Would you buy the D800 Again?

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions
mbecke
Regular MemberPosts: 372
Like?
Would you buy the D800 Again?
May 4, 2012

For those of you that own and have used the D800, would you buy this camera again given the choice (based on price/performance)? Thank you.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
D800
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Re: Would you buy the D800 Again?
In reply to mbecke, May 4, 2012

mbecke wrote:

For those of you that own and have used the D800, would you buy this camera again given the choice (based on price/performance)? Thank you.

Not until Nikon fixes the left AF issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759Gear list
Like?

I have very little experience with it since I literally got hours ago, but for my needs I think it is God's gift to photographers.

I guess that equates to a YES for your question.

My needs are something that will yield the performance of the D700 (or better) and be able to print A2 or perhaps larger. The D800 meets or exceeds those requirements for me.

Your needs may differ.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M8
mgblack74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,607Gear list
Like?

Yes. Its worth the hype. I was one of those who thought more pixels kills high ISO, but this camera has smashed a few preconceptions. It's making me a more disciplined shooter too.
--
"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +7 more
nikoj
Contributing MemberPosts: 783Gear list
Like?
In reply to mgblack74, May 4, 2012

yes I would, but the E version for round 2, but hopefully with well calibrated af sensor

nikoj's gear list:nikoj's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Oscarroos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,914Gear list
Like?
In reply to nikoj, May 4, 2012

Yes I would. I've not used it much other than doing some testing and casual photos but camera is really very good. Yes in a heart beat.

Reality is those waiting have a long wait with the worldwide demand because it is a very good camera especially for the price.
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22388579@N08/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67660656@N03/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67660656@N03/sets/72157627576100801/

Oscarroos's gear list:Oscarroos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more
NRG
NRG
Regular MemberPosts: 305Gear list
Like?
In a heart beat!

Have played with the D800 for about a week now, I can honestly say that this thing is an animal-and-a-half! The resolution is stunning, and it handles noise amazingly well!

Hell, I'm considering getting a D800E as a main and or backup camera. Nikon seriously knocked the ball out of the park with this one!

Cheers
--
f/8 and be there!

NRG's gear list:NRG's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,283Gear list
Like?
In reply to nikoj, May 4, 2012

Yes. Absolutely, best camera - and easiest to use that I have ever owned.

It might be true that a camera can't make you a better photographer, but it can certainly make your pictures look a lot better!

It has exceeded my expectations by a wide margin in every aspect except supply and availability of accessories.

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oscarroos, May 4, 2012

I've been using the D800 for 2 days, about 300 images, with various lenses, and I can say without a doubt, YES! I have zero AF issues, as someone mentioned about, no quirks, it's seems lighter than my 5D Mk II was, and IQ absolutely destroys the 5D Mk II. You can shoot comfortably at super high ISO, with little penalty, and images at low ISO as incredibly detailed, with beautiful colors.

This camera is an absolute home run. It is everything they say it is and more.

I just got done uploaded a few night time, test run images I made with my new D800 to my DPR gallery. It's wonderful working with them in LR as D800 files are super malleable.

Cheers, Markus Arike

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
Event_shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005
Like?
In reply to marike6, May 4, 2012

NO, but I would buy the 800E every day and twice on Sunday

gonzalu
Forum ProPosts: 10,373Gear list
Like?
I'd pay $4000 for it!
 gonzalu's gear list:gonzalu's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
ocean7
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
I did.

I did buy it again, but the 2nd copy had the same left AF issue, so I had to return that one as well.

William Faulkner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,607
Like?
Is this a trick question? Heck Yeah!

mbecke wrote:

The D800 IMHO is a camera ahead of it's time. Rather, it's a camera that some of the world needs to catch up to.

I have clients who are amazed by the file size and are thankful for the freedom it gives them to crop and compose.

Going to be another month or so before I see anything in print but my guess is that the images are going to look outstanding in ink.

Bill F

Michael Harvey
Contributing MemberPosts: 539Gear list
Like?
Without hesitation!
In reply to William Faulkner, May 4, 2012

I thought I could never love a camera as much as my D700...boy was I wrong!
I've owned just about every Nikon SLR going back to the original 'F".
This is the best!

Yes, I would have made a few changes in menu design and function buttons but, as far as actual imaging...there's nothing else like it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Harvey

Michael Harvey's gear list:Michael Harvey's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM
Jeff Morris
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,285Gear list
Like?
Unfortunatly Yes,

I am in Phoenix on a two week vacation visiting family. Went to Sedona Arizona and other spots in the area, just beautiful.

I no longer enjoy schlepping my gear around. brought:

D800/MB/D12
12-24
24-70
70-180
70-300 vr
300 f4
50 f1.8g
85 f1.8g

Wife brought her V1 with lens kit.

I hate hauling gear, brought a lot so I had whatever I needed.

Well the D800 is spectacular, period. The files are to die for. With good hand held techniques you can get great results!

I found my 14-24 does not focus well in low light. (Typical for UWA's) Also found the left focus points do not work on the 24-70 and 14-24. I will address this with my dealer when I get home.

That said, for important photos, I have no choice but to shoot with my D800. It is a must for landscape, I am blown away. So, I will just learn to use the kit as is. When I want to travel lite, I will strip off the grip and carry the 50/85 and get the 28 f1.8g when available.

I was always a little uncomfortable with 10 and 12 MP with landscape shots, but for the first time I am not concerned. This is as close to shooting with my old TLR's and Mamiya RB-67 as possible. (Without using big digital backs I can not afford.)

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Jeff Morris / Homecinemaman

Adams, Gutmann, Steichen, Snoopy, Stigletz, Weston. they lead by example.

I hunt, I peck, I squint, all on a MacBook Pro 13" laptop. So don't laugh, I'm happy there aren't more typo's! (Love the screen and touch pad, hate the keyboard.)

Jeff Morris's gear list:Jeff Morris's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?
Right away

Best DSLR camera I have ever used (and I have had a few the passed 10 years).

D.

-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D800, EOS 450D IR modded, EOS 60Da on order (if ever Canon wants to deliver)
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
ukat123
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
Re: Right away
In reply to Dominique Dierick, May 4, 2012

Great camera. great AF accuracy, but I think I would buy the E version instead to get the ultimate detail, which was the reason why I bought the D800 in the first place.

Alxy
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
In reply to marike6, May 4, 2012

No, I didn't get any improvement over Canon.

marike6 wrote:

and IQ absolutely destroys the 5D Mk II
Cheers, Markus Arike

could you tell for which situations and with which lenses (which are comparable)?

Alxy's gear list:Alxy's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800E
Tom FX
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
You bet ya!

(nt)

holgerlinke
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Definite Yes

Actually I think that Nikon shot themselves into the foot with the D800... it's very likely more of a camera than I'll ever need. Unless my skills improve considerably or I lose the camera, this was the last DSLR I've purchased in this life.

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V3 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads