Sony, where is the FF 36MP Alpha SLT?

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
MCromer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138
Like?
Sony, where is the FF 36MP Alpha SLT?
May 4, 2012

My Alpha 65 is a tremendous image capturing device. But I'd like even more dynamic range and resolution.

So where is it? You're losing Alpha mount landscape photographers to Nikon while people wait for this camera.

Just throw it in an alpha 65 body as is and call it your budget FF for $2000. I'll buy it. People who want some kind of better EVF and software can wait another year. But I don't want to wait.

steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,735
Like?
Re: Sony, where is the FF 36MP Alpha SLT?
In reply to MCromer, May 4, 2012

knowing sony, I think the next FF will be 54 mpix.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OldschoolRu
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, May 4, 2012

steelhead3 wrote:

knowing sony, I think the next FF will be 54 mpix.

Nah, 99 MP!

OldschoolRu's gear list:OldschoolRu's gear list
Nikon D600
NPPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, May 4, 2012

Then you don't know Sony.

-- hide signature --

Nick P

Mandude
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?
In reply to NPPhoto, May 4, 2012

Then do you know Sony?

NPPhoto wrote:

Then you don't know Sony.

-- hide signature --

Nick P

Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,593
Like?

MCromer wrote:

My Alpha 65 is a tremendous image capturing device. But I'd like even more dynamic range and resolution.

So where is it? You're losing Alpha mount landscape photographers to Nikon while people wait for this camera.

Just throw it in an alpha 65 body as is and call it your budget FF for $2000. I'll buy it. People who want some kind of better EVF and software can wait another year. But I don't want to wait.

Won't be $2000 and will be here fall 2013, maybe.

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,017Gear list
Like?

MCromer wrote:

If it's an SLT design, then they have already lost.

And, SLT or not, maybe by the end of next year. Maybe!!!

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
Trollmann
Senior MemberPosts: 1,158
Like?
where is...
In reply to GodSpeaks, May 4, 2012

They have already lost - only SLTs from this source from now on (24 MP FF in august this year, 36 MP FF next year if the hottest rumors are true). Look at what Sony offer now - the x7 series seems to be well established and quite popular (despite some diverging opinions) and the FF cameras will most likely follow that form factor and trend.

That is: the looser is the winner...

shoevarek
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
You are a bit too late

Sony Alpha Rumors site reported that due to success of A99, rumored to be released last year and immediately sold out, Sony is heavily investing in medium format A999 SLR which is rumored to be released next week. All rumored preorders are rumored to be already sold out as well. Given such immediate successes Sony Alpha Rumors site reports insider rumor stating that the next on Sony long term camera road map is large format A9999. This is however rumor level 0.5 so the credibility of that rumor is rumored to be questioned.

Given the above prepare for new Sony TV, B007, being released next quarter. No more FF cameras.

cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
If you don't want to wait...

then when are you leaving, and where are you going?

MCromer wrote:

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,408
Like?
I hope...

... they're first ironing out possible problems before release. Problems such as:

• light leak

• green LCD cast

• exploding camera's

• lock ups

• shadow banding

• UI lag

rjjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,661
Like?
Re: I hope...
In reply to TrojMacReady, May 4, 2012

You forgot excessive noise at ISO 1600 and above.

NPPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
In reply to Mandude, May 4, 2012

I was replying to a stupid post.
--
Nick P

Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133Gear list
Like?
Re: You are a bit too late
In reply to shoevarek, May 4, 2012

shoevarek wrote:

Sony Alpha Rumors site reported that due to success of A99, rumored to be released last year and immediately sold out,

How? A99 doesn't exist yet. No one knows what it even will really be at launch later this year.

?!?!?!?!?!??!

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +6 more
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,408
Like?
Re: I hope...
In reply to rjjr, May 4, 2012

rjjr wrote:

You forgot excessive noise at ISO 1600 and above.

Nah. No doubts there.

cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
How dense are you?
In reply to Stflbn, May 4, 2012

Didn't you notice it was a joke? Some people on this forum take things too seriously.

Stflbn wrote:

shoevarek wrote:

Sony Alpha Rumors site reported that due to success of A99, rumored to be released last year and immediately sold out,

How? A99 doesn't exist yet. No one knows what it even will really be at launch later this year.

?!?!?!?!?!??!

Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
If Sony is wise, ...
In reply to TrojMacReady, May 4, 2012

If Sony is wise, it won't unveil an a99 until all the Sonyfans have already bought the APS-C alphas and until all the buzz over the 5D Miii andD800 has died.

September or October, maybe. Deliverable by February or March, 2013.

Anyone who insists on anything sooner will might as well wiss in the pind.

davidkachel
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?
Re: If Sony is wise, ...
In reply to Cy Cheze, May 5, 2012

Since Sony is quite clearly in doubt about what photographers want (but not necessarily about what they intend to do), it would certainly make sense for Sony to simply ASK their registered a900 and a850 owners what they would like to see in the next FF camera. They haven't asked me. Have they asked you? (Anyone?)

If not, then they clearly did hire the "New Coke" idiot, just as I have theorized.
--

People who utter the phrase 'I have a good eye' should be beaten to death with their
cameras... being careful to leave a corpse with one good eye!

Kirk Tuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?
Re: If Sony is wise, ...
In reply to davidkachel, May 5, 2012

I don't understand at all. I'm coming from a Canon 5Dmk2 and I find the Sony a77 at 50 ISO (you are landscape photographers, right???????) has incredible dynamic range, exceeded only by a few MF cameras and the Nikon D800 (and not by much). At 50 ISO it is ABSOLUTELY noise free and wickedly sharp. Test show it to have lower noise and better DR performance at 100 and under that just about any competitor at any price. So why all the pathos? Or is landscape now all about ISO 25,000?

Jeez. All that for $1399. You've got to be damaged not to understand the value proposition.
--

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. http://www.kirktuck.com

Kirk Tuck's gear list:Kirk Tuck's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
MCromer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138
Like?
Re: If you don't want to wait...
In reply to cyainparadise, May 5, 2012

I'm not leaving. Just want my FF 36MP dSLT!

cyainparadise wrote:
then when are you leaving, and where are you going?

MCromer wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads