Is losing memory cards after a wedding shoot the worst thing that can happen?

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions
thermal1
Contributing MemberPosts: 765
Like?
Is losing memory cards after a wedding shoot the worst thing that can happen?
May 3, 2012

I was visiting a photography enthusiast in hospital, and shared a story about a wedding photographer who lost his memory cards after a major shoot. The photographer was obviously very distraught, as were the newlyweds.

We talked for an hour and I argued that losing all your files after a Major shoot is arguably the worst thing that can happen. He disagreed.

So I come to you fine people for a resolution: Would you say that losing all your files from a major professional shoot is the pinacle of misfortune?

Yes or no?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thermal/

VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
Re: Is losing memory cards after a wedding shoot the worst thing that can happen?
In reply to thermal1, May 3, 2012

It’s a huge black mark on your reputation as a “Professional” to loose anywhere from 250 Raw’s to thousands of pictures. If I were the photographer I’d offered to refund the entire event (and have when I had a Nikon fail mid shoot and my back up camera was at another shoot).

I suppose it’s not the worst that could happen. I mean it would be worse if a professional photographer got wasted at an event like this and was a total nuisance and then lost her/his card. Not only would the newlyweds not useable shots but they would have had an out of control idiot on their hands….. So no it could be worse.
--

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mr Michael
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: Is losing memory cards after a wedding shoot the worst thing that can happen?
In reply to VisualNectarPhotography, May 3, 2012

VisualNectarPhotography wrote:

I suppose it’s not the worst that could happen. I mean it would be worse if a professional photographer got wasted at an event like this and was a total nuisance and then lost her/his card. Not only would the newlyweds not useable shots but they would have had an out of control idiot on their hands….. So no it could be worse.

Believe...it could ALWAYS be worse.

theatrus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,335Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mr Michael, May 3, 2012

There are much worse outcomes - its possible to end up in a car/plane/train/boat wreck before the shoot, missing the shoot and sustaining serious injuries (or worse).

Its risky to be alive.
--
Warning: The internet is filled with one sided views. Stay objective.

theatrus's gear list:theatrus's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Oly Canikon
Contributing MemberPosts: 978
Like?
In reply to theatrus, May 3, 2012

Maybe having one of your batteries short out and set fire to the venue might be worse. But any way that you lose all of the pictures is a close second.

MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,265Gear list
Like?
In reply to thermal1, May 4, 2012

Yes

Pocket rocket

iPad EyeFi

2nd shooter

Three cameras - shoot long and short all day long

And now dual slots

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,694
Like?

Last weekend, there was a tragedy where a woman doing her first gliding trip, as a passenger, fell 300 meters (around 375 yards) from the glider and died. The flight was behind recorded by a small video camera attached to the wing of the hang glider.

The tragedy is becoming a soap opera:

The pilot swallowed the video camera memory card (hopefully, it's a compact flash). He is in custody until the memory card passes through! The police can see the memory card with XRays.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120502/bc_x_ray_memory_card_glider_120502/20120502?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,232Gear list
Like?

OK, I just paid you lots of money for a once in a lifetime event. Very unprofessional,

So is the camera lost too? Were they making clicking sounds the whole time? So yeah not good, look to legal action against the photographer your paid for a reason, its a business and you have nothing to show. Hopefully there is a contract.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 887Gear list
Like?
Much Worse

Umm...you could be photographing a wedding in oh, say, Argentina perhaps...and get murdered because you refused to give up your gear to a group of armed robbers.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/92213/french-photographer-stabbed-to-death-in-retiro-neighbourhood

Yeh, it could be much worse...

thermal1 wrote:

I was visiting a photography enthusiast in hospital, and shared a story about a wedding photographer who lost his memory cards after a major shoot. The photographer was obviously very distraught, as were the newlyweds.

We talked for an hour and I argued that losing all your files after a Major shoot is arguably the worst thing that can happen. He disagreed.

So I come to you fine people for a resolution: Would you say that losing all your files from a major professional shoot is the pinacle of misfortune?

Yes or no?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thermal/

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,330
Like?

1st wife, 2nd, or 3rd. It really does depend...

scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,092
Like?

thermal1 wrote:

Ever watched Kill Bill?

Now there was no pro photographer there, but if there were, losing cards would be the least of his worries. Talk about major shoots...

tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,128
Like?
No, it's not the end of the world
In reply to thermal1, May 5, 2012

The photographer can offer a re-shoot at his expense otherwise a refund is in order.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads