Nex5n freezes

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions
ChrisKramer1
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Nex5n freezes
May 3, 2012

Happened twice in four weeks. The first time it wouldn't wake up from sleep mode. The second time I switched it on without taking the lens cap off. The screen remained black with no display information. Then, when I took the cap off I could see the image but it was out of focus and didn't respond. Both times I had to take the battery out to get it to work.

Both times, I was using the Sigma 30mm. Lens works ok though, no chatter. I have noticed that the start up time is pretty slow using this lens. The memory card only had a few shots left. First time I had used it constantly for about an hour and a half. The second time light usage for about 40 mins.

I have read a thread with some NEX-7 users having this experience. Any thoughts on what might be causing it?

Ta

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
neonexxer
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex5n freezes
In reply to ChrisKramer1, May 3, 2012

I've had my 5N go wonky on me in similar fashion, also with a Sigma 30. But mine went nuts when I accidentally aimed it up at the sun wide open... that kinda "stunned" it. The camera was still "alive", but lens wouldnt' focus. When I power-cycled the camera, it told me I had no lens attached, or some similar error, even though the Sigma was still on it. The problem went away when I took off the Sigma and immediately re-attached it. Its been OK ever since.

This hasn't on any other AF/MF lens I've used my 5N with... just the Sigma 30, so, I'm guessing the camera/lens communication in extreme lighting situations (either super bright, or total darkness) may be buggy? The camera seems fine, but looks to me like its the lens that needs a reboot in a situation like this. All these smart lenses are chipped, so its not inconceivable that we're experiencing a lens crash? Sorry, just a couple of lightly educated guesses here... not entirely sure what the problem is.

neonexxer's gear list:neonexxer's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A37 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,608Gear list
Like?

Don't know, but I have had other glitches using other lenses. I was once doing bursts of continuous (speed, no refocus, JPEG) trying to capture BIF with a SEL55210. It froze with this semi-refreshed screen:

And no control would do anything (including the power switch). It was only after pulling the battery that the camera resetted. No pictures were lost.

I'm not too concerned as it is is an exceptionally rare occurance, and seems to be deal-able.

Edit: not that I see neonexxer's post, I do recall that I had just left the shoreline and was walking to my car when I noticed seagulls gliding overhead and was panning my camera across vertical. I don't think sun was involved in this one, but perhaps the orientation sensor gets confused?

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +14 more
ChrisKramer1
Like?
In reply to neonexxer, May 3, 2012

Thanks - my thoughts too.

kuuan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,367Gear list
Like?

my NEX5N has frozen on me a couple of times too.

3 or 4 times taking out the battery was not enough but I had to reset the camera, which I found to be a pita for I resetting the whole camera takes quite a while.

which leads me to a question: Is there any way one can save one's setting somehow to put them all back at once, after a reset?
--

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Pentax K-x, *istDs and Sony NEX5N: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,040Gear list
Like?

yip an issue between the sigma 30mm and the camera, I've had the same issue, but only with the 30mm from sigma... a comms issue or something I guess??
--
Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +3 more
flint-hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?
In reply to kuuan, May 3, 2012

It has happened to me too a few times -- takes a battery pull to get control back. It usually with the Sigma 30 on the camera.
--
NEX-5N gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/flint-hill/sets/72157628112096830/

Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,238
Like?
In reply to flint-hill, May 3, 2012

Mine has once a few months ago after taking lots of photos. I have had problems with 3 cameras over 11 years and now always travel with two cameras in case.
--
fredyr

joechan32
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fredy Ross, May 3, 2012

Camera freezing/firmware bug: don't forget guys there are computers in these cameras/lenses. Computer bugs are a way of life. How frequently have your PCs fail on you....I'll bet 100 times more frequently than you cameras have!

Sphinx_man
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?

Similar here but with the kit lens, though. NEX-5N froze and behaved very strangely on a recent trip to China. I realized that the camera went through X scanners at the airport and that might have something to do with the issue - as i used the camera right after landing in China - because after I recharged overnight in the hotel, didn't have any further issues on the trip or later....
SG

neonexxer
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sphinx_man, May 3, 2012

Hmmm... so the 5N may skip a beat every now and then. Would be good to know what triggers these seizures.

So... for a start on some kind of general profiling.... is everyone who's having these issues here on firmware 1.01? I am.

Secondly, has anyone had a similar 5N wig-out on a manual lens???

neonexxer's gear list:neonexxer's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A37 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
ddutchison
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?

Ver. 1.01 here.

Had my 5n freeze after copying images to my computer through the USB cable. FWIW, there was a manual lens mounted on it at that time.

I was careful to un-mount and then turn off the camera before disconnecting the cable. When I turned it back on I got a no-card indicator.

Turned the power off and on again, and got a black screen.
Pulling the battery and card restored it.
--
David D

kuuan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,367Gear list
Like?
In reply to neonexxer, May 4, 2012

neonexxer wrote:

Hmmm... so the 5N may skip a beat every now and then. Would be good to know what triggers these seizures.

So... for a start on some kind of general profiling.... is everyone who's having these issues here on firmware 1.01? I am.

Secondly, has anyone had a similar 5N wig-out on a manual lens???

Mine is on Ver. 1.00

Can't tell with certainty any more, but since for 95% of the time I am using manual lenses chances are that most freezes were with manual lenses too
--

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Pentax K-x, *istDs and Sony NEX5N: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
ChrisKramer1
Like?
In reply to ChrisKramer1, May 4, 2012

Thanks for the replied - seems to be a general issue. And I read that the Olympus XZ1, E-P series and the new OMD seize up too. I had a GF1 for about a year though and that was ok. My Nikon DSLR didn't freeze once in a about a year and half of heavy usage. Still, the NEX5n is only the second cycle, so maybe it's growing pains. Maybe Sony can issue some firmware (or produce a warm coat for it).

Boggy4062
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to ChrisKramer1, Jun 16, 2012

I noticed that is becoming a normal occurance. It happened to me yesterday, it happened today (3 times). I'm on 1.01 ver firmware with the kit lens, so cannot blame other parties. I hope Sony is working on it VERY hard.

cactusgeorge
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
In reply to flint-hill, Jun 17, 2012

Same here...

samson33
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to kuuan, Jun 17, 2012

kuuan wrote:

Mine is on Ver. 1.00

Can't tell with certainty any more, but since for 95% of the time I am using manual lenses chances are that most freezes were with manual lenses too
--

I'm on Ver. 1.01 using the kit 18-55 and have had the freeze problem numerous times. So it's not the firmware or manual lenses. When I've had it I've been using AF at close distances. Seems like after a number of failed focus attempts it gives up. Sometimes I can get it back by focusing at a distance, but other times I've had to pop the battery. Of course there could be more than one cause.

Here's a video that shows it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyChZp2jYNY

fip
fip
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
In reply to Boggy4062, Jun 17, 2012

Same here - but with an old Zuiko lens. Seems not only to be relateed to Sigma lenses.

I can't remember, but I probably did not turn the power switch off when changing the lenses.

Battery out and in did not always help completly, I also had to reset the camera an so I lost my settings, too.

I also hope that this can be fixed with the next firmware.

bigley Ling
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?
In reply to fip, 6 months ago

fip wrote:

Same here - but with an old Zuiko lens. Seems not only to be relateed to Sigma lenses.

I can't remember, but I probably did not turn the power switch off when changing the lenses.

Battery out and in did not always help completly, I also had to reset the camera an so I lost my settings, too.

I also hope that this can be fixed with the next firmware.

Brings up and old thread!

My Nex 5n freezes too. I mainly use legacy glass on the 5n, Not sure why it does it, but doing a full hard reset in the menus fixes the problem for now. So before doing any serious shoot, I do a hard reset in the menu, and put in all my custom setting back in, and then use the camera.

I have just updated to 1.0.2. Will see how long my 5n will last without seizing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads