Larry from Austin

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
Russ Houston
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,370Gear list
Like?
Larry from Austin
May 4, 2012

Larry was residing around the corner of Congress and 6th Street in Austin when I met him the other night. Nice conversation, and he was kind enough to play a song for me. Taken with the E-P1 and an old Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Xenar 50mm f/2.8 lens.

Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Olympus PEN E-P1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: Larry from Austin
In reply to Russ Houston, May 4, 2012

I like the subject and composition, but the shot looks overly soft to me - it almost reminds me of a still capture from a 70's era tv program.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,106Gear list
Like?
In reply to texinwien, May 4, 2012

texinwien wrote:

I like the subject and composition, but the shot looks overly soft to me - it almost reminds me of a still capture from a 70's era tv program.

A closer look would tell you where the point of focus was set (at one position along the strings they are sharp). Unless this was intentional, it illustrates the difficulty of focusing manual lenses in unfavourable light conditions.

texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
In reply to tt321, May 4, 2012

tt321 wrote:

A closer look would tell you where the point of focus was set (at one position along the strings they are sharp). Unless this was intentional, it illustrates the difficulty of focusing manual lenses in unfavourable light conditions.

Yes, I did notice that - the focal plane seems to be located somewhere along the frets, very close to the top of the guitar's body. I figured it was a DOF issue with, perhaps, a dose of high ISO noise.

Stopping down and making sure Larry's left eye was in focus would have helped sharpen things up, assuming the photographer wanted a sharper image. I like the shot, I'd just prefer to see Larry's face in focus.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Russ Houston
Like?
In reply to texinwien, May 4, 2012

ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/13s with a 60 year old (at least) lens. Not a lot of lattitude.

Thanks for the comments!
--
Russ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rfortson/
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/russfortson
Even bad photography can be fun

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Russ Houston
Like?

Russ Houston wrote:

ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/13s with a 60 year old (at least) lens. Not a lot of lattitude.

Oh, and Larry was rocking out! Not a static subject. I was lucky to get him at all. Here's what the original shot looked like before processing:

kgwhite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,526Gear list
Like?

Great shot, it make me smile. You sure know how to find a target rich environment. This is a great way to make full use of a small camera and good legacy lens. I need to get up to Austin more often.

I spend a lot of time at small Hill Country venues shooting with my Pen cameras. Everyone see the person with the big black camera but hardly anyone pays attention to small cameras.

dingenus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698
Like?

Nice shot, but I would have desaturated the blue channel a bit (and set blackpoint a little higher) to mute the blue noise clouds.

liza wallis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,006
Like?
Black and White

I agree wtih a previous poster who commentedt that it has an old 70s feel. Like an old photo that has had some color shifting. Yes the photo has some flaws but I like it. Digital cameras seems to have created a sense that all photos need to be technically perfect and to my mind that technical perfection chases all the charm out of photography. I want to see character in my images, not on point perfection.

I would love to see what this photo would look like with the contrast boosted significantly and then converted to a black and white. There might not be enough dynamic range to pull it off, but then again, there might be just enough.

• liza

-- hide signature --
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
In reply to Russ Houston, May 5, 2012

Really nice portrait, well done

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
Re: Black and White
In reply to liza wallis, May 5, 2012

I agree, this one should look great in black and white

liza wallis wrote:

I agree wtih a previous poster who commentedt that it has an old 70s feel. Like an old photo that has had some color shifting. Yes the photo has some flaws but I like it. Digital cameras seems to have created a sense that all photos need to be technically perfect and to my mind that technical perfection chases all the charm out of photography. I want to see character in my images, not on point perfection.

I would love to see what this photo would look like with the contrast boosted significantly and then converted to a black and white. There might not be enough dynamic range to pull it off, but then again, there might be just enough.

• liza

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads