Zeiss 24mm really worth it?

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions
Hans von der Crone
Senior MemberPosts: 1,999Gear list
Like?
Zeiss 24mm really worth it?
May 3, 2012

I know, it's a great lens with amazing picture quality but damn it's expensive. I currently have a 50mm/1.8 and the kitlens. I love the 50mm but it's not exactly wide enough as a walk-around lens. The kitlens is kinda ok, but doesn't exactly do the amazing sensor justice.

So I'm thinking about the Zeiss (and finding a way to survive the numerous kill-attemps by my wife when she founds out I spent that much money), but wonder if it's really worth that much money. Especially compared to the Sigma for example.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,895Gear list
Like?
Re: Zeiss 24mm really worth it?
In reply to Hans von der Crone, May 3, 2012

It's a different focal length than the Sigma. Apparently, 24mm is a difficult focal length to make.

I faced a similar dilemma and even sent the Zeiss back after buying it the first time. I was so impressed with the images that I regretted sending it back and then I had to wait nearly a month for it to come back in stock so I could buy it again. I really like it and it doesn't leave my camera very often. I've grown particularly fond of the short minimum focusing distance. I didn't realize I would get into semi macro photography until I tried it.

I suppose if I had bought the Sigma 30 then I'd be very happy with it as well. I might buy it anyway at some point. It's a terrific lens. I wish it was a little faster, but it's very sharp. Sharpness is just one of 15 or 20 ways a lens gets evaluated (e.g., minimun focusing distance, speed, build, focus speed, character, etc.), but sharpness is certainly one of the key requirements that is considered when buying a lens.

The Zeiss is worth the money if you have the money to spend. If it wasn't worth the money then it would be sitting on shelves and not selling. Instead, it's selling out pretty quickly. But my guess is that people who buy the Sigma 19 and 30 for $400 total are not feeling very jealous of the Zeiss 24 owners. Just my guess. And, if I am any indication, the Zeiss 24 owners are feeling very good about our lens as well.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kristoffel
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, May 3, 2012

The zeiss is most likely a great lens, BUT it's (almost) more then the price of a fuji X100 ...
I know what i'd choose for the money

For the moment I got the sigma 30mm, which i still have to test on the streets

cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095
Like?

If you want a wide-angle, get the 19 or 30 sigma IF you have enough light.
If you have not enough light and portrait is enough, use the SEL50.

If you want a group shot in low light, then apparently the 24/1.8 is the only choice.

RustyKnee
Regular MemberPosts: 462
Like?
In reply to kristoffel, May 3, 2012

Spooky, I just asked that in an old thread I found searching. I am considering to get the 24mm, but then realised the X100 is cheaper and very nice too.

kristoffel wrote:

The zeiss is most likely a great lens, BUT it's (almost) more then the price of a fuji X100 ...

kristoffel
Like?
In reply to RustyKnee, May 3, 2012

hehe, i swear i didn't read your mind

seriously, again, the zeiss is probably a superb lens but it's even better to have a nex with hmmm let's say the 50mm lens attached and the fuji x100 next too it in your bag instead of a nex with 50mm + zeiss 24mm (not to talk about not having to change lenses if you have two cameras)

comparison
amazon uk has the x100 for 679 pound
the zeiss is 850 pound (and delivery 1-2 months)

i'd need a VERY good reason to get the zeiss over the X100 for nearly 200 pounds extra...

sean lancaster
Like?

kristoffel wrote:

seriously, again, the zeiss is probably a superb lens but it's even better to have a nex with hmmm let's say the 50mm lens attached and the fuji x100 next too it in your bag instead of a nex with 50mm + zeiss 24mm (not to talk about not having to change lenses if you have two cameras)

comparison

i'd need a VERY good reason to get the zeiss over the X100 for nearly 200 pounds extra...

I suspect this isn't such a bad idea. The big downside I can see is that the camera will continue to decrease in value and the since I bought the Zeiss 24 it has increased in value. Glass tends to hold value much better than camera equipment. But I do like the idea of having quick access to an effective 35mm shot by carrying an x100 and the firmware update for the x100 has helped it's used value, too. But that can't last . . . won't be long before technology passes the x100 by with 16 megapixels and then 24, etc. (and other upgrades).

tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,910Gear list
Like?
X100 vs Zeiss 24

Depends on your type of photography. A NEX-7 with the Zeiss focuses very fast, and it focuses very close. It is a little more trouble to focus close with the X100.

Even so I might still prefer an X100 to cover that focal length if the camera had a tiltable LCD, and I didn't have to worry the aperture blades might start sticking on me. But then, I'd also have to mentally switch between handling two very different cameras.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
RustyKnee
Regular MemberPosts: 462
Like?

kristoffel wrote:

comparison

lol, indeed! both probably lighter than my D700 too.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rabbitstu77/
http://500px.com/RabbitStu

headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,179
Like?

I'm getting ready to sell my Zeiss 24. I prefer the size and slightly longer focal length of the Sigma, and I don't really need the speed of the Zeiss very often, so I'm sticking with the cheapie. The Sigma 19, 30 and Sony 50 give me a pretty versatile setup, and I use the Sigma 30 most of the time.

Braedel
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?

Is the Zeiss 24 worth the money? IMHO yes. If you have the NEX-7 it's the only native e mount lens to date that will do the sensor proper justice.

I own both the Sigma 30 2.8 and CZ 24 1.8 and the 24 is now my NEX-7 go to lens 98% of the time. The Sigma 30 is an excellent lens and is a tremendous value but it will likely live on my N5 for as long as keep it as a backup to my NEX-7.

Another strong point about CZ lenses are that they retain their value longer and will likely have very high resale value down the road if you take good care of them.

Cheers!

Mike

Braedel's gear list:Braedel's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A99 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +3 more
kristoffel
Like?
In reply to Braedel, May 3, 2012

if i had a nex 7 with zeiss 24mm it wouldn't leave the nex much either
as you say, it's the only lens that can do the 24mp sensor justice

but that combo will set you back over 2000 euro

headofdestiny
Like?

kristoffel wrote:

if i had a nex 7 with zeiss 24mm it wouldn't leave the nex much either
as you say, it's the only lens that can do the 24mp sensor justice

I'd say the Sigma 19, Sigma 30, Sony/Zeiss 24 and Sony 50 all do the sensor justice (I own them all.) If you want to pick the absolute sharpest, it's actually the Sigma 30. You're not paying for the Zeiss because it is the sharpest, but, rather because it is wider and faster than the Sigma (and has a better build.) For any daytime shooting, I prefer the Sigma 30.

Scott418
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?

If you're willing to spend the $$$, the Zeiss is absolutely worth it. I've gone a bit lens crazy in the past few months picking up the Zeiss, 50mm 1.8 E-mount, and the 30mm sigma and the Zeiss is well above the other two in both quality and rendering. Except for purple fringing at large aperatures in some situations, there's little wrong with the lens...and let's be real, the black metal body just looks awesome on a black NEX 5/7.

If you're worried about the $, the Sigma is a great lens (but noticeably slower at focusing than the Zeiss) and really compact on an NEX. For $199, it's worth having in your kit.

headofdestiny
Like?
In reply to Scott418, May 3, 2012

How is the Zeiss 24's rendering better than the Sigma 30's at f2.8 and above? The Sigma is sharper, vignettes less, and seems to have less CA. Are you just talking about more contrast?

tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,910Gear list
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, May 3, 2012

I feel like I'm going to start talking in terms of wine: "excellent bouqet, hints of tangerine, black currents and oak, with tobacco undertones".

The Sigma seems outstanding in the easily measurable department. But is it soul-less? The Zeiss has beautiful blur, and seems to have a little more character.

But maybe it really all just comes down to how much you spend on a bottle of wine, er, lens, I mean.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
sean lancaster
Like?
In reply to tesilab, May 3, 2012

Heh, I think that analogy is spot on!

cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, May 3, 2012

I read at photohead online (I think) or somewhere else that the bokeh of the SEL50 is best, the 24 is quite good and the 30 is a little nervous. Maybe that is what is meant here?

pic123
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
In reply to RustyKnee, May 3, 2012

The X100 will not have reliable focus nor focus as close even in good light.
How are you going to protect the X100 lens without an adapter hood?

I looked at the X100 just before the 24mm. One lens was sold while I was making a decision so I grabbed the next 1 (last) that was there. How many f1.8 lenses combine semi-wide with macro in one go? That lens will outlast an X100 because it can move to another body.

RustyKnee wrote:

Spooky, I just asked that in an old thread I found searching. I am considering to get the 24mm, but then realised the X100 is cheaper and very nice too.

kristoffel wrote:

mrkhong
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?

I carry both Sigma 19mm & 30mm everywhere I go. But when I have time, I'd prefer to use my CG 45mm F/2

mrkhong's gear list:mrkhong's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads