Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions
cakes
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: best all rounder lens for my 60D??
In reply to ESfishdoc, May 11, 2012

Hello,
I have the 18-55 and the 50mm 1.8.

Want a new lens for travel, but looking for just a good all rounder lens so that I don't have to change lens so often.

Love the 50mm for blurry background and fantastic in low light, but don't like that it's so close up, you have to take the photo from so far away. I'd like some zoom, and wider but a lense that performs in low light is very important. I want something that's I'm going to be happy with for a long time so im prepared to spend. Thanks for your help.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cakes
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to crazybadger, May 11, 2012

Hey mike,

Thanks for your help!

Want a new lens for travel, but looking for just a good all rounder lens so that I don't have to change lens so often.

Love the 50mm for blurry background and fantastic in low light, but don't like that it's so close up, you have to take the photo from so far away.

I want a wider lens with some zoom, width prob more important than zoom. performance in low light is very important. I want something that I'm going to be happy with for a long time so im prepared to spend. Thanks for your help.
Robyn

rocky01
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
In reply to crazybadger, May 11, 2012

"It is a bit of a shame Canon didnt go whole hog when they released their 18-200 a couple of years ago and really try to produce a top notch lens."

That would be $ome hat trick.

For forseeable future the best we can hope for is lens correction prolie dev in DPP Lightroom or CS5

rocky01
Like?
In reply to rocky01, May 11, 2012

Sorry I missed the typo above before the edit button disappears; last sentence s/b:

For forseeable future the best we can hope for is lens correction PROFILE development in Canon DPP, Lightroom or Photoshop CSx

steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
Canon 28mm f/1.8 Perhaps?
In reply to cakes, May 11, 2012

If you're willing to consider a prime lens, take a look at the Canon 28mm f/1.8. It's pretty compact, light, and gives you an effective focal length of 45mm on a 1.6X crop sensor like the one in the 60D. Here are some samples:

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
In reply to cakes, May 11, 2012

cakes wrote:

Hey mike,

Thanks for your help!

Love the 50mm for blurry background and fantastic in low light, but don't like that it's so close up, you have to take the photo from so far away.

I want a wider lens with some zoom, width prob more important than zoom. performance in low light is very important. I want something that I'm going to be happy with for a long time so im prepared to spend. Thanks for your help.
Robyn

The best "all rounder" lens for the 60D is the EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM but it is not a good low light lens and that is one of your stated requirements. The BEST lens for a 60D is the Canon EF-S 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS USM and it is good for low light with a constant f/2.8 aperture. All of the reviews (with one exception) rate the 17-55 very highly. The one exception is DXO and I don't trust their lens reviews.

I use the 17-55 on my 7D and on a Rebel XSi before that. The lens has performed very well for me. Here is an example:

-- hide signature --

Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
rocky01
Like?
In reply to Y0GI, May 12, 2012

The sparkle in the eyes tells the story

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
In reply to rocky01, May 12, 2012

rocky01 wrote:

The sparkle in the eyes tells the story

Thanks for noticing that!

The baby was lit by some bright windows behind me. If you "Zoom In" on the image, you will see the outline of me and the camera in the 'twinkle' in his eye. VERY sharp lens!

-- hide signature --

Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Stakeouttoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
In reply to cakes, May 12, 2012

have the 60d with the 18-200 lens that came with it... got the 15-85 and I think it's the best all around... I keep it on the 60d most of the time...
--
Ray

my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +8 more
rocky01
Like?
In reply to Y0GI, May 12, 2012

The baby was lit by some bright windows behind me. If you "Zoom In" on the image, you will see the outline of me and the camera in the 'twinkle' in his eye. VERY sharp lens!

actually I saw silhouette without zooming

that thing is loaded

Gworld
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Stakeouttoo, May 27, 2012

I've been trying to decide between the 15-85 and 17-55 for the last week... Struggling to find photos using 15-85 for indoors / moving subjects, to see it's limits - would appreciate seeing any that people may have.

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,593
Like?
In reply to Gworld, May 27, 2012

Gworld wrote:

I've been trying to decide between the 15-85 and 17-55 for the last week... Struggling to find photos using 15-85 for indoors / moving subjects, to see it's limits - would appreciate seeing any that people may have.

You don't see them because not many 15-85 owners are proud of the images taken with said criteria (assuming without flash).

Get 17-55 if you have 60D, or 17-50 OS if you have 7D. 17-50 OS is better value but has high risk of AF problem.

As for MAC's 17-55 doesnt have "Thin DOF" comment, I think they are thin enough for portrait subject isolation.

rfdillon
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
In reply to Gworld, Jun 3, 2012

I love my 18-135 kit lens. Although I own several lenses, I find this one on the 60D more often than all others. I usually use it stopped down to~ F8, and love the zoom range that works for ~ 80 percent of my shots.

skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,541Gear list
Like?
Sigma 18-200 OS
In reply to cakes, Jun 3, 2012

I've used the Signa 18-200 OS for one-lens-travel for years, find it to be a fine lens, despite some softness on edges at some focal lengths, which are rarely a problem for me.

Any lens is a compromise based on price, weight, speed, sharpness, etc. you need to do your research and decide what is most important for your style of shooting and budget.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Jackinthebox
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
In reply to cakes, Jun 4, 2012

I have had the Canon 60D and 18-200 kit lens for over a year now and find it the lens I use the most. Very sharp from 18 to 200. Using Manual most of the time with high 1/800 to 1/2000 and iso 200 to 800. Very happy with that lens.

Stig Nygaard
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
I have both EF-S 17-55 and EF-S 15-85
In reply to cakes, Jun 4, 2012

Hi

I started with 17-55/2.8 as my all-round lens, but now have both this and the 15-85mm. They are both GREAT lenses, and I have loved both. But after getting the 15-85 I more and more rarely see myself using the 17-55mm. If I went out with the 17-55mm it was almost every time supplemented with my EF-S 10-22mm (great lens too btw:-)). But with the EF-S 15-85mm I often go with that alone. The 2mm extra wide really does a lot. Also I always felt the 17-55mm was a bit too heavy. The 15-85mm are just the perfect combi for range, weight and optical performance for me.

And if I need something faster to supplement the 15-85mm, I can take the little light and cheap EF50mm/1.8 with me too.

Stig Nygaard's gear list:Stig Nygaard's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Malcolm
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Re: I have both EF-S 17-55 and EF-S 15-85
In reply to Stig Nygaard, Jun 4, 2012

You could start off with the 15-85 and if you find you still want a wider aperature for more blurry pictures and low light you could consider a fixed focal length lens such as the sigma 30mm f1.4 which will get you closer to your subject than the 50mm you currently have.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads