60D mode dial a little loose...any ideas, comments, or similar problems?

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions
Tracy LeBlanc
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
60D mode dial a little loose...any ideas, comments, or similar problems?
May 3, 2012

I just bought a 60D last week and it's great but I find that the mode dial is a little loose for my taste. Does anybody else have the same issue? I live in France and I have several trips and events coming up so I don't have the time to send it in for just this. Does anybody have a schematic or know how to take the dial off and/or tighten it? I've got lots of small tools and I'm not affraid to tackle this myself if I had a service manual or schematic to go by. Any help or comments will be appreciated!

Thanx!

Tracy LeBlanc's gear list:Tracy LeBlanc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
Re: 60D mode dial a little loose...any ideas, comments, or similar problems?
In reply to Tracy LeBlanc, May 3, 2012

Where did you buy it from? If its a major retailer take it back they will usually exchange it 1 for 1 within 30 days.

and how loose are we talking? 1 mm lift? 3 mm lift?
--

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tracy LeBlanc
Like?
In reply to VisualNectarPhotography, May 3, 2012

Maybe 1mm lift tops. It basically rocks back and forth a little. I'm not really used to it and I'm kinda a perfectionist, to my demise. I'm trying to just let it go and enjoy the camera but I wanted to ask you pros first.

Also, I bought it online here in France at a sizable online retailer but sending it in or to a Canon repair shop will be agrevating and take time.

Thanx!

Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
VisualNectarPhotography
Like?

I think you are ok, while I don’t have my camera on my jobsite today I know that mine wiggles a bit too. I think it has to do with the locking mechanism. Mine is a little looser than the 7D’s non locking dial. (though they can get it upgraded by canon for 100 Euros or so)

Is there a warranty on this camera (other than manufacturers)

-- hide signature --

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?
If in normal use...

...you don't notice it, it's fine. I need to physically try to move mine to notice any sort of ability to "tilt" it on its axis. So really, it's tight - as tight as my other bodies. I can't rotate it more than 1mm without depressing the button, and can't tilt it more than .25mm if that. There is a "gap" underneath about the width of a hair, which I can tilt down to flush. Do you see a larger gap? Can you lift it up higher than a hair's width?

If it's really noticeably loose when rotating you really should go through the trouble to return it. It'll drive you nuts as long as you own the camera, and even worse if it fails or comes off!

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
Tracy LeBlanc
Like?
Re: If in normal use...
In reply to victorian squid, May 3, 2012

Mine tilts more than a hair. When turning there is about 1mm of play but I expect that. But the rocking is what gets me. If nobody has a schematic or service manual then I probably will have to send it in once I get back from my trips.

Thanks...

victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?

Yes, you shouldn't have any rocking.

Definitely get it back in when you're done - I know that's one thing I HATE to do, but once it's over you'll be happy. Kind of like the dentist!

Enjoy your travels!

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
VisualNectarPhotography
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, May 3, 2012

victorian squid wrote:

...you don't notice it, it's fine. I need to physically try to move mine to notice any sort of ability to "tilt" it on its axis. So really, it's tight - as tight as my other bodies. I can't rotate it more than 1mm without depressing the button, and can't tilt it more than .25mm if that. There is a "gap" underneath about the width of a hair, which I can tilt down to flush. Do you see a larger gap? Can you lift it up higher than a hair's width?

If it's really noticeably loose when rotating you really should go through the trouble to return it. It'll drive you nuts as long as you own the camera, and even worse if it fails or comes off!

What about taking a photo of this rocking knob? maybe with your camera phone or something. I am interested to see how much it's lifting.

-- hide signature --

Tracy LeBlanc
Like?

I don't have any type of extra waranty. I'm sure I can send it back but I'm also sure they will want to send it in to be repaired. French stores are not as service oriented as the states unfortunately. So, I'm sure an exchange is out of the question.

Tracy LeBlanc
Like?

Ok. I'll try to do one better and post a video on youtube. When I get a chance to do that I'll post a link.

I'll film it in HD macro with my G12.

Thanks...

VisualNectarPhotography
Like?

Tracy LeBlanc wrote:

I don't have any type of extra waranty. I'm sure I can send it back but I'm also sure they will want to send it in to be repaired. French stores are not as service oriented as the states unfortunately. So, I'm sure an exchange is out of the question.

State your case to the store in question and really try hard to get them to help you out and udnerstand where you are coming from and why you bought the camera. I'd bet you could talk your way in to a 1 on 1 exchange.

-- hide signature --

Tracy LeBlanc
Like?

Here's the link to a video I made showing the loose mode dial. Only video in existence. In person it doesn't move so much as it looks in this close up. But it is still a little loose. Let me know if yours is like this or not.

I talked to the online retailer and they want to ship it to Canon before they exchange it. There's tons of red tape over here in France for everything. Really. Everything. So, it may be more aggrevating and stressful to send it in than to just deal with it. We'll see.

http://youtu.be/qxSGOF5GsO8

-Tracy

VisualNectarPhotography
Like?

I just looked at mine. your rotational movement is on par with mine.

However i think yours rocks a bit more than mine, I do notice about a .75mm lift on mine when I do this.

::Word of caution to others who are going to say something::

Since this is a very close perspective the movement of the fingers will magnify the movement of the dial. Only look at the dial and block out the fingers.
--

VisualNectarPhotography
Like?

I think you're fine though. It goes through its range w/o problems or wierd sounds correct? it doesnt miss any stops or not lock when its on the tilt?

Like I said mine does have some play in it, but it still feels very attached to the camera when it is wiggling.

I'd leave it, just because you are rarely going to stress the dial in such a way. (and a replacement is relatively cheap 100 euros or so)

Nice lens btw
--

Tracy LeBlanc
Like?

Good job pointing out the fingers. I was wondering what it was about the video that made it look so drastic. If you've got .75mm then I can't be very much more than that. But, just knowing your's rocks a little too makes me feel better somehow. Thanks!

I hate that I zero in on little issues like this. I guess since I paid almost 900 bucks for the body I expect it to be perfect but in reailty it's still just an enthusiast camera and for $900 I shouldn't expect xD level of quality. Besides, I'm rocking an L lens with it until Canon releases a more affordable full frame (if they do) at which point I'll sell it.

As far as the L lens...Noooo complaints at all!

But, no matter what I do, I really appreciate your help today.

Thanks again!

VisualNectarPhotography
Like?

Yup Yup Have fun on your trip!
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads