Who went from 7D to 5D MIII?

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
Who went from 7D to 5D MIII?
May 4, 2012

Just wondering if this is a large proportion of people or not. I went from the 7D to 5d MIII and the transition was pretty seamless - I got used to the magnify button being moved pretty quickly. I get a much higher percentage of keepers with the 5D MIII (like 100%!) as far as focus, they have a pop that the 7d pics never had and high ISO noise is SO MUCH BETTER!! I can shoot at 12800 and not worry at all.

To me, a camera does not have to have huge amounts of bells and whistles to be a great tool. It does not have to be the biggest and newest because this always comes with a tradeoff - and rarely is it a simple tradeoff. Maybe these days it's boring for people to just take reliable, consistent pictures, but a camera that just ALWAYS GETS THE SHOT is much appreciated by me. So while some may find the 5D MIII lacking in excitement, it's because it didn't have far to go to become a camera that takes stunning pictures as it had great leading-edge lineage that preceeded it. Great job!

Bill

Bill

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mac west
Senior MemberPosts: 1,200Gear list
Like?
Re: Who went from 7D to 5D MIII?
In reply to billorg, May 4, 2012

I couldn't agree more. Lots of years ago Minolta set the world on fire with the maxxum line, why auto Focus. The best feature of any camera in my opinion is the reliability of the focus system. What good is how fast it focuses if it didn't nail it? That is the reason I left cannon for Nikon. Now I just bought a 5d3 based on the reviews of the focus system I hope It is as good as my Nikon 700 was. I missed Canon Glass.
--
SHOOT TO THRILL: MAC WEST NYC

mac west's gear list:mac west's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
billorg
Like?
In reply to mac west, May 4, 2012

I bought the first Maxxum when it came out for the AF - the AF was terrible, so my camera was permanently switched to MF - but I got thousands of gorgeous pictures with my 50mm 1.4 and 135 2.8. While I never gained the AF, I never was mad or upset ofr felt like selling the camera - things were a lot different in 19785 than they are now. My main gain was auto winding of the film - which I was happy enough for coming from a Canon FTb.

Now I have a Sony system also and love using my old Maxxum lenses - which now focus much faster than they did on the camera they were made for!

So it literally has been since 1995 till 2012 to get to the point where they got AF right - that's a long time but I am thankful we are there!

Bill

birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?

I am loving the 5D3, coming from a 7D the first time I held the 5D3 it was immediately a very familiar feeling. I even like the slight changes made to the layout, all seem quite logical. Everything about the camera is superb, High ISO images, AF performance, Out of Camera jpeg', I could go on it is all good.
So far I am finding that the 5D3 needs very little PP to get great results.

I have kept my 7D for birds and aircraft and yes I think I need to work a bit harder on the PP to get good results but well worth it as the 7D is still a fine camera. It's just not in the same league as the 5D3, but it complements it for those shots requiring reach.

All in all I am very pleased I got myself a 5D3, especially as it cost me the same as the price increased D800 from my favourite dealer!

Just wish the Great British weather would improve!

I wonder if there is a setting for that in the menu somewhere?
--
Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +17 more
PhotoThom
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
In reply to mac west, May 4, 2012

I went that route, pretty easy since most of the 7D functions were copied into the 5Diii.

High ISO is of course a lot better, and AF works extremely well, also with my Sigma primes. Also glad I can now use the 35L to its full potential, my 70-200L 2.8ii delivers better focal range and thinner DOF. I still miss an equivalent of the 17-55 2.8 on full frame though. All in all the 5Diii is an excellent camera for all purposes.

tko
tko
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,897
Like?
yeah, easier path than Mk II to Mk III I think

Almost no learning curve with the Mk III. Took it to a state Taekwondo championship after maybe an hour of review, no problems, no learning curve, worked great pretty much out of the box w/my standard 7d tweaks applied

The nice thing is my 70-200 F2.8 was pretty much useless on my 7d - too long indoors and not fast enough at ISO 1600. On FF though it became a go to lens that could do just about anything. Whoopee, a one lens solution.

And my Sigma 85MM F1.4 became a WOW lens. F1.8 at ISO 3200? Even in gym lighting I was getting crisp, sharp shots at 1/1000th and faster.

JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,276Gear list
Like?

Yep. Through some paying gigs on the side, I had built up my kit to include a 7D and a 5DII. Sold both, and a 5D3 was only $550 more. No brainer. I haven't even cracked the manual yet.

The 5D3 solves what was wrong with both the 7D and 5D2. Well, except for 2 less fps, but that's not a biggie. The IQ of the 5D2 + better than 7D AF + at least a stop more ISO than the 5D2. Heaven.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,276Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoThom, May 4, 2012

PhotoThom wrote:

I still miss an equivalent of the 17-55 2.8 on full frame though.

You can have all of that and more with the 24-105/4L. In full frame terms, the 17-55/2.8 was 27-88 f/4.5.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
billorg
Like?
In reply to JackM, May 4, 2012

I do miss my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 since I sold my 7D. I still have my 20D though and outdoors I could probably use it if I had to or my 70-200 f4 or 2.8L if I needed the reach. Will probably get a 16-35 to replace my 10-22. I had the 24-105 but I just couldn't like what I was getting from it.

Bill

jamesfrmphilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,572Gear list
Like?
last night i dreamed i went from my 7D to a 5D MIII

then i woke up.

S Hoekstra
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?

Hello Bill,

I also had a 7D which i sold to a friend about 6 weeks ago and now i'm still waiting for my 5DMK3 and battery grip. It's nice to read what your experiance is till now with the FF.

I recognized the same things you said about higher iso.

I only wonder how the 5d wil handle my 2 Carl Zeiss lenses.

I'll hope you will have lots of fun with your MK3. Make many nice pictures.

greatings Sikko

billorg wrote:

Just wondering if this is a large proportion of people or not. I went from the 7D to 5d MIII and the transition was pretty seamless - I got used to the magnify button being moved pretty quickly. I get a much higher percentage of keepers with the 5D MIII (like 100%!) as far as focus, they have a pop that the 7d pics never had and high ISO noise is SO MUCH BETTER!! I can shoot at 12800 and not worry at all.

To me, a camera does not have to have huge amounts of bells and whistles to be a great tool. It does not have to be the biggest and newest because this always comes with a tradeoff - and rarely is it a simple tradeoff. Maybe these days it's boring for people to just take reliable, consistent pictures, but a camera that just ALWAYS GETS THE SHOT is much appreciated by me. So while some may find the 5D MIII lacking in excitement, it's because it didn't have far to go to become a camera that takes stunning pictures as it had great leading-edge lineage that preceeded it. Great job!

Bill

Bill

mischivo
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?
I did.

I was very happy with my 7D, except for the cropped sensor and high ISO noise levels. But aside from that, I loved it's speed and ergonomics. I still have a hard time getting used to the placement of the magnify button, and in this regard, I prefer the 7D. Although I love the position of the 5Diii's depth of field preview button, which I've customized to ai-servo focus when depressed.

The reason I upgraded is to have a second body, as I'm starting a wedding business. I also wanted the shallowness of focus offered by a full frame body, which I feel is important for wedding photography.

-- hide signature --

portfolio :: http://pavelkounine.com
daily blog :: http://pavelkounine.com/blog

I shoot film. I shoot digital. Both are great in their own ways. The nice thing about film is that I can always have the most advanced imaging technology around packed into my 20 year old camera. That's one aspect of digital that I loathe.

F.C.G.
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?

I'm also thinking in upgrading to 5D3 from my 7D...

My current lens are 15-85, 100mm Macro IS USM, and the GREAT 70-200 f2.8 II IS...

My only dilemma is.... "which lens are going to replace my 15-85 for travels"???

Tamron 24-70 f2.8 or canon 24-105 f4??

I hope ISO values to be noticeable better than my current 7D at 800-1600!!!

Buchanan
Contributing MemberPosts: 817Gear list
Like?

billorg wrote:

I do miss my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 since I sold my 7D. I still have my 20D though and outdoors I could probably use it if I had to or my 70-200 f4 or 2.8L if I needed the reach. Will probably get a 16-35 to replace my 10-22. I had the 24-105 but I just couldn't like what I was getting from it.

Bill

Just curious what the 24-105 was lacking when paired with your new 5DIII? Had been considering the kit if I go ahead and get the 5DIII. My current walkaround on my 60D is the 17-55 2.8 so would need a new everyday lens if go FF. 24-70 2.8II is more than I would want to spend at the moment.

Tim

Buchanan's gear list:Buchanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +11 more
billorg
Like?
In reply to Buchanan, May 4, 2012

Luckily I bought them separately so I didn't have to return both, though it was an expensive way to do it. The 24 end was really soft especially at a distance, so was useless to me. Overall, there was no pop, just average pictures from it. I didn't want to play the "maybe I got a bad copy" thing so just returned it after seeing others say some similar things. If you have a chance to test before using, I'd recommend that. Those focal lengths would have been great for me. Bill

bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,391Gear list
Like?

Picked up a 5D3 to use as my "people" camera, primarily to shoot my grand kids with my fast primes--35 f/1.4L and Sigma 85 f/1.4. The 5D3's AF is definitely more accurate with these lenses at wide apertures than my 7D's AF. Also enjoying the 5D3's cleaner files and shallower DoF.

I'm keeping my 7D for wildlife, though, for its greater reach (due to it's significantly higher pixel density sensor) and 2 FPS faster burst speed. I also can't bear to part with my EF-S 15-85, which I'll continue using with my 7D as a general purpose walk around combo.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,360Gear list
Like?
An additional opinion
In reply to Buchanan, May 4, 2012

I went from a T2i/17-55 to a 5d3/24-105 and I like the lens a lot. There are better Ls but it is as good as the 17-55 at least.

It is a great walk-around lens and cheap with the kit. I am trying to decide whether or not to go the prime or zoom route going forward.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
bdjalins
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

I did.

Sold my 7D and all my EF-S lenses and bought the 5D MIII with the 24-105 kit.

Just love on the first shoot Coming from the 7D the learning curve is almost non existence. Even coming from 7D I still amaze with MIII's AF. Spot on, even in difficult lighting condition. Love its high ISO as well.

All in all, very-very happy with my move from 7D to MIII.

Some of the pics I took with the MIII..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonadjalins/sets/72157629533268962/with/6997192592/

cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 501Gear list
Like?
I did, too, and I'm very happy

Glad to see others who made the same upgrade. For a 7D owner, the 5D Mark III is the most logical upgrade to a full frame camera. When it came in, I unboxed it at lunch and set it on the coffee table. When my wife came home, she didn't even realize it was the new camera. The ergonomics are virtually the same between the two cameras. The 5D Mark III really does take what was grade about the 7D in terms of performance and add a full frame sensor to it. I'm floored at the image quality, and by how much all of my lenses have come alive (especially the 35L and 17-40L). I'm happy that my 50mm 1.4 lens is now a great walk around, although I did buy the 85mm 1.8 for portraits because I liked that FOV of the 50mm on my 7D. Last, the 100mm L macro lens is a great portrait lens now, not nearly as cramped.

I'm loving this upgrade. I understand all the angst coming from 5D Mark II owners - should they upgrade or not - but for crop sensor cameras, it's a no-brainer upgrade. For 7D owners, it's like your old friend is back and better than ever.

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
Kevin Layer
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
Me, too

The better low light performance is really a boon. Most of my shots are of people in doors. I don't even bring the flash anymore. I get usable shots up to ISO 12,800. ISO 1600 was barely usable on the 7D, for what I do.

Even the outdoor stuff is better with the 5D3. I am absolutely loving this camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads