Do you really want to post your pictures ... ?

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
drummerman
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
Do you really want to post your pictures ... ?
May 4, 2012

I am first to admit that I am no Master Photographer but some of the pictures posted here, often to show off aquisition of the latest/greatest camera (OM-D at present but by no means the only camera/make) are, well, not a great advertisement for either camera or owner. I have to admit I didn't notice it to the extend I do now but I guess a £1000+ camera makes it the more obvious that no matter what the tool (its just that, but I have a feeling that certain people almost look at it as more than that) it really is the skill of the person using it.

So I'll ask, would you kindly consider asking yourself whether it is really worth to post your snaps/pictures here or perhaps better to wait til you got the hang of it, be that camera or skills? On the other hand, if you make claims and grand statements, perhaps you should show your own results to back up what you say ... this would either leave you open to riducule or make your point stronger and of help to others.

In all fairness, I probably should post this in every forum.

regards

texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,530Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you really want to post your pictures ... ?
In reply to drummerman, May 4, 2012

No, not really. I've taken a few hundred photos with my E-M5 over the past 5 days that I've had it.

Between being sorely out of practice and unfamiliar with my new camera, I don't think any of the photos I've taken, so far, are technically good enough to show to anyone but friends and family.

This is my first m43, and my first Olympus. I'm still figuring out the settings and learning the DOF characteristics. On top of all of that, I've grown generally rusty during my 3+ year photography hiatus.

I've got some more learning and practicing to do before I'm likely to post anything here (other than, perhaps, to get tips on what I could be doing to improve).

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marvin Doering
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571Gear list
Like?
In reply to texinwien, May 4, 2012

Posting of photos are an integral part of the discussing of topics, either pro or con. I agree that you can only view so many pictures of brick walls, but, by and large, I enjoy seeing the generally beautiful photos that members post. I don't personally post, but that is mainly because I don't know how to do it. I wish they would have a section of the web site explaining how to post photos.
--
MRD

Marvin Doering's gear list:Marvin Doering's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-620 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
drusus
Contributing MemberPosts: 596Gear list
Like?

drummerman wrote:

I am first to admit that I am no Master Photographer but some of the pictures posted here, often to show off aquisition of the latest/greatest camera (OM-D at present but by no means the only camera/make) are, well, not a great advertisement for either camera or owner. I have to admit I didn't notice it to the extend I do now but I guess a £1000+ camera makes it the more obvious that no matter what the tool (its just that, but I have a feeling that certain people almost look at it as more than that) it really is the skill of the person using it.

So I'll ask, would you kindly consider asking yourself whether it is really worth to post your snaps/pictures here or perhaps better to wait til you got the hang of it, be that camera or skills? On the other hand, if you make claims and grand statements, perhaps you should show your own results to back up what you say ... this would either leave you open to riducule or make your point stronger and of help to others.

In all fairness, I probably should post this in every forum.

regards

And how are we supposed to know when our pictures have become good enough to satisfy your standards?

If you want to take on the role of picture quality police, then yes, you should probably post your comment in every forum. But in all fairness, all forums could probably do without your post.

Drusus

drusus's gear list:drusus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,036Gear list
Like?
How else will you learn?

Yes, a lot of us are probably less than optimal - until I got the EM5, I had sort of pushed photography aside for the past year, just lost interest in it. In that respect, the EM5 has reinvigorated many of us. And there may be some owner pride in action, I suppose, perhaps more than the results justify.

Online critique, however harsh, is a good reality check. Better still would be suggestions on improvements. Don't just say it sucks, say why, and what you might do differently.

How else will we know what we need to change? I didn't buy this so I can fondle it and memorize the specs. I bought it to use it.

TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
JohnBGood
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?
Yes they want to...

Everybody is entitled to his opinion, however, this is a FORUM, not a gallery, and as far as I'm concerned when I see other people pictures, even the trivial ones, often they will inspire me, there is also the fact that when we post our pictures other can then give us advice on how to improve our skills, no one is perfect and we always can benefit from positive criticism.

So NO I would not advise people to refrain from posting any pictures, there's always something to learn and I for one sure am an avid learner, and one day, perhaps, talent will come

Regards

-- hide signature --

A mind is like a parachute, it works better when open.

JohnBGood's gear list:JohnBGood's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
DougRight
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Sharing lessons learned

I suppose the tradition of the early shot started by persons answering requests to give them shots of new equipment as soon as possible. But the shots that matter need to be telling us something ... Ah, this is a difficult metering shot, look at how it was handled or this is a show of distortion, etc.. In that regard, pictures of a parking lot outside the camera store tell us nothing except the giddy enthusiasm of the new owner. I can't say that's an awful thing... Like watching a kid at Christmas... It kinda warms my dead heart.

But I will say that mastered equipment only photos are not necessary. I actually would like to see more lessons learned photos and why didn't this work photos. Engage the our community, generate some interesting conversation, etc. to me a much more interesting way to talk about equipment, and the inane declarative shouting matches that I see too much here.

drummerman
Like?
Re: How else will you learn?
In reply to TrapperJohn, May 4, 2012

TrapperJohn wrote:

Yes, a lot of us are probably less than optimal - until I got the EM5, I had sort of pushed photography aside for the past year, just lost interest in it. In that respect, the EM5 has reinvigorated many of us. And there may be some owner pride in action, I suppose, perhaps more than the results justify.

Online critique, however harsh, is a good reality check. Better still would be suggestions on improvements. Don't just say it sucks, say why, and what you might do differently.

How else will we know what we need to change? I didn't buy this so I can fondle it and memorize the specs. I bought it to use it.

You are of course right and I should have made that aspect clearer in my post. I think it is fine and educational to post pictures inviting comments , good or bad. At least the purpose is obvious if done so. Unfortunately there will always be the deluded ones that post for the afromentioned reasons.

regards

regards

BungHole
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?

All I see from you in your posts are argumentative and inflaming statements, you have no gear list, no galleries, no challenges, no photos posted. You seem only here to tell people what is best or why their choices are wrong.
--

I need TP for my BungHole

BungHole's gear list:BungHole's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
drummerman
Like?
In reply to BungHole, May 4, 2012

BungHole wrote:

All I see from you in your posts are argumentative and inflaming statements, you have no gear list, no galleries, no challenges, no photos posted. You seem only here to tell people what is best or why their choices are wrong.
--

Your point being? Its an open forum. I throw questions up others perhaps wouldn't.

I like good pictures and appreciate photographic skill. None of which were shown in your other current thread (imo). I am sure you can do both, why not wait a little?

You didnt invite any invite for opinions with your pictures. You clearly wanted to show off your new tool. It didnt quite work I have to say, at least not for me.

regards

texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,530Gear list
Like?
Don't take criticism personally
In reply to BungHole, May 4, 2012

If you post photos here, you should expect that they'll be criticized. Don't take that criticism personally.

Of course, the best criticism is constructive criticism, but not everyone is good at that.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
kgwhite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,324Gear list
Like?

If you like to take pictures and socialize about the images you make then you should post and share what you do. Not everybody will be interested in doing that.

From my point of view shooting and posting your pictures will make you a better photographer. You will evaluate your own work differently when you know others will see it. Forum members may provide feedback as well. There are several people here who consistently provide useful feedback.

Photography is an interactive and collaborative activity between you and your audience. Hopefully more than an audience of one. Take the plunge and post your images. Could be fun.

OdzBodkinz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,413
Like?

Get over yourself. This is a place for all levels of experience. If you only want to see what you deem as good photography, you should probably search out pro blogs, magazines, books etc. All who are eager to share and learn are welcome here.

drummerman wrote:

BungHole wrote:

--

Your point being? Its an open forum. I throw questions up others perhaps wouldn't.

I like good pictures and appreciate photographic skill. None of which were shown in your other current thread (imo). I am sure you can do both, why not wait a little?

You didnt invite any invite for opinions with your pictures. You clearly wanted to show off your new tool. It didnt quite work I have to say, at least not for me.

regards

-- hide signature --

Money can't buy happiness....It has to be converted into photo equipment first.

drummerman
Like?
In reply to kgwhite, May 4, 2012

kgwhite wrote:

If you like to take pictures and socialize about the images you make then you should post and share what you do. Not everybody will be interested in doing that.

From my point of view shooting and posting your pictures will make you a better photographer. You will evaluate your own work differently when you know others will see it. Forum members may provide feedback as well. There are several people here who consistently provide useful feedback.

Photography is an interactive and collaborative activity between you and your audience. Hopefully more than an audience of one. Take the plunge and post your images. Could be fun.

Thank you and for the most part, I agree but people that feel an expensive camera makes them good photographers dont rate highly on my list. - As for myself, when eventually I feel I am up to (my own previous) standards, I will of course try and 'contribute' as well as invite opinions on my work.

regards

JohnBGood
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?
Critics are good, Dissing is not...

On this point I agree wholeheartedly with Bunghole,

Mr Drummerman, is appointing himself lately as the "good taste Police", and as far as I'M concerned he did not offered ANY constructive criticism of Bunghole pictures, Bunghole comment is accurate, drummerman only dissed his work without offering ANY pointers on how to improve said pictures, NO pictures are perfect mr drummerman, save for some masterpieces, we all are here to learn from one another and SHARE our passion, not trying to lower other so we can raise ourselves.

And texinwein said it very well

Of course, the best criticism is constructive criticism, but not everyone is good at that.
END OF QUOTE

-- hide signature --

A mind is like a parachute, it works better when open.

JohnBGood's gear list:JohnBGood's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
DougRight
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: Don't take criticism personally
In reply to texinwien, May 4, 2012

Very true, and I think the heart of so many grudge matches here. I'll offer a personal experience.

I once posted a photo asking why the metering came out so bad. I was expecting some tips on how to better handle that lighting condition, etc. one reply I got was something like, it's a bad photo. Not helpful I thought, and soon shortly it erupted into a tiff. The poster later clarified that he meant that it's not a good idea to try to compose the photo in the extreme lighting conditions I was aiming for. Now that feedback has some value, and taking the time to write four complete sentences instead of "bad photo" would have saved us all time in the long run, and kept the conversation on track. In disconnected posts, we have to take the extra step to convey our intent in the tone, or it is too easily misconstrued.

muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?

the way i look at these situations is, someone is always going to better than you pure and simple, but by showing some work you can get constructive criticism which can help with certain aspects, I'm a far better musician than photographer but it still doesn't stop me taking pictures, enjoy your gear you paid for it......i hope.
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

drummerman
Like?
Re: Critics are good, Dissing is not...
In reply to JohnBGood, May 4, 2012

JohnBGood wrote:

On this point I agree wholeheartedly with Bunghole,

Mr Drummerman, is appointing himself lately as the "good taste Police", and as far as I'M concerned he did not offered ANY constructive criticism of Bunghole pictures, Bunghole comment is accurate, drummerman only dissed his work without offering ANY pointers on how to improve said pictures ...

Where would I have started ... ? (But I did, in longwinded way, suggest a compact so there was some constructive criticism)

regards

ebbesen
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
In reply to OdzBodkinz, May 4, 2012

Of course it's not up to the OP to dictate the rules of this forum, but neither is it up to you.

A suggestion that you apply some sort of filter before posting is no less welcome than your picture of the parking lot in front of the camera store.

If you choose to post your pictures you should be willing to accept (possibly unfair) criticism.

ebbesen's gear list:ebbesen's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
OdzBodkinz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,413
Like?

You have no idea about what you're talking about. How on Earth are you able to surmise, through a web browser, how people feel about a gear purchase? I dont consider the EM5 to be an expensive camera. I also dont think that any camera makes me a better photographer and as an avid reader and contributor to this forum I cant say that I have experienced the same conclusions you made.

drummerman wrote:

kgwhite wrote:

Thank you and for the most part, I agree but people that feel an expensive camera makes them good photographers dont rate highly on my list. - As for myself, when eventually I feel I am up to (my own previous) standards, I will of course try and 'contribute' as well as invite opinions on my work.

regards

-- hide signature --

Money can't buy happiness....It has to be converted into photo equipment first.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads