpness in a Image, great capture. Concert photography is very very difficult nice job!
--
SHOOT TO THRILL: MAC WEST NYC

mac west's gear list:mac west's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,680Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dan_168, May 5, 2012

Dan_168 wrote:

Is that any sharper than the 5D MK2?

Is the sharper than 60D?

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
expro
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?
Re: so is the 350D
In reply to Peter 13, May 5, 2012

when I play golf I have often hit a shot as good as any pro...but I can't possibly do them at will or do them consecutively...so I am not a pro golfer!!

same with cameras...every time you say anybody could get this with a p&s...well of course you could if you try long enough in the right conditions get lucky etc etc...but try doing it every single time... that's why you buy a better camera body....

Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?
In reply to expro, May 5, 2012

expro wrote:

when I play golf I have often hit a shot as good as any pro...but I can't possibly do them at will or do them consecutively...so I am not a pro golfer!!

same with cameras...every time you say anybody could get this with a p&s...well of course you could if you try long enough in the right conditions get lucky etc etc...but try doing it every single time... that's why you buy a better camera body....

So you are saying that the OP could have just been lucky? I agree.

Look, the OP posted a photo with exposure just one stop below the highlighted one here:

and at f/5. My ancient Rebel nailed focus every single time in such a light and aperture. Wait, it was very good many stops below it as well.

SubPrime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,231
Like?
In reply to mac west, May 5, 2012

mac west wrote:

Jan they have apparently have never even held a Camera before if you don't think A   body and a lens determine sharpness in a Image, great capture.

At the res we are looking at, this capture could just as easily been fine with a 5D classic using single point focus. Such captures are very straightforward.

Concert photography is very very difficult nice job!

In low low light it is, especially coloueres lighting.

It's not when you can freeze action at ISO 400, and 1/640 sec at F5.  That's practically broad daylight conditions and lenses like the 70-200 usually achieve max sharpness around f5.6.

Jan from UK
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter 13, May 5, 2012

~ Errr .. Sorry. At about 25 foot distance with full frame, at f5.6, the dof is NOT 5 metres. Just a teeny fraction of that ..

-- hide signature --

Jan F

Jan from UK's gear list:Jan from UK's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Jan from UK
Like?
In reply to carlk, May 5, 2012

I had considered going to a dual system .. By buying myself a Nikon D800 ~ until I examined the sky on a downloaded large file of a house.. Thyen I saw the deep blue sky was tthe same rubbish sky my 7D has. A mass of intrusive blue pin pricks instead of a silky smooth blue that the 5D2 and 5D3 has ..

Here is a shot under extreme light of the beautiful American artist Dana Fuchs .. Brilliant quality .. and that's with my ancient 5D2 .. a very good pic, even though I say so myself .. !
--
Jan F

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Jan from UK
Like?
5D3 100% Crop Pic ~ 2,800 x 3,005 pixels jpeg Original ..
In reply to Jan from UK, May 5, 2012

One poster says I took photographs in daylight conditions. Has this person ever shot a live concert where the artist is a famous Punk singer and actress, bouncing about on stage into spotlight illumination .. Here is the reason for the settings I used. (see latest attached image from my gallery. I had to select an aperture where the singers head would be illuminated correctly. Please blow this up to 100% size and examine the fine weave KNITTED headscarf she wore. Note the 'NO MOIRE' texture. Far far better, in my view, than what the great D800/800E could achieve.

I am delighted with my 5D3 .. This is not a troll post by me. I get out and use my gear. I have some music festival images of Nick Kershaw taken just this evening .. I DO NOT sit at a computer examining corners of test photos. I get out and use my gear. I think the 5D3 is a practical working camera. A camera an event/wedding photographer could earn good money with ..

Oh .. Please notice that both shoulders are out of focus. Depth of field is barely 12".
--
Jan F

djmorgan
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D3 100% Crop Pic ~ 2,800 x 3,005 pixels jpeg Original ..
In reply to Jan from UK, May 6, 2012

Jan clearly has one of those miracle cameras, it stops lens flare (another post of hers) it increases lens sharpness, it probably makes tea and surfs the internet! oh to be so lucky

djmorgan's gear list:djmorgan's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,806Gear list
Like?
Ignore the idiots.

This forum has more trolls than street cats have fleas.

Almost EVERY image with which someone is satisfied from this camera gets trashed while people spend all their time trying to blow non-issues into crises. And the moderators do nothing.

The best argument against the idiocy is a good photograph. You will notice the biggest naysayers do not post ANY image that's not a dick-measuring test. And more often do not post any at all.

Jan from UK wrote:

One poster says I took photographs in daylight conditions. Has this person ever shot a live concert where the artist is a famous Punk singer and actress, bouncing about on stage into spotlight illumination .. Here is the reason for the settings I used. (see latest attached image from my gallery. I had to select an aperture where the singers head would be illuminated correctly. Please blow this up to 100% size and examine the fine weave KNITTED headscarf she wore. Note the 'NO MOIRE' texture. Far far better, in my view, than what the great D800/800E could achieve.

I am delighted with my 5D3 .. This is not a troll post by me. I get out and use my gear. I have some music festival images of Nick Kershaw taken just this evening .. I DO NOT sit at a computer examining corners of test photos. I get out and use my gear. I think the 5D3 is a practical working camera. A camera an event/wedding photographer could earn good money with ..

Oh .. Please notice that both shoulders are out of focus. Depth of field is barely 12".
--
Jan F

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
Mikael Risedal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,924
Like?
Re: Ignore the idiots.
In reply to GaryJP, May 6, 2012

OK . You are on my ignore list

GaryJP wrote:
This forum has more trolls than street cats have fleas.

Almost EVERY image with which someone is satisfied from this camera gets trashed while people spend all their time trying to blow non-issues into crises. And the moderators do nothing.

The best argument against the idiocy is a good photograph. You will notice the biggest naysayers do not post ANY image that's not a dick-measuring test. And more often do not post any at all.

Jan from UK wrote:

--
Jan F

-- hide signature --
Mikael Risedal
Like?
In reply to djmorgan, May 6, 2012

Burned out photo, clipped high lights.
we have a different view how to handle a motive

djmorgan wrote:

Jan clearly has one of those miracle cameras, it stops lens flare (another post of hers) it increases lens sharpness, it probably makes tea and surfs the internet! oh to be so lucky

Mikael Risedal
Like?
Re: His photographs are better than yours

what do you add to this thread?
Besides being rude?

Knowledge?

GaryJP wrote:
End of story.

You are not even shocking anyone. You are just boring them.

Mikael Risedal wrote:

yeah , yeah do a test under controlled forms and show us. 5dmk2 5dmk3 are very good cameras but have 11stops DR compared to 14 stops in Nikon d800.

-- hide signature --
Peter 13
Like?

Jan from UK wrote:

One poster says I took photographs in daylight conditions. Has this person ever shot a live concert where the artist is a famous Punk singer and actress, bouncing about on stage into spotlight illumination .. Here is the reason for the settings I used.

The reasons are irrelevant. The exposure is daylight. Corresponds to ISO 100, 1/125, f/8. A textbook example.

Peter 13
Like?

Jan from UK wrote:

~ Errr .. Sorry. At about 25 foot distance with full frame, at f5.6, the dof is NOT 5 metres. Just a teeny fraction of that ..

I said 20m distance, for example. In any case, a crop camera wider open (f/4) has roughly speaking 1/2 the DOF, and is able to nail focus in less that 7 stop lower light. I have tens of pictures like this taken with the 350D in much lower light, and several taken with the 5D2.

BTW, nobody is denying that the IQ is great.

Daniel from Bavaria
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?
In reply to Dan_168, May 6, 2012

Dan_168 wrote:

Is that any sharper than the 5D MK2?

No, it isn't.

BG
Daniel

SubPrime
Like?

Jan from UK wrote:

One poster says I took photographs in daylight conditions. Has this person ever shot a live concert where the artist is a famous Punk singer and actress, bouncing about on stage into spotlight illumination

What's so difficult about that?

Anyone who knows what they are doing is going to prepared and anticipate such a shot. No big deal.

Now again, if that lighting situation required ISO3200-6400 and f2.8, it would be another story.

I had to select an aperture where the singers head would be illuminated correctly.

That's a luxury most concert photographers don't have, so it sounds like an even easier gig.

Please blow this up to 100% size and examine the fine weave KNITTED headscarf she wore. Note the 'NO MOIRE' texture. Far far better, in my view, than what the great D800/800E could achieve.

How would you know without taking the same shot with a D800/D800E?

I am delighted with my 5D3

There's no reason why you shouldn't be, but to suggest that this image you captured tells us something unique about the 5D3 isn't all that convincing. There are half a dozen cameras that could have pulled it off just as well.

SubPrime
Like?
Re: Ignore the idiots.

GaryJP wrote:

That might havbe comethig to do with the fact that the OP made claims that this image is unique to the 5D3 and then felt the need to criticize a camera she has never used.

The best argument against the idiocy is a good photograph.

That depends. One sould say that idiocy is taking a a shot with a 5D3 and suggesting it could not be done with a D800 without even trying.

cpkuntz
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
Cat pictures

A couple of cat pictures to see sharpness. I would attribute the sharpness to the 100mm f/2.8L lens more than the 5D Mark III, of course. A great combo, nonetheless. Ignore exif data. This is a problem caused by downloading flickr-compressed photos and uploading them to the DPreview gallery. Here is the original link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpkuntz/7001417740/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpkuntz/7147502573/in/photostream/lightbox/

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
altenae
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
Re: Cat pictures
In reply to cpkuntz, May 6, 2012

@Mikael Risedal

It seems you are the best.
Now show us your portfolio !

Why is it when a poster is showing some images instead of the gearhead stuff it always ends up with rude replies !

And why is it that the rudeness is posted by users who never share websites or portfolios or images !
--
Enjoy Photography
http://www.wildlife-photos.net

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads