Sigma 50-500 different models

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
motomanDK
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
Sigma 50-500 different models
May 4, 2012

My next lens - i hope - will be a 50-500mm Sigma.

But as i understand there is 2 models - the 'older' one is an EX model and the newer has OS (optical stabilization) but is NOT an EX model.

Does this mean, that the newer NON EX model isn't as good as the old one optically and mechanically speaking???

Henrik

motomanDK's gear list:motomanDK's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
Halldor Eiriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 50-500 different models
In reply to motomanDK, May 4, 2012

motomanDK wrote:

But as i understand there is 2 models - the 'older' one is an EX model and the newer has OS (optical stabilization) but is NOT an EX model.

Does this mean, that the newer NON EX model isn't as good as the old one optically and mechanically speaking???

No, it's even better optically, the EX tag is now only used on Sigma zooms with constant maximum aperture, at least their homepage only list 3 EX zoom lenses and they all have constant max aperture.

Henrik

-- hide signature --
 Halldor Eiriksson's gear list:Halldor Eiriksson's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma SD15 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter A. Stavrakoglou
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,252Gear list
Like?
In reply to Halldor Eiriksson, May 4, 2012

Halldor Eiriksson wrote:

motomanDK wrote:

No, it's even better optically, the EX tag is now only used on Sigma zooms with constant maximum aperture, at least their homepage only list 3 EX zoom lenses and they all have constant max aperture.

That's correct. Only zooms with a constant aperture are labeled as "EX" lenses.
--
My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list:Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma SD15 Canon EOS 7D Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +15 more
rick decker
Forum ProPosts: 11,223
Like?
In reply to motomanDK, May 4, 2012
Chuck Lantz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,872Gear list
Like?
In reply to motomanDK, May 8, 2012

I've owned both models, and as mentioned by others, the new OS model is improved across the board.

-- hide signature --

"If they're not screaming at you to get out of the way, you're not close enough" - I thought this was original, but it's very close to what someone else said. Oh, well.

"Not to compete whole-heartedly, with a will to win, degrades the sport and insults the competition" - anonymous Olympic long-distance runner

"Mongo not know ... Mongo just pawn in game of life." - Mongo

http://www.ChuckLantz.com

Chuck Lantz's gear list:Chuck Lantz's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-Z1080 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D2X Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 +9 more
Davethepom
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?
In reply to Chuck Lantz, May 8, 2012

I have the old one, but its still my favorite lens. Is the newer OS one "that" much better?

Pom

Chuck Lantz
Like?
In reply to Davethepom, May 8, 2012

Davethepom wrote:

I have the old one, but its still my favorite lens. Is the newer OS one "that" much better?

That's really a tough question to answer, and that in itself sort of answers the question. Just about everything on the new OS 50-500 has been improved, but that doesn't mean the older version isn't a really great lens.

The addition of OS is a huge plus, of course. With the older version I used a monopod whenever possible, but hand-held shots were still possible if I was careful. I usually shot at 500s with the old version, at or near 500mm, and was able to get sharp shots.

With OS, I haven't used a monopod and can kick it down to 400s or 320s hand-held at 500mm with no problems. The OS allows me to be a bit lazy and still get sharp shots, which is especially helpful when I'm bouncing around on a photo boat.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you've never used an OS 50-500, you won't miss having the OS, but once you've tried it, it would be hard to go back. Hope that makes some sense.

Casio Exilim EX-Z1080 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D2X Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 +9 more
Davethepom
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?
In reply to Chuck Lantz, May 9, 2012

Chuck,

Perfect Thanks!

Pom

Fight2FlyPhoto
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Chuck Lantz, May 10, 2012

Chuck Lantz wrote:

Davethepom wrote:

That's really a tough question to answer, and that in itself sort of answers the question. Just about everything on the new OS 50-500 has been improved, but that doesn't mean the older version isn't a really great lens.

The addition of OS is a huge plus, of course. With the older version I used a monopod whenever possible, but hand-held shots were still possible if I was careful. I usually shot at 500s with the old version, at or near 500mm, and was able to get sharp shots.

With OS, I haven't used a monopod and can kick it down to 400s or 320s hand-held at 500mm with no problems. The OS allows me to be a bit lazy and still get sharp shots, which is especially helpful when I'm bouncing around on a photo boat.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you've never used an OS 50-500, you won't miss having the OS, but once you've tried it, it would be hard to go back. Hope that makes some sense.

Man, you gotta push that envelope a tad! I shoot WWII aircraft as low as 1/40 handheld at 500mm using the "old" lens with fantastic results! In fact, I never shoot faster than 1/200. The old version is worth its weight in gold, I've put that thing through blowing ice and snow, and 150 degree heat on airport tarmacs. Owned it for 6 years, up until 2 weeks ago when it got stolen.

Chuck Lantz
Like?
In reply to Fight2FlyPhoto, May 10, 2012

Fight2FlyPhoto wrote:

Man, you gotta push that envelope a tad! I shoot WWII aircraft as low as 1/40 handheld at 500mm using the "old" lens with fantastic results! In fact, I never shoot faster than 1/200. The old version is worth its weight in gold, I've put that thing through blowing ice and snow, and 150 degree heat on airport tarmacs. Owned it for 6 years, up until 2 weeks ago when it got stolen.

I feel your pain. My non-OS 50-500 was stolen, too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads