Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
em_dee_aitch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675
Like?
Re: Nikon Denies All AutoFocus Problems
In reply to Julian Vrieslander, May 5, 2012

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

em_dee_aitch wrote:

Personally I went through three copies of that lens on known-good bodies and kept the third.

Just curious - which lens? Unless I missed something, you have only mentioned "1.4G".

The 24, 35, 50 and 85. I personally use all but the 35. The 85 is the best and the 24 is the worst... You might not notice it with the 85G if you had not had the AF-D version first. I commented on this in detail long ago, but if you take the best 85 percent of shots (with regard to focus accuracy) when using either lens, what I find is that the 85G is more accurate in its best 85 percent than the AF-D version is, but on the other hand the 85G misses by a wider margin in its worst 15 percent than the AF-D does.

When I went through a service calibration attempt on the 50, the tech (not Dentry in this case, but reports ultimately to his org I think) said they could repro the behavior with their own 50 and that they found a "fix" to apply to my lens. The fix after extended use proved to have not really fixed anything. The 24 misses by really gross wide margins when it misses, so bad that being stopped down to f/11 can't hide it. Dentry is the one who acknowledged the issue with regard to the 24. Lloyd Chambers has made comments on the 24, 35, and 85; some of those comments are behind his pay wall and some in his blog.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
em_dee_aitch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675
Like?
Re: The problem is . . .
In reply to Marianne Oelund, May 5, 2012

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Bruce Bracken wrote:

"Mr Bracken,

Based on the samples you've provide we feel your camera to be working within specifications, but the only way to tell for sure is to have our service technicians have a look so if you'd like to send it in we'd be happy to evaluate it. Thanks you for the time."

The problem, of course, is that Nikon won't share exactly what their specs are. It is likely that if they did, we'd be shocked at how lax they are.

Our only recourse in the end, is to find a tech who is sympathetic to our needs, and willing to spend the time required to optimize our equipment beyond the specifications.

Totally agree.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

Julian Vrieslander
Contributing MemberPosts: 919
Like?
In reply to em_dee_aitch, May 5, 2012

em_dee_aitch wrote:

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

em_dee_aitch wrote:

Personally I went through three copies of that lens on known-good bodies and kept the third.

Just curious - which lens? Unless I missed something, you have only mentioned "1.4G".

The 24, 35, 50 and 85. I personally use all but the 35. The 85 is the best and the 24 is the worst...

You singled out one lens as "so freakin' good" that you were willing to tolerate focus bracketing in order to assure yourself of getting a good shot. Can I assume that this is the 85mm f/1.4G? That's one that might be on my wish list.

SUPERHOKIE
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
In reply to Julian Vrieslander, May 5, 2012

And the circus continues...

What do you expect from customer service reps?

Just send it in and have the technicians take a look.

I can't believe a "pro" who has spent on 20K on Nikon gear would play this foolish game with customer service department for 2 weeks and then make a posting about it.

It doesn't matter how much you've spent. 20K isn't really a lot of money, for real.

Most of us spend 20k -35k on a car fully knowing the value will eventually deteriorate to something close to zero. So spending 20k on some lenses that will only go up in value over time is not a big deal.

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230Gear list
Like?
Re: Fact: a significant number of D800 and D4 present some important
In reply to D800, May 5, 2012

D800 wrote:

Sure, there is fallout for any product but how Nikon deals with this fallout is unacceptable in this modern world. Denial of serious production issue from support centers and "ninja" fix it are exactly what Nikon's doing now. We are in 21st, not 17/18 centuries.

Are you playing the fool?

The whole point is NOBODY in this thread has produced the slightest shred of evidence, using basic sensible testing technique, of a fault

There are several at dpreview but very few elsewhere complaining after using garbage technique - which might be understandable in the 17th century when few were educated.

In the 21st century it should be easy enough for at least 1 dpreview poster to post an image which shows, testing sensibly, the fault being discussed exists.
Why is there no such post ?
--
Leonard Shepherd

99% of photo equipment is good or very good. The main thing to do with it is to learn to use it well.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
xrdbear
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,650
Like?
Re: Try your camera instruction book for a start.
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, May 5, 2012

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

My suggestion is to try a better AF target taped to the front of LensAlign.
For guidance on what to avoid as a target try your camera instructions or
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4585

If AF was behaved as badly as that advice suggests it would be difficult to find any shooting situation where the camera could achieve focus.

Sorry - I cannot see the the connection between Nikon's caution symmetrical targets can sometimes cause mis focus and your suggestion that means Nikon's AF cannot work with ANY AF target

Is that as dumb as saying a car which cannot be driven safely round a snow or ice covered corner at 70 mph cannot be driven safely on ANY road?

Having looked at the totality of their advice on AF I was suggesting that they have covered their bases sufficiently to explain how the camera would fail to focus whatever subject you pointed the camera at. My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek but trying to point out that Nikon are being wildly overcautious in their advice on symmetrical or repeating subjects. I have tried to get Nikon AF in the past to demonstrate this problem in five different DSLRs I own and I have never been able to get it to fail. On the other hand I'm not in the habit of photographing sheets of graph paper. Even the sides of modern buildings have sufficient imperfections to enable phase detection to do its work.
--
Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

xrdbear
Like?
Re:You could try learning the basics for yourself
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, May 5, 2012

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

This results in AF detection seeing only the vertical or horizontal joints in either the LensAlign circle or the vertical or horizontal joints in window in a skyscraper.

Just one more thing Leonard. From what you are saying the design of the LensAlign product should just about guarantee that it cannot achieve AF calibration of a DSLR, its only purpose.

I do not have this product, the price alone has put me off, but it has been out for several years and judging from the number of times it has been warmly talked about in various forums you would think this 'problem' would have surfaced before. It hasn't and it seems well regarded as an accurate tool for microadjusting DSLR AF.
--
Brian

xrdbear
Like?
Re: The target is the problem!!!
In reply to Derouyag, May 5, 2012

Derouyag wrote:
This picture here proves it... look close...

It says LensAlign MkII... obviously created for focus issues with the Canon 5D MkII

These two images prove the problem explicitly. Canon can shove it.

Well, there you are then, even Leonard failed to spot that one
--
Brian

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,720
Like?
My D800 denies all autofocus problems too (nt)
In reply to Bruce Bracken, May 5, 2012
-- hide signature --

Un saludo.

Stepanfo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063
Like?
Read my post
In reply to Bruce Bracken, May 5, 2012

Anyone wanting to post something about autofocus problems PLEASE read my post.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=41425663

All these threads containing no usefull information age getting really annoying.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads