Anyone check out the Pentax K01 samples?

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
Robertj_298
Contributing MemberPosts: 951
Like?
Anyone check out the Pentax K01 samples?
May 4, 2012

I don't believe the K01 looks to be as versatile as the M-5 but the image quality looks to be better to me .. especially high iso

Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
400trix
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone check out the Pentax K01 samples?
In reply to Robertj_298, May 4, 2012

I'm sure that it produces excellent images. I'm also equally sure that it combines the disadvantages of a reflex mirror with the disadvantages of an EVF.

-- hide signature --

God loves the noise just as much as the signal.

400trix's gear list:400trix's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,561Gear list
Like?

What is saw is, even with a larger sensor than m43 is not even close to either the EM-5 or G3. Besides, the body design is all goofy.

Robertj_298 wrote:

I don't believe the K01 looks to be as versatile as the M-5 but the image quality looks to be better to me .. especially high iso

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
Robertj_298
Like?
In reply to 400trix, May 4, 2012

How could it have those disadvantages when it it neither a mirror or EVF?

Robertj_298
Like?
In reply to Martin Ocando, May 4, 2012

You must not have looked at the image comparisons then especially raw high iso

ljmac
Senior MemberPosts: 2,915
Like?
Good Sensor, Bad Optics

Compare the feathers on the E-M5 to the Pentax - the latter looks much softer, almost blurry. The Pentax does look a little cleaner, but noise isn't everything (and it may be using RAW NR to get it - apparently the K5 does). Personally, I'd much prefer to have a sharp and detailed image across the frame (that way you can apply NR without losing too much).

ljmac
Like?

Actually, what he meant was - as I'm sure you know - it combines the disadvantages of not having and mirror or an EVF (no viewfinder at all, slower AF with non-CDAF lenses) and the disadvantages of having a mirror (it has the same mount as a DSLR, and is therefore the same size as one, apart from the prism hump). In other words, it has no advantages over a DSLR, and has all the disadvantages of mirrorless as well. Plus it looks butt ugly as well, and has terrible ergonomics - a complete design and usability disaster. The IQ is almost irrelevant when a camera design is this bad.

Robertj_298
Like?
In reply to ljmac, May 4, 2012

I take it then that you would rather have a well designed camera that doesn't have very good image quality?

zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,243
Like?
In reply to Martin Ocando, May 4, 2012

Martin Ocando wrote:

What is saw is, even with a larger sensor than m43 is not even close to either the EM-5 or G3. Besides, the body design is all goofy.

The goofy part is that OMD is cheating on ISO. So the comparison you saw was not the real comparison.

Robertj_298 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

ljmac
Like?

I would rather have a camera that's well designed and has good image quality - if one or the other is bad, I'm going to choose another camera, given that there's plenty out there that have both.

ljmac
Like?
In reply to zxaar, May 4, 2012

I see you keep posting this message everywhere, but all the manufacturers except Panasonic "cheat" on the ISO (in DxO terms) - Oly was actually one of the last to do it.

It does seem that the E-M5 underexposes by a third of a stop, but if you boost the exposure compensation to compensate, the S/N ratio will actually improve. So if anything, Oly is putting themselves at a disadvantage.

Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,202Gear list
Like?
In reply to ljmac, May 4, 2012

If you increase EV comp, then the shutter speed gets slower. To be fair then, you'd have to lower the ISO settings on the other cameras so they'd have the same shutter speed and the SNR gap would widen even further. DPR explicitly stated that the EM5 is unfairly flattered in those tests.

Even with the unfair comparison, it looks to me like the K-01 has a 1 stop advantage. I'd still choose the EM5 over it though for the faster operation and smaller size.

Bart
--
http://bhimages.zenfolio.com

Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,844Gear list
Like?

Robertj_298 wrote:

I take it then that you would rather have a well designed camera that doesn't have very good image quality?

personally I prefer cameras to look like cameras and not tape measures

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,074Gear list
Like?
Less noise and less detail

Robertj_298 wrote:

The images do look cleaner, but everything looks blurrier too... My be it's just a stronger AA filter, but I don't think I prefer Pentax look.

In terms of detail/noise ratio I think Panasonic G3 and GH2 and E-M5 offer a more satisfying compromise than K01.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Robertj_298
Like?
In reply to Rriley, May 4, 2012

Rriley wrote:

Robertj_298 wrote:

personally I prefer cameras to look like cameras and not tape measures

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Some people like a modern looking camera, some people like a camera thats made to look like its 60 years old.

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,380Gear list
Like?

Thats what happens when you use a macro lens to test and fake your ISO.

Robertj_298 wrote:

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,461Gear list
Like?
Re: About what I'd expect

No surprises here. We have two sensors that get the best from their respective pixel sizes and the bigger sensor wins!

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
CollinFX45
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, May 4, 2012

I looked at it (and considered it), but ultimately stayed with m4/3. I do applaud Pentax for keeping the K-mount lens compatibility; they instantly allowed people who wanted a smaller DSLR and a Pentax lens collection to have a nice option. Problem for me was the lens prices lately and the lack of smaller lenses. Photos make it look fairly small in comparison but when you compare it to something like a GF3 (my favorite portable camera), it's rather chunky. We're talking full-size SLR lenses rather than the fun, tiny primes we are seeing from Oly and Panasonic. Nothing against the image quality in the K01 (same sensor as the acclaimed K5, right?), but overall I think it's too close in size to a DSLR. Just my opinion, anyway.

The yellow one does match one of my favorite Polo shirts, though!

-Collin-

CollinFX45's gear list:CollinFX45's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Robertj_298
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, May 4, 2012

Like I said probably not as versatile but I think it would make a great camera especially with focus peaking to use all the old pentax lenses. This is what DXO said about the sensor

The comparison is available here: K-01 vs GX1 vs PEN EP3.
Overall score:

The K-01 is way ahead of both the Panasonic GX1 and the Olympus PEN EP3 - 24 points ahead of the former and 28 points ahead of the latter. - Little wonder, given that the K-01 has a much bigger sensor - a distinct advantage for Pentax over its 4/3 rival-wannabes.

The K-01 is clearly in a different category. It will be interesting to see how the Olympus OM-D E-M5’s 16Mpix sensor behaves: will it close the gap?

By putting a Sony APS-C sensor into the K-01, Pentax has at last produced a worthy competitor for its Sony NEX rivals. Likewise, the K-01’s large sensor puts it head and shoulders above the Panasonic and Olympus hybrids. For more information, see Pentax announces its first hybrid APS-C camera: the Pentax K-01. By the way, DxOMark measurements for Pentax lenses, notably the Pentax smc DA 40mm f2.8 XS, will be available on our website very soon.

While the DxOMark results lead us to conclude that the Pentax K01 is far better armed to compete than the Pentax Q, by contrast, we wonder if the K01 really meets all reasonable expectations in the hybrid category, given that its APS-C sensor and K mount results in a much larger and heavier body than the Olympus and Panasonic models.

JohnBGood
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?

Design is a pretty subjective thing, visually AND ergonomically too.

Personally, I would not be able to shoot pictures freely with a camera that does not appeal to me designwise. And the Pentax, while it is a VERY bold design statement, will polarize (pun intended) the opinions.

To me it looks to much utilitarian and Volvo(esque) to appeal to my personal taste.

More power to those who likes it, as far as image quality is concerned several of my friends owns Pentax cameras and are doing great pictures, it all boils down to individual preferences.

Would love to see more K-01 pics to compare quality with the OM-D

-- hide signature --

A mind is like a parachute, it works better when open.

JohnBGood's gear list:JohnBGood's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads