OM-D and audio... Oh my.

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions
stproducer
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
OM-D and audio... Oh my.
May 3, 2012

Having run smack into the OM-D IBIS does not work with 'non native' lens when shooting video issue, I am now struggling to find a workable audio solution.

Step one of course is to buy and attach the EMA-1 hotshoe adapter, because of course the OM-D lacks an audio input.

I'm excited now because I can try out my Rode hotshoe mic... except... oh... the hotshoe is taken.

Option 1:

Stick a small mic in the hole in the adapter... but it's so small.

Option 2:

Plug the Rode mic in! now i'm dangling.

Option 3:

Get an old strip of aluminum, drill it out, and mount the mic on the side.

OK that works... but why oh why, Olympus, couldn't you have either put an audio socket in the camera, or a hotshoe mount on top of the adapter.

The OM-D is an odd duck alright, but I'm starting to like it.

texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,529Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D and audio... Oh my.
In reply to stproducer, May 3, 2012

stproducer wrote:

The OM-D is an odd duck alright, but I'm starting to like it.

I like your glass half full approach. I'm going to keep an eye on your posts - you seem to be the type who'll find a solution, whether by hook or by crook.

Hope you're enjoying your odd duck. Looking forward to more solutions threads!

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,789Gear list
Like?

+1

A video plus would have been good. I guess this will come with the E-MP (pro). My guess it will be announced at Photokina. About the same time period as the E-P1 and E-P2.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +24 more
Andy Hastings
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?

I brought this same issue up a week or so ago minus your nice photos and actual hands-on solutions. I don't have the camera yet but I anticipated the external mic problem you have.

Just one thing to add to your options (and I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on it as this was suggested both others on the forum)...connecting the EMA-1 adaptor and plugging the external mic like you do with your Rode mic. The twist is that it was suggested that I epoxy a hotshoe bracket on top of the EMA-1 adaptor giving an external mic something to latch on to. What do you think of that option?

-- hide signature --

-Andy Hastings

Andy Hastings's gear list:Andy Hastings's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
BungHole
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?

Do you have level adjustments with the rode mic, I never bought an external mic before, I had level adjustments on the cameras I have had before. But with the OMD it uses auto gain or something on board which I don't like, can that be bypassed witht the rode mic or does it still affect the audio?
--

I need TP for my BungHole

BungHole's gear list:BungHole's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
siminona
Senior MemberPosts: 1,221
Like?
In reply to BungHole, May 4, 2012

I'm not sure, but according to the DPR's E-M5 review under the video section: "There is also control over the sound recording volume, with three selectable volume levels. There's also a wind-cut function (three levels and off)."

BungHole wrote:

Do you have level adjustments with the rode mic, I never bought an external mic before, I had level adjustments on the cameras I have had before. But with the OMD it uses auto gain or something on board which I don't like, can that be bypassed witht the rode mic or does it still affect the audio?
--

I need TP for my BungHole

stproducer
Like?
In reply to Andy Hastings, May 4, 2012

I had thought of that- and am about to do it- because honestly having the mike off to the side is kids of pointless...

stproducer
Like?
In reply to BungHole, May 4, 2012

three levels- -10, 0 and +20.

I generally use -10 because it can over modulate wickedly otherwise.

andarioa
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
I share your pain, OP
In reply to stproducer, May 4, 2012

Even if I just haven´t purchased the camera, yet...

But I agree with someone above me that the epoxy+hotshoe bracket seems like a very doable solution with those flat surfaces on top of the Oly adapter. With even some potential to look even pretty, if you really push me.

If I were you, I´d be trying it ASAP. If only the no IBIS with manual lenses for video could be fixed with a bit of epoxy...

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?
for video, GH2 still wins hands down

Thats a lot of trouble to use an external mic; the GH2 seems like a more sensible solution. Not to mention far better video quality, esp. with the hack.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
rubydoomsday
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?

Because video is not it's primary purpose? It's secondary? At best?

And, re: hotshoe - because real pro productions would have a boom mic/boom swinger?

If you want to take a lot of amateur video, buy a handicam.

thearne3
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Re: I share your pain, OP
In reply to andarioa, May 4, 2012

Why not take a flash stand ($.99) on eBay, cut it down and epoxy to the top of the Ema-1?

stimmer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,137
Like?
Re: for video, GH2 still wins hands down
In reply to Jogger, May 4, 2012

It's not that much better for video. I've seen enough side by side where it's really hard to tell that much difference.

Throw in the ibis and great colors and it's just fine.

stimmer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,137
Like?

Where did you get that little mic? I love it.

Andy Hastings
Like?

Well you certainly have the hands on skills, I'll look up your posts so see how you...would love some photos and details you might think useful.

I don't usually modify my electronics with self-made attachments, so that's a new area for me (or will be). I wonder if the EMA-1 is even flat on top....or some additional step besides epoxy is necessary to create a flat spot for the flash shoe...

-- hide signature --

-Andy Hastings

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
stproducer
Like?
In reply to stimmer, May 4, 2012

microphone madness... very cheap but surprisingly good stuff.

stproducer
Like?
In reply to rubydoomsday, May 4, 2012

that's just silly. properly used the OM-D is far better than a handicam.

a boom mic and a sound tech is a great idea however- at about $800 a day. any thoughts on where i'd mount them?

Andy Hastings
Like?
what about this mic? (also monitoring)

In my microphone threat from a week or so ago, it was recommended that I use a

Sennheiser MKE 400 Shotgun Microphone ($199 at Amazon). As far as I can tell from reviews and such it appears to be a quality mic, although maybe pricey.

Honestly I am probably not going to be buying multiple mics and trying them out, I'll buy one and never know if another would have been better. Do you have any thoughts on the Sennheiser mic versus the Rode you've mounted?

Also - side topic but related - having some level control in the OMD EM-5 is nice...but I am correct that we are given no way to monitor the audio, right? I just want make sure I am not missing something....like there is some way to plug head phones into the HDMI port or something crazy like that. Seems that we have to guess at levels and stick with them throughout the video capture.

-- hide signature --

-Andy Hastings

Marc
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?
Option 4

Hot shoe mounted external recorder with built in mics.

Marc's gear list:Marc's gear list
Canon PowerShot S30 Canon EOS D30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 28-105mm f/4.0-5.6 USM +10 more
Andy Hastings
Like?
External Audio Recorders were also recommended to me...
In reply to Marc, May 4, 2012

Doesn't it strike everyone as odd that folks that care about the quality of their audio have to do things like this? I mean can you think of another high-tech area where there is so much do-it-yourself cobbled solutions? I've seen internet articles on how to build a little background sound proof box around a voice recording mic...I guess maybe I'm the weird one, but it just FEELS like the human race would have non-do-it-yourself solutions for these issues by now that can be incorporated directly into products which we could buy and work reliably.

My earlier thread also had these hand-held type recorders recommended, though I didn't see anyone with a hotshoe mounted one....!

-- hide signature --

-Andy Hastings

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads