Horray Vogue magazine

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 12,965Gear list
Like?
Horray Vogue magazine
May 4, 2012

Vogue magazine have made a pact to quit using the under nourished super skinny who are under 16 and have eating disorders.

I cheer them.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:
Visible, Predictable, Alert, Assertive and Courteous

They also use the five layers of protection available.
Layer 1: Control your bike (Don't fall or collide with others)
Layer 2: Follow the rules (Don't be the cause of traffic crashes)
Layer 3: Use Lane position (Discourage other drivers mistakes)
Layer 4: Hazard Avoidance (Avoid other drivers mistakes and road hazards)
Layer 5: Utilize passive protection (Use protection when all else fails)

Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
drh681
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,306
Like?
Re: Horray Vogue magazine
In reply to bikinchris, May 4, 2012

Well let's hope this spells the doom of "skinny jeans". Those tall skinny models are the only females they look good on.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------

if I mock you, it may be well deserved.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KEVZPHOTOS
Forum ProPosts: 16,198
Like?
In reply to bikinchris, May 4, 2012

bikinchris wrote:

Vogue magazine have made a pact to quit using the under nourished super skinny who are under 16 and have eating disorders.

Israel is the first country to impose a law that all magazine adverts that display images of women (ie: models, etc) that have been 'photoshoped' must have a caption underneath the images stating as such.

KEV

"It is a small gesture, but one that can be very effective - especially in a large crowd. So fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Benjamin Franklin 'The Dream' 1751)

http://kvincentphotography.ca/stackedimages
http://kvincentphotography.ca/designerflorals
http://kvincentphotography.ca/macro

lownine
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,751
Like?
In reply to bikinchris, May 5, 2012

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

The impact and relevance of Vogue to my life is, I would guess, about the same as a Mickey Thompson catalog is to Tim Gunn's. Actually, I think my connection to Vogue may be a bit greater inasmuch as I'm aware that something called Vogue exists and is concerned with something or other about which I know nothing and care less.

Stu

Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648
Like?
In reply to bikinchris, May 6, 2012

Bravo, but I seem to remember these kinds of things going down in the industry before only to slowly fade away again. I still think it needs standards legislation.

Here's hoping it sticks but at least Vogue has a good chunk of industry influence.

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:

Chris, Broussard, LA

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Roger99
Like?
In reply to lownine, May 6, 2012

lownine wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

The impact and relevance of Vogue to my life is, I would guess, about the same as a Mickey Thompson catalog is to Tim Gunn's. Actually, I think my connection to Vogue may be a bit greater inasmuch as I'm aware that something called Vogue exists and is concerned with something or other about which I know nothing and care less.

Stu

You must live in a windowless box with not TV or internut. You may not ever come into contact with the rag but you do experience its influence indirectly.
--

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle

Paljas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331
Like?
In reply to lownine, May 6, 2012

lownine wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

Stu

Bit cavalier and naive, Stu. You are from the US?
--
Observing dreaming seeking

lownine
Like?
In reply to Roger99, May 7, 2012

Roger99 wrote:

lownine wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

Stu

You must live in a windowless box with not TV or internut. You may not ever come into contact with the rag but you do experience its influence indirectly.
--

I would like to ask, without smart alec attitude or snarkiness, what you would offer by way of example. I'm aware that it's a fashion magazine. It may be that fashion is too much of a niche and they've felt the need to become 'lifestyle" or "culture" oriented. I just wouldn't know because I have no memory of ever opening one. Of course, that introduces the possibility that I have flipped through one, but later blocked that memory.

Stu

lownine
Like?
In reply to Paljas, May 7, 2012

Paljas wrote:

lownine wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

Stu

Cavalier and naive. Let me guess. You have a subscription.

Perhaps my interest in fashion - which seems to have arrested once I mastered the blue blazer - stems from my red/green color vision deficiency. It doesn't really matter. My interest in whether somebody's spring line was a hit in Milan is low and I make no apologies. Now if you want to take a James Burke "Connections" approach to it and tie fashion in with agriculture, metallurgy, and geography, you've probably got my attention. Failing that, I confess that my need to know that Briggs & Stratton changed the part number on a governor spring positively dwarfs my use for a $3K sweater.

Tell you what...you can be interested enough for the both of us, OK?

Stu

chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,178
Like?
In reply to bikinchris, May 7, 2012

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:

Chris, Broussard, LA

So you like pictures of old fat chicks? Skinny girls are being discriminated against thanks to chubby chasers like you. There will be allot more fast food advertising as well.

Paljas
Like?
In reply to lownine, May 7, 2012

lownine wrote:

Paljas wrote:

lownine wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

Stu

No

Perhaps my interest in fashion - which seems to have arrested once I mastered the blue blazer - stems from my red/green color vision deficiency. It doesn't really matter. My interest in whether somebody's spring line was a hit in Milan is low and I make no apologies. Now if you want to take a James Burke "Connections" approach to it and tie fashion in with agriculture, metallurgy, and geography, you've probably got my attention. Failing that, I confess that my need to know that Briggs & Stratton changed the part number on a governor spring positively dwarfs my use for a $3K sweater.

Stu

I am not really interested in Vogue. My wife and daughters will testify to my lack of any particle of fashion sense. I have more interest in big end bearings and oversize piston rings.

I must humbly confirm my opinion that you are cavalier and naive in believing that the impact and relevance of Vogue and fashion in your life is non existent. You may be a disinterested and unwilling participant like me, but unfortunately there is no escape. Particularly so if you are from the US.

Just accept it and drink more beer. Cheers
--

Roger99
Like?

lownine wrote:

Roger99 wrote:

lownine wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

Stu

--

I would like to ask, without smart alec attitude or snarkiness, what you would offer by way of example. I'm aware that it's a fashion magazine. It may be that fashion is too much of a niche and they've felt the need to become 'lifestyle" or "culture" oriented. I just wouldn't know because I have no memory of ever opening one. Of course, that introduces the possibility that I have flipped through one, but later blocked that memory.

Stu

Do you know any women?

-- hide signature --

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,312Gear list
Like?
Yes: finally!

Replies of some other magazines in NL: "We can't be with them all the time so we don't know what or if they eat, so we can't help 'em." And things like that.....

Yes you can: if you can demand them not to be to fat than you can do the same the other way around...Now let'see how it pans out in practice.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,312Gear list
Like?
In reply to chiane, May 7, 2012

Yes...that is what he meant I guess. The world is black and white, isn't it..

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
bikinchris
Like?
Guilty as charged
In reply to chiane, May 7, 2012

chiane wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:

Chris, Broussard, LA

So you like pictures of old fat chicks? Skinny girls are being discriminated against thanks to chubby chasers like you. There will be allot more fast food advertising as well.

Guilty as charged. Women are SUPPOSED to have curves. I can't stand a girl with no hips and boobs. Looks like a boy with a boob job added. And I didn't like any teenager I EVER met (Yes, that's when I was a teenager myself) I have always gone towards older women. So double guilty.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:

Chris, Broussard, LA

Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
lownine
Like?
In reply to Paljas, May 7, 2012

Paljas wrote:

lownine wrote:

Paljas wrote:

lownine wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

Stu

No

Stu

I am not really interested in Vogue. My wife and daughters will testify to my lack of any particle of fashion sense. I have more interest in big end bearings and oversize piston rings.

I must humbly confirm my opinion that you are cavalier and naive in believing that the impact and relevance of Vogue and fashion in your life is non existent. You may be a disinterested and unwilling participant like me, but unfortunately there is no escape. Particularly so if you are from the US.

I'm not sure how to get across that Vogue has nothing for me. Even that is a speculative comment since I don't know enough about Vogue to define it other than to say that it's somehow connected with fashion. Given the fuzziness of that word - to me - maybe it should be called "Vague."

Have you ever been in the room while someone was scanning up or down the channels on a TV and something grabbed your attention causing you to say, "Go back"? There are a number of reality shows concerned with fashion or design or modelling (OK, I'm aware they exist), but I can say that "Go back" has never crossed my lips while those images were crossing the TV screen. More like, "Hurry up" or "keep going."

Can anyone give me an example of how Vogue - or anything in it , about it, from it, or connected to it - hits my life with anything but the slightest of glancing blows? You get my wife to acknowledge the "impact and relevance" of Sheet Metal Quarterly and I'll gladly embrace Vogue.

I'll meet you halfway, but with a qualification. Let's say I just take your word for it that Vogue has impact and relevance to my life. (I can't believe I just wrote that.) What does it mean if I have no way to make a conscious connection to Vogue. Does it count? Isn't that a bit like that "tree falls in the forest" question? If a model wears a dress (shoe, necklace, hat, whatever) and she falls over right in front of me and I still don't hear it, did she make a sound?

Stu

chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,178
Like?
Re: Guilty as charged

bikinchris wrote:

chiane wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:

Chris, Broussard, LA

Guilty as charged. Women are SUPPOSED to have curves. I can't stand a girl with no hips and boobs. Looks like a boy with a boob job added. And I didn't like any teenager I EVER met (Yes, that's when I was a teenager myself) I have always gone towards older women. So double guilty.

Women are also suppose to be the smaller, weaker sex. nothing worse than thick women. We don't need them to pull a plow anymore. You know why fashion uses skinny women, because clothes drape better on them. They don't look like a stuffed sausage in a casing. They also don't need to take a breather half way down the runway. I love the model look, and obviously so does the majority of the buying public.

Paljas
Like?

lownine wrote:

Paljas wrote:

lownine wrote:

Paljas wrote:

lownine wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

Stu

No

Stu

I'm not sure how to get across that Vogue has nothing for me. Even that is a speculative comment since I don't know enough about Vogue to define it other than to say that it's somehow connected with fashion. Given the fuzziness of that word - to me - maybe it should be called "Vague."

That would be me

Have you ever been in the room while someone was scanning up or down the channels on a TV and something grabbed your attention causing you to say, "Go back"? There are a number of reality shows concerned with fashion or design or modelling (OK, I'm aware they exist), but I can say that "Go back" has never crossed my lips while those images were crossing the TV screen. More like, "Hurry up" or "keep going."

yep, like me except I would be faster

Can anyone give me an example of how Vogue - or anything in it , about it, from it, or connected to it - hits my life with anything but the slightest of glancing blows? You get my wife to acknowledge the "impact and relevance" of Sheet Metal Quarterly and I'll gladly embrace Vogue.

Best Bearing (not baring!) Review is what I go for. Does your wife read Vogue? I have banned my wife and daughters from reading it.

I'll meet you halfway, but with a qualification. Let's say I just take your word for it that Vogue has impact and relevance to my life. (I can't believe I just wrote that.) What does it mean if I have no way to make a conscious connection to Vogue. Does it count? Isn't that a bit like that "tree falls in the forest" question? If a model wears a dress (shoe, necklace, hat, whatever) and she falls over right in front of me and I still don't hear it, did she make a sound?

Stu

If you have no way to make a conscious or unconscious connection then you are probably quite happy as you are. Don't make any half way concessions. Don't lose your innocence. Maybe notch down the cavalier thing a bit.

I too would be much happier if I could be like you. Unfortunately the trees in the forest are crashing down and I am holding my ears blocking out the thunder with only partial success.
--

bikinchris
Like?
Re: Guilty as charged
In reply to chiane, May 8, 2012

chiane wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

chiane wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

I cheer them.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:

Chris, Broussard, LA

Women are also suppose to be the smaller, weaker sex. nothing worse than thick women. We don't need them to pull a plow anymore. You know why fashion uses skinny women, because clothes drape better on them. They don't look like a stuffed sausage in a casing. They also don't need to take a breather half way down the runway. I love the model look, and obviously so does the majority of the buying public.

So what you are saying is that there is no in between for you. If a girl doesn't look like an emaciated supermodel, she is a fat slob? Count the ribs, then.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:

Chris, Broussard, LA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads