My compare of Sony NEX-7 and Olympus OM-D

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
Vlad4D
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
My compare of Sony NEX-7 and Olympus OM-D
May 4, 2012

Just want to share results of my quick compare of Sony NEX-7 and Olympus OM-D
(I have both cameras with kit lens for few days)

Pros(+) and cons(-) not sorted by priority:

Olympus:

+Digital tele converter works also for video
+Little stronger maximal zoom of kit lens
+IBIS
+IBIS is really good
+IBIS works with manual lens (just imagine stabilized f/0.95 for night shooting)
+Motorized zoom
+Viewfinder is more clear and bright for me without aliasing, no flicker
+Dedicated video mode, allows to keep separate settings for photo and video
+Mechanical mode dial - allows to set AUTO quickly without looking on LCD screen
+Faster AF (about 20-30 % faster)

-Grip needs to be bigger
-Video is 30 fps - flicker in Europe (where I live)
-Video is 30 fps - not good for sports and kids
-Video: sometimes banding in the sky, some compression errors
-Sharpness of stills is not good (maybe bad lens sample?)
-Not so portable, it is like SLR in height, and kit lens is too long
-Buttons are less responsive
-DOF control is limited (sensor size)

Sony:

+About half stop better ISO noise (I compared ISO6400 jpegs in manual mode)
+Stills are sharp
+Multi frame shoot modes - partially replaces IBIS
+More portable - just fits better in my bad
+Useful internal flash
+Focus peaking
+Proper 50p video

-Some aliasing in video
-IS is less effective
-Shutter button half press is working not very well, causes random refocusing
-No dedicated movie mode (settings are shared between video and photo)
-No tele converter for video

That's just results of my quick compare.

If you have some particular test in mind - just let me know, I’ll see what I can do.

Vlad4D's gear list:Vlad4D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MT
MT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,827
Like?
Re: My compare of Sony NEX-7 and Olympus OM-D
In reply to Vlad4D, May 4, 2012

Are you sure about the ISO noise? I thought the two are supposed to be pretty comparable. Did you first comparess the NEX to 16 mp and then compare?

MTMT

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?

Vlad, I find it best to leave the NEX-7 in manual focusing mode and use the AF/MF button on the back of the camera to autofocus. This gets rid of the NEX-7's need to constantly focus, and it is great for separating metering from AF.

MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479Gear list
Like?

Vlad4D wrote:

Well, the 12-50 is soft.
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
OM-D kit lens is much smaller

It looks like you got the OM-D with the 12-50mm lens which is not the basic kit lens. (There is a Canon kit with a 18-135 lens, and a Sony kit with an 18-250, it would be unfair to compare to them)

The 14-42 is much smaller, lighter and possible a little sharper.

Teski
Forum ProPosts: 13,046Gear list
Like?
No..The 12-50 is the kit lens for the OM-D
In reply to Everdog, May 4, 2012

You can't even get the 14-42 combo with the silver body. The 12-50 is the kit lens for the E-M5 because of the weather sealing.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Teski
Photo-A-Day project - http://www.blipfoto.com/teski
Professional site - http://www.tedescophotography.com

Teski's gear list:Teski's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 II Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +5 more
lowincash
Contributing MemberPosts: 707
Like?

Got some great points there and pretty much same as my experience. Except I think the E-M5's high ISO performance seems better than the NEX-7.

However, I think the E-M5 is a better buy overall, at least for me. For the price Sony NEX-7 with 24mm f1.8 and Tamron 18-200mm lens I get a E-M5 with the kit 12-50mm lens, 45mm f1.8, 40-150mm and 25mm f1.4 lens plus $500 left over. Since I usually downsize all the pics I took to 2000Xwhatever size, the IQ are pretty close.

Are you keeping both camera?
--
I only shoot JPEG =]

bacteria
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?

You state that the NEX is more portable, but omit the fact that its lenses are much bigger than the M4/2's. That kind of negates that point. Especially if you carry multiple lenses around.

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,975Gear list
Like?

As an owner of a NEX-7, I have to say your comparison seems spot on.

In other words, both cameras are amazing, in their own way.

The 10fps and better grip (not to mention tri-navi), sealed the deal for me on my camera.

However, like many of the reviews are saying, it does seem the EM5 is a breakthrough of sorts for the m4/3 crowd, great news for those with the lens investment.

It's kind of like deciding between Canon and Nikon. If you already have a bunch of m4/3 glass, there's not much sense in going to NEX or any other APS-C mirrorless. However, if you are just starting out and need one or two lenses (Sigma 30mm the 50mm f/1.8 OSS), or you have a good amount of legacy glass and want better DoF control, the NEX-7 is a great way to go.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
headofdestiny
Like?
In reply to bacteria, May 4, 2012

bacteria wrote:

You state that the NEX is more portable, but omit the fact that its lenses are much bigger than the M4/2's. That kind of negates that point. Especially if you carry multiple lenses around.

True, although it really depends on the lenses you're using, and the bag you're using. I use Billingham's smallest bag, the Compact Stowaway, and it fits the NEX-7 with the Sigma 19, Sigma 30 and Sony 50 (it fits with any of these lenses attached.) Due to the prism hump of the OM-D, I wouldn't be able to fit that camera into my small bag. That's partially why I got annoyed with my cameras that had hotshoe viewfinders. The lens dimension is always going to be a little longer than the other dimensions of the camera (outside of a few pancakes,) so adding length in another dimension, like with the OM-D's prism hump, actually makes quite a bit more difference.

Don't get me wrong, I think the OM-D is a beautiful camera and certainly the most compelling m4/3 camera to date. I'm just saying that, with the prism hump that adds quite a bit of vertical height compared to the NEX-7, you can't really complain about Sony lens size, because the prism hump makes just as much of a difference (and the Sigma e-mount lenses aren't big, either.)

eilivk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,459Gear list
Like?
In reply to bacteria, May 4, 2012

Just so, and OM-D got IBIS. The grip not as good, but ok with small lenses. So if stills are most important...

bacteria wrote:

eilivk's gear list:eilivk's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Ricoh CX4 Sony RX1 +7 more
stproducer
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?

Nice comparison. One quibble, IBIS does NOT work with manual lenses (such as the Voigtlander .95) in video mode. Grumble Grumble.

Thorgrem
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, May 4, 2012

I don't see any reason now to go the Sony route.

Even if I hadn't any equipment I would have chosen Panasonic/Olympus or if size didn't matter Canon/Nikon/Sony Alpha. The NEX system isn't small. The lens selection is a joke compared to the other players. ect ect.

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,975Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thorgrem, May 4, 2012

Thorgrem wrote:

The lens selection is a joke compared to the other players. ect ect.

We're working on it.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Hosermage
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
In reply to stproducer, May 4, 2012

Huh... do you think that's something they can fix with a firmware update? I don't see any reason to take it away, unless the IBIS needs to communicate with the lens to work?

stproducer wrote:

Nice comparison. One quibble, IBIS does NOT work with manual lenses (such as the Voigtlander .95) in video mode. Grumble Grumble.

-- hide signature --

David Young
My journey into Leica: http://leicalux.com

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, May 4, 2012

MAubrey wrote:

Vlad4D wrote:

Well, the 12-50 is soft.

But there are a lot of other much sharper lenses !

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
Re: No..The 12-50 is the kit lens for the OM-D
In reply to Teski, May 4, 2012

Teski wrote:

You can't even get the 14-42 combo with the silver body. The 12-50 is the kit lens for the E-M5 because of the weather sealing.

This depends upon the country where you are living. Here I can only get it body only or with the 12-50mm, but in other countries you can get both colors with any kit lenses. Granted, the 12-50mm being weather sealed seem made for this body, but the other lens is also available. I think that they added it for those who think the "true" kit is too expensive.

Here in Switzerland, you can't get the E-M5 with the 14-42mm.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

headofdestiny
Like?
In reply to Thorgrem, May 4, 2012

Thorgrem wrote:

I don't see any reason now to go the Sony route.

Even if I hadn't any equipment I would have chosen Panasonic/Olympus or if size didn't matter Canon/Nikon/Sony Alpha. The NEX system isn't small. The lens selection is a joke compared to the other players. ect ect.

It really depends on what you do with your photography. Many shooters, like myself, shoot with one prime a large majority of the time, and only use a few lenses total. So, it's never mattered to me that Canon had a million lens options when shooting SLR, and it doesn't really matter to me how many lenses m4/3 has, as long as the system has a decent wide, standard and shortish tele (which it certainly does.) However, now that Sigma is in the game, NEX has those options for me, too. The Sigma 30's IQ is practically too good to be true on the NEX-7. Granted, the same Sigma lens is available on m4/3, but it's a much different angle of view.

If I was only interested in native lenses a couple of months ago, I would have said that m4/3 (and Samsung NX) certainly has a better lens selection for me, but Sigma has filled in the gaps in the Sony lineup nicely, and there are a few more Sony lenses due out this year.

In the end, I think both the OM-D and NEX-7 are fantastic setups, and it really comes down to shooter preference of some qualities over others, rather than one being a better setup overall. Sony's native lens options are creeping into acceptable territory for many of us, at this point.

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
This post is funny!!!
In reply to Teski, May 4, 2012

Teski wrote:

Where can you get the silver body with any lens??? LOL!

From what I have read you can get the EM5 most places with the standard 14-42 kit lens. That is the exact kit that I bought, so don't tell me you can't!

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
3 questions...
In reply to El Matadurr, May 4, 2012

El Matadurr wrote:

As an owner of a NEX-7, I have to say your comparison seems spot on.

In other words, both cameras are amazing, in their own way.

The 10fps and better grip (not to mention tri-navi), sealed the deal for me on my camera.

So 9 fps was too slow?

I read and have seen pictures that with many lenses the NEX 7 grip becomes unusable because the lens mount is too close to the grip (no room for big fingers). Have you tried it with lenses like the 18-200?

I only briefly tired the tri-nav dials, but prefer the EM-5 dials (I can use them at the same time), have you tried teh E-M5? This is really subjective so I can see people preferring the NEX 7.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads