Sony please let us tether the A77

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions
walkerwg
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Sony please let us tether the A77
May 3, 2012

Dear Sony Listner (or any other Sony Alpha Division Exec):

The A77 is turning out to be nearly a perfect portraiture camera. Great low ISO performance, face detection, great AF, Live View, etc. When coupled with good constant LED lighting, the set up is awesome.

All that is needed for functional perfection is tethering. It can't be that hard. There is one company, DNA Software (www.dslrsoftware.com), that has cracked the code for the A900, 850 and 700. If at all possible, please add that capability, or a way to add that capability, to any additional firmware upgrades.

Many of your customers will love you for it. And you may indeed garner many more.

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,294
Like?
Re: Sony please let us tether the A77
In reply to walkerwg, May 3, 2012

walkerwg wrote:

It can't be that hard. There is one company, DNA Software (www.dslrsoftware.com), that has cracked the code for the A900, 850 and 700.

Those cameras support tethering via Sony Remote Control software, no "cracking" required.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
walkerwg
Like?
In reply to Archer66, May 3, 2012

Archer66 wrote:

walkerwg wrote:

It can't be that hard. There is one company, DNA Software (www.dslrsoftware.com), that has cracked the code for the A900, 850 and 700.

Those cameras support tethering via Sony Remote Control software, no "cracking" required.

So, then the Sony Remote Control software should be made available for the A77...

fjbyrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,201
Like?
+1. SLT would be perfect for tethering IMO. nt
Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,134Gear list
Like?

Should probably harass Sony about it, rather than a forum that's turned rampant with Canikon Trolls.

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +6 more
DPierce
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?
Konica/Minolta A2 Digicam...
In reply to Stflbn, May 3, 2012

Has great tethering with focus and triggering controlled via mouse clicks on a live view window on the PC. Spent hours and hours doing product shots with it hooked to my laptop and found it very convenient.

It required only a USB connection and I can see no reason that the A77 shouldn't be able to be tethered in a similar manner.

Maybe in firmware v2.0?
--
Dave Pierce

http://www.pptphoto.com
http://www.pbase.com/pierce324

The early bird may get the worm...
but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Olles
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?
+1 Big Time!

I use my A850 für Portrait sessions where the model can imediately see the image and react to it - its perfect to controll image parameters as well - perfect tool!

For me this is a deal breaker - combined with A77s capabilities, it would be a perfect Studio camera!

Werner

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,925Gear list
Like?

We've been asking Sony for that feature for months in this forum. You must be new.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
walkerwg
Like?
In reply to tbcass, May 3, 2012

No, just becoming more convinced of the 77's utility for portraiture and have just begun to focus on the tethering issue. Yes, I searched the database and know there were some discussions about it. In the meantime, some "person" named "Sony Listener" showed up on one of the discussion threads and claimed to be able to take things back to management. Hence this post....

acdtech
Regular MemberPosts: 453Gear list
Like?

With the A77 being used more and more and accepted as a professional camera maybe Sony will start listening.

acdtech's gear list:acdtech's gear list
Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD
Ralf B
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,139Gear list
Like?
Sony let us tether the A77.. and the a99! (NT)
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
kg56
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Sony let us tether the A77
In reply to Ralf B, May 3, 2012

Yes agreed this would be a great feature and it should reasonably easy to include given it has been done before.

Gionni Dorelli
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?
I would had even bought a couple of bodies

If the a77 camera could be tethered.
That was a big let down. The a700 could be tethered.

steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,747
Like?
Re: I would had even bought a couple of bodies
In reply to Gionni Dorelli, May 4, 2012

the 700,850, and 900 are considered upper level cameras, sony obviously doesn't consider the 77 as such. Just look on the back and push the ? button.

chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068Gear list
Like?
That doesn't change anything
In reply to steelhead3, May 4, 2012

Regardless of how Sony considers the camera, it should still include tethering - it's an essential feature at pretty much all levels. Look at Canon, for example. Even their cheapest 1000D has a remarkably sophisticated tethering implementation. Unless Sony considers the a77 equivalent to a $99 point and shoot, they really should put tethering back in. (And arguably, even $99 point and shoots should offer tethering support.)

I don't think any extra hardware is needed for tethering (USB port is already there), and Sony clearly knows how to implement tethering - they've done it before on the a700/850/900. Even if they can't figure out how to get a live view stream to the computer, basic tethering is better than nothing at all.

And the suggested solution of using an EyeFi card to transfer images remotely, a HDMI cable to see the live view feed on a bigger screen, and a corded remote to release the shutter IMO is nowhere as good as a proper tethering solution. Wireless connections can be unreliable and can't reach the speed of a USB connection. Furthermore, there is still no way to adjust camera settings from a computer, and using all those extra devices would be quite clunky.

the 700,850, and 900 are considered upper level cameras, sony obviously doesn't consider the 77 as such. Just look on the back and push the ? button.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, May 4, 2012

My 10+ year old Cannon powershot S400 supports tethering.

It seems kinda silly that my brand new A77 doesn't. "?" button or not.

Of course, if they really wanted to sell these things to professionals they probably would have included wireless tethering....

OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
In reply to cplunk, May 4, 2012

It is obvious that some here should leave Sony over this.

I am also sure all the pros have dropped Sony over this.

Please post the gear here so we get a crack at some lenses.

Sounds like the next Blues hit...Sony tether my 77!

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
goetz48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,607Gear list
Like?
That's whi I still like my oldie
In reply to DPierce, May 4, 2012

[n/t]

goetz48's gear list:goetz48's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,925Gear list
Like?
In reply to walkerwg, May 5, 2012

walkerwg wrote:

No, just becoming more convinced of the 77's utility for portraiture and have just begun to focus on the tethering issue. Yes, I searched the database and know there were some discussions about it. In the meantime, some "person" named "Sony Listener" showed up on one of the discussion threads and claimed to be able to take things back to management. Hence this post....

Good! Maybe there will be action. How can I contact this person. I would like to point out a few other improvements that could be easily implemented on an A65-77 firmware upgrade that have been discussed here. It's funny because at IR a guy made the comment that Sony has brilliant engineers designing their cameras but lack input from photographers.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
fjbyrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,201
Like?
No, it is a quite legitimate request
In reply to OntarioJohn, May 5, 2012

OntarioJohn wrote:

It is obvious that some here should leave Sony over this.

I'm sure some have left Sony over this and I am sure some didn't buy an A77 because it didn't have tethering.

I am also sure all the pros have dropped Sony over this.

Surely not all and probably not most but I will bet some consider it a "must have". Canon and Nikon wouldn't provide these capabilities if they weren't in demand. It would be a great feature for studio shooting IMO.

Please post the gear here so we get a crack at some lenses.

So anyone that doesn't think Sony's cameras are perfect should just sell them off and move to Canon/Nikon? Like it or not nobody makes a perfect camera. People are well within their rights to point out what they want in a camera especially if they want to stay with a system.

Sounds like the next Blues hit...Sony tether my 77!

Is the A77 perfect? Does it have all the features everyone wants?

People have every right to say what they think is missing from a camera. If people think tethering is important they should say so here and anywhere else Sony reps may see it. You are quite within your rights to chime in and say you don't think tethering is important. But just because someone posts something they think is missing doesn't make them Sony haters.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads