Few E-M5 shots from 5-3 (4 pics)

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
BungHole
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?
Few E-M5 shots from 5-3 (4 pics)
May 4, 2012

Just for fun from today. Its a pleasure to have a camera I carry with me again.

-- hide signature --

I need TP for my BungHole

BungHole's gear list:BungHole's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
drummerman
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
Re: Few E-M5 shots from 5-3 (4 pics)
In reply to BungHole, May 4, 2012

No offense whatsoever to you but someone with a cheap compact could do these ... better? Dis-regarding DOF.

regards

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BungHole
Like?
In reply to drummerman, May 4, 2012

Yeah, just like your comment could have been made by any dumbass....
--

drummerman
Like?

BungHole wrote:

Yeah, just like your comment could have been made by any dumbass....
--

Indeed kind sir. So why do you think your pictures are 'post worthy'?

Surely you could do better if you wait a day or two for a good photo opportunity with a camera like that ...

No?

regards

JohnBGood
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?

I really like the second one, with the tower, all lines converge to the base of the tower, the clouds, the trees, the tower itself draws the eye to it's base... nice movement in that composition!

-- hide signature --

A mind is like a parachute, it works better when open.

JohnBGood's gear list:JohnBGood's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
BungHole
Like?

Now everyone will know uou dissapprove, put you on ignorelist. Poka
--

drummerman
Like?

BungHole wrote:

Now everyone will know uou dissapprove, put you on ignorelist. Poka
--

That is a dead blow.

For what it is worth, I am looking forward to more pictures from you and hope they will show what both the camera and probably you can do.

regards

texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?

IMO, all of these look a tad underexposed. I'm still working out getting the correct exposure on my E-M5, so I feel your pain there.

I also see a lot of digital artifacts around details (tree branches, thin lines, high contrast edges).

Except for #3, the composition doesn't do much for me. You're shooting very wide - not a problem, in general, but I think these photos would have benefited from tighter zoom or else cropping - lots of 'empty' headroom. I get the feeling you're trying to fit everything into the viewfinder - this takes the attention away from the details - it makes me ask what the important part in each photo was (clouds, building, tower, tree)? Sometimes less is better - there are visually interesting subjects in each of your photos, but, for me, they get lost.

I get the feeling the clouds were important to you. I have a rough time with storm clouds, so I can't offer any real advice there, but I don't think you hit the magical spot with these - the clouds came out a bit flat for my taste - I guess you'd probably agree that the clouds in the photos don't do justice to what you saw with your naked eye. Again, clouds are tough for me, too, so I feel your pain.

Lastly, I like #3, but it looks a bit soft and underexposed. I've been playing around with macro and close-up shots with my E-M5 the past few days. Getting sharp focus at that distance takes some practice (and multiple shots of the same subject can help out a lot - one of them will probably end up sharply focused). You should also probably stop down a bit here for a slightly deeper DOF - shallow DOF often looks really nice, but it makes it very challenging to get sharp focus on the 'right' areas. I've also noticed that my macro shots tend to come out underexposed - you may want to keep that in mind.

I suggest that you play around with exposure compensation - take a few shots of the same subject at different levels - you're more likely to get one that does justice to the colors you saw with your naked eye.

Pay more attention to composition - think about how the points, lines and edges fit into the viewfinder. Don't think you have to get the whole scene into your photo - tightening down often helps you to emphasize the parts that are visually interesting. Showing everything tends to turn the picture into a "what's this a picture of?" game for viewers.

And lastly, watch out with the focus and DOF. Poor focus can ruin an otherwise good photo, so don't be afraid to drop things a few stops to make sure your subject's sharp.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
In reply to BungHole, May 5, 2012

No images displayed now

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads