D4's back is plastic?

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
mitsosmitsou
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
D4's back is plastic?
May 4, 2012

I got a D4 in my hands for a couple of hours yesterday and I noticed that the

back is made of polycarbonate! Did I see well? What a pity! this must be the 1st pro

Nikon SLR with plastic back. This means that after some hours of usage the back will

get ugly-shiny as always the plastic parts of my cameras and lenses get . Why? Is
magnesium so expensive? Is it difficult expensive to manufacture?Is the D800's
back the same?

Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lea5
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
it's magnesium alloy
In reply to mitsosmitsou, May 4, 2012

D4 & D800 are made of magnesium alloy.

mitsosmitsou wrote:

back is made of polycarbonate! Did I see well? What a pity! this must be the 1st pro

Nikon SLR with plastic back. This means that after some hours of usage the back will

get ugly-shiny as always the plastic parts of my cameras and lenses get . Why? Is
back the same?

Lea5's gear list:Lea5's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,795Gear list
Like?
Allergic to plastic materials?

mitsosmitsou wrote:

back the same?

Hm. I cannot help wodering ... Are there a lot of people with allergies to plastic materials?

The reason I am asking are these weird questions which keep popping up every now and then, where people are upset when they discover that plastic materials are used in cameras and lenses.

I mean it cannot be becuase they really are so backwards they actually think platics are generally inferior?

(And no, the D800 and D4 have a chassi built from magnesium alloy, while - thankfully - some surfaces are made of or covered with platic materials)

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!

By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
mitsosmitsou
Like?
Re: it's magnesium alloy
In reply to Lea5, May 4, 2012

Although the photo is of D800, probably the D4 is the same. Then it would be

my idea although I did the "tongue test" where you place your tongue and check the
temperature of the material and usually this test is accurate! Thanks anyway...

mitsosmitsou
Like?
Re: Allergic to plastic materials?
In reply to Grevture, May 4, 2012

As once popular photography wrote (when it was a big magazine), "why skyscrapers

are not made of polygarbonate, then"? Of course plastic is inferior to magnesium...

Grevture wrote:

mitsosmitsou wrote:

back the same?

Hm. I cannot help wodering ... Are there a lot of people with allergies to plastic materials?

The reason I am asking are these weird questions which keep popping up every now and then, where people are upset when they discover that plastic materials are used in cameras and lenses.

I mean it cannot be becuase they really are so backwards they actually think platics are generally inferior?

(And no, the D800 and D4 have a chassi built from magnesium alloy, while - thankfully - some surfaces are made of or covered with platic materials)

-- hide signature --

It just smell funny

joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,229Gear list
Like?

mitsosmitsou wrote:

As once popular photography wrote (when it was a big magazine), "why skyscrapers

are not made of polygarbonate, then"? Of course plastic is inferior to magnesium...

Why aren't skyscrapers made out of magnesium?

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
hkenh
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: D4's back is plastic?
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to hkenh, May 4, 2012

Magnesium Alloy, not plastic. Μην ανησυχήστε, Mitso.

Cheers, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
xrdbear
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,624
Like?

mitsosmitsou wrote:

The people who design these cameras are not idiots. This is a top of range camera, every material is chosen because it does the best possible job without turning the camera into a NASA project. The body is chosen to be magnesium allot for maximum rigidity with minimum weight and able to survive impact. The Polycarbonate skins are used in places where they can save further weight while allowing excellent accuracy of complex moulding and have the rigidity to support weather seals etc.

There will be other reasons I'm sure but the best way to dispel any anxieties is to get out and enjoy the camera.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,709
Like?

I think the possible models you ever will shoot with a D4 will contain more plastic than the actual D4 camera itself

Michel

mitsosmitsou wrote:

back the same?

-- hide signature --
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,055Gear list
Like?
So you stuck your tounge on your camera

And came here to report a plastic back D4. Google is your friend. 30 sec of search would have revealed the truth. Kind of funny though.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Scott McMorrow
Regular MemberPosts: 340
Like?

Funny. Plastics are derided as inferior, however, if we reinforce them they are stronger by weight than any metal. Carbon fiber (graphite fiber reinforced epoxy "plastic") comes to mind.

jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215Gear list
Like?
Re: it's magnesium alloy

mitsosmitsou wrote:

Although the photo is of D800, probably the D4 is the same.

Actually, that photo is of the D7000 - not the D800!

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul
Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?

I don't know about material but it covered with something Nikon call "Thermal Shield".

They claimed it better for outdoor used.

-- hide signature --

I'm photographer from Thailand and English not my primary, sorry.

Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul's gear list:Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8
Lifer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Like?
In reply to Scott McMorrow, May 4, 2012

They use carbon fiber products in aircraft bodies. Anybody who doesn't think it measures up is uninformed.

-- hide signature --

Richard R. Price

Lifer's gear list:Lifer's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 507Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lifer, May 4, 2012

Plastic skin absorbs heat and cold much more slowly than metal and is a much better insulator. My old Nikon FM is not a treat to use on a cold day.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
Grevture
Like?
Bingo! ;)
In reply to Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul, May 4, 2012

Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul wrote:

I don't know about material but it covered with something Nikon call "Thermal Shield".

Or in everyday language: Plastic

They claimed it better for outdoor used.

Yep, it indeed is. I often work outdoors in freezing temperatures with my gear, and I have a very limited love for metal surfaces ...

-- hide signature --

It just smell funny

Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Grevture
Like?
The myths about inferior 'plastic' materials

mitsosmitsou wrote:

As once popular photography wrote (when it was a big magazine), "why skyscrapers are not made of polygarbonate, then"?

As someone else asked: If so, why aren't skyscapers built in magnesioum alloy then?

If skyscrapers is the model to how we should build our cameras, they would be built of steel, concrete and glass. I am not convinced that would be such a good idea

Of course plastic is inferior to magnesium...

Wrong. Plain and utterly wrong.

Are you aware there are more then one type of and quality of plastics? Actually, there are thousands, upon thousands of different plastic materials of every type with different properties. Some very elastic, others very rigid, others unbelivably strong, others rather weak. Some cheap, some expensive and many in between.

There are plastics which are much stronger then magnesium alloy, and lighter to boot. So why arent they used? Because they are very expensive to form into precision chassis like the ones we have in cameras.

Back in 2008, at the Photokina fair, I spoke to a japanese Canon engineeer about materials. He said they could build a Eos 1D which was something like 15% lighter the the current design (using a magnesium alloy chassi), and which would be much stronger. So why didn't they? Well, such a camera would probably need to be three or four times more expensive (and the 1D was not cheap even back then) just to pay for manufacturing such a plastic chassi. So in essence, one could say they use not the best materials in their pro bodies, but the cheaper ones

It all boil down to a balance between price (for the material itself, and for forming it) and what properties it can offer. In a cheap camera you use cheap platics which are weaker then magnesium alloy. In pro cameras they use magnesium alloy because it offers a good balance between strength and price of manufacturing. And to some degree because the metal is practical for heat dissapation, something plastic materials are less good at. And that is incidently also the same reason you do not want metal surfaces where you hold your camera or lens - heat dissapation which translates into freezing your fingers off in cold weather.

Metal makes sense for some parts of cameras, platics for others. And there is no general rule saying plastics is inferior to metal. Some are, others are not. The manufacturers tend to use what makes sense from a cost/performance perspective. The fear or plastic materials is just an uninformed emotional reaction from people who a) has obviously never used their gear in sub zero environments and b) are unaware that many plastic materials are actually way superior to metal.

Grevture wrote:

mitsosmitsou wrote:

back the same?

-- hide signature --

It just smell funny

-- hide signature --

It just smell funny

Doug Pitts
Senior MemberPosts: 2,089
Like?
Re: The myths about inferior 'plastic' materials

...what else can the amateurs inform us of??

RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,697Gear list
Like?
Re: D4's back is plastic? I prefer cast iron!
 RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads