I sent my Fuji back :-(

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions
Robert Holloway
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,626Gear list
Like?
I sent my Fuji back :-(
May 3, 2012

This post is part therapy, part confession and all heart.

The UPS guy came round and picked up my X Pro 1 and 35/1.4. I was really sad.

So why the return. Amazon gives you 30 days to return a camera and I had a $2300 hole in my wallet for a camera that was not perfect - for me.

I have taken shots in the last 3 weeks that I love. In many ways i love this camera. IQ is number one, AWB, high ISO, color accuracy....

But here's my problem, I have a stack of Canon glass and bodies and a 5d2 with an L prime is not a slouch.

My main reason for returning it was not chatter, AF or the fact that one of the buttons was broken - though that did not help.

The lack of real MF, the jumping between EVF and OVF, the learning urve... combined with a feeling that this is a great system at its genesis. A sensor that is beyond reproach and a form factor that is a delight. In my humble opinion, Fuji has got many things right.

Then I look at what I shoot and the brutal fact is that a DSLR works for me.

I have zero interest in Oly's and Sony's with their EVFs. I'll stay here and wait to see what Fuji do over the coming months. of course there's always a camera rumored to be coming out on 5/10

Rob

Robert Holloway's gear list:Robert Holloway's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
chopsteeks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
Re: I sent my Fuji back :-(
In reply to Robert Holloway, May 3, 2012

Share with us when you find the 'perfect camera'

You already posted once about this return, another one ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Holloway
Like?
In reply to chopsteeks, May 3, 2012

Huh? When did I post about the return?

There is no perfect camera. There is only a camera that works for you as an individual.

If you're read my post, you'd have seen that I am not criticizing the camera at all. In key areas it's simply phenomenal. My number on e feeling is.. sad.

I don't get your tone?
Rob

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Jay A
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051
Like?

I dunno...sometimes you gotta just accept the fact that you just like something and give in to it. I don't "need" an XP1, but I like it so I have one.I also have a 5D MKII, X100 and Sony NEX-7. I don't regret it at all.

jles
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?

And what happens with the camera after you returned it? Will Amazon sell it as new? People think BEFORE you buy something!

Robert Holloway
Like?
In reply to Jay A, May 3, 2012

Jay

I know that feeling.

The Fuji is a great camera as many are getting shots to die for.

But somehow, and I regret it. I lost the faith

At that point $2300 becomes a hot coal in your pocket

Rob

Jay A wrote:

I dunno...sometimes you gotta just accept the fact that you just like something and give in to it. I don't "need" an XP1, but I like it so I have one.I also have a 5D MKII, X100 and Sony NEX-7. I don't regret it at all.

Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
In reply to jles, May 3, 2012

jles wrote:

And what happens with the camera after you returned it? Will Amazon sell it as new? People think BEFORE you buy something!

Not my problem. Amazons problem.

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
itmelo
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?

Don't waste your time with chopsteeks. He just trolls this forum. I'm sorry that you didn't manage to get what you wanted and needed from the X-Pro1. Sometimes is just like that, you have to make a hard decision but one you feel is the best for you. Even if it makes you feel sad.

The bright side is that there will be other fantastic cameras coming on this year and the next, and the X-Pro1 as well as others are making it all possible. One of those cameras will be the one which will make you happy and confident about your purchase. It would have been nice that one was the X-pro1, and you gave it a fair try, but it was not meant to be. Don't feel bad, soon your sadness will fade away.

BTW, I'm a german shepherd owner (2 + 1 Malinois), all rescues. Thank you for your work with this wonderful breed.

Robert Holloway wrote:

Huh? When did I post about the return?

There is no perfect camera. There is only a camera that works for you as an individual.

If you're read my post, you'd have seen that I am not criticizing the camera at all. In key areas it's simply phenomenal. My number on e feeling is.. sad.

I don't get your tone?
Rob

itmelo's gear list:itmelo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +24 more
Usee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
In reply to Davidgilmour, May 3, 2012

Davidgilmour wrote:

jles wrote:

I remember Pink Floyd, because I still love the music they have made
and a song from their album called "Animals"...

...I think it was the song "Pigs on the wing"...
...the first lines of the two parts.

If everyone wouldn't care, what happend to us?

-

It doesn't matter what You do - it matters how You do it, to get satisfaction!

Envy is the highest form of recognition.

Stop to run, start to think.
Think twice - that doubles the fun!

Your world is as big, as Your mind.
Avoid to have only one point of view!

Uli

with lots of gear but no idea
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?

That's a terribly narrow minded attitude, I suppose you still through your toys out of your pram for some one else to pick up..

with lots of gear but no idea's gear list:with lots of gear but no idea's gear list
Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
snapper1967
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?

jles wrote:

I just bought it again from amazon to give it another go. If I really don't like it after 30 days I'll send it back. That's their policy. Why you get so bent out of shape over it. Amazon makes galizions of money! No children or animals are being harmed here.

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

jles
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
In reply to snapper1967, May 3, 2012

...maybe you brought an used one. And it does not matter ('No children or animals are being harmed here')? Children (and even animals) use their ability to think (act) in a much more wiser way!

Goob13
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?

People THINK before you post something. Amazon has a 30 day return policy. That means you can return something for up to 30 days. There is nothing wrong or immoral about buying something, being unhappy with it, and returning it.

Take it up with Amazon if you have concerns.

snapper1967
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?
In reply to Goob13, May 3, 2012

Goob13 wrote:

People THINK before you post something. Amazon has a 30 day return policy. That means you can return something for up to 30 days. There is nothing wrong or immoral about buying something, being unhappy with it, and returning it.

Take it up with Amazon if you have concerns.

It's a jealousy thing. Most of the people who complain about us sending things back live in Europe where they don't have such a policy.

I understand the bitterness being a fellow Brit now living in the USA. I have spent thousands of dollars on amazon over the past 14 years. I also sent thousands of dollars of stuff back for a refund. It's all good.

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

linusto
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

If you have a problem with Amazon's return policy, take it up with them. Or just don't buy from Amazon. This 'holier than thou' attitude is unbelievable. Robert didn't do anything wrong here. Tried the camera, it wasn't for him, he returned it according to their policy, fair and square.

Davidgilmour wrote:

jles wrote:

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,397Gear list
Like?

jles wrote:

Amazon don't sell returns as new product. Where do you think all the used X-Pro 1s come from? They are returns.

In fact, you can go straight to here to see for yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=1267877011

(Where's the "shakes-head" icon?)

-- hide signature --

Cheers

Trevor G

Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

gava
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032
Like?
Returns policy

An interesting moral question...

On the one hand: Amazon have a liberal returns policy, Robert has done nothing against the letter of their agreement, and is therefore fully entitled to do what he has done.

However, it is also clear that he is crossing the line of what many people would regard as "fair use" of that policy. To buy something, try it for a month, then return it just because it's not EXACTLY what you want strikes many as taking advantage.

Certainly if too many people did what Robert has just done Amazon would have to change the policy, and all would suffer from the withdrawal of the option. As long as not too many people do it however, it makes overall sense for Amazon to continue with the policy. Sure they will lose money on people like Robert, but overall sales are boosted.

It comes down to whether you have a problem with "working" the system or, less charitably, being a "free rider".

It is somewhat short-sighted though to encourage other people to "work" the system too, because if a sufficient number of people push the boundaries then Amazon will be forced to change the policy. It is more sensible to work the system and keep quiet about it.

Also of course Amazon now own these forums, so some may regard his behaviour as ungracious towards our hosts.

-- hide signature --
LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,641Gear list
Like?
Re: Returns policy
In reply to gava, May 3, 2012

I always buy from stores with easy return policy - because sometimes you really don't know if you getting what you thought you would, the PR always put up all the fancy things about their products but it is seldom 100% that.

I also often buy reconditioned products and have no problem with that, saves me money and they are as good as new. Because the markup on reconditioned products is much lower than new one, the manufacturer makes nearly the same money even if the reconditioned is sold cheaper, it is still often sold at or above the price for dealers.

Yesterday I just bought dyson dc32, reconditioned for half the price of a new one. Looked like 100% brand new, just was in a brown box, saved me $300 right there.

I would not hesitate to buy reconditioned xpro1 or x100, you even have assurance it was actually fully tested again by professionals. Reconditioned is different than used or open box.

And it is not "working the system". It is a mutual agreement between the seller and buyer. I give my money to them and they give me an item (that they didn't make) with a service, one of it is the ability to return the item. They charge mark-up on the item and that is the cost of this service. If there is no service attached for the markup, (like in some countries) then there is no reason for the middle man, we should all be buying directly from manufacturer at less money.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
dzeanah
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
Re: Returns policy

Well, Amazon will disable accounts of those who they feel abuse the policy. It's certainly not unlimited.
--
Derek

Jeff Seltzer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,689
Like?
Return Policy: Totally Fine

You all are out of your minds! Amazon.com is consistently rated as the top online retailer in the U.S. (for example, most recently by Consumer Reports). They have a market cap of over $100B and their stock is near a 52-week high. Their return policy is part of their business model, and it works. I have purchased many high-end electronics from them (kept most, returned some), plus, I regularly purchase books, household items, dog food, coffee, just about anything and everything all with the security that I can return if I don't like it. So, point #1: their return policy is part of the reason they are so successful.

Now, for your ignorant people who are saying this is some kind of "moral" or "ethical" issue - get your facts straight! Amazon.com does not sell anything as "NEW" that is in fact "USED." What will they do with the OP's camera? Either they will return to Fuji (many big retailers have such agreements), or they will sell via the Amazon Warehousedeals website in which they will clearly list the item as "Used" and someone will get a great deal. They will NEVER sell an item that the returner says is not 100% working, and they do inspect items. FYI, other major camera retailers also have liberal return policies (e.g., Adorama - that's why I also buy from them). So, point #2: the camera will NOT be sold as New (and, my guess is that Amazon will make even more profit on the camera from selling it 2x).

What the OP did is totally fine with Amazon, and should be totally fine with everyone here. If Amazon's return policy didn't make sense for Amazon, they wouldn't have it. The OP is not "abusing it" he's simply following the policy. Anyone that has a problem with this is just silly. It's like having a problem with a restaurant that features an "all you can eat" salad bar or something.

From what I understand, other countries don't have such liberal return policies and retailers in such countries have brainwashed consumers into thinking returning an item is some kind of "moral" or "ethical" issue. Geeez. I feel sorry for these consumers.

gava wrote:

An interesting moral question...

On the one hand: Amazon have a liberal returns policy, Robert has done nothing against the letter of their agreement, and is therefore fully entitled to do what he has done.

However, it is also clear that he is crossing the line of what many people would regard as "fair use" of that policy. To buy something, try it for a month, then return it just because it's not EXACTLY what you want strikes many as taking advantage.

Certainly if too many people did what Robert has just done Amazon would have to change the policy, and all would suffer from the withdrawal of the option. As long as not too many people do it however, it makes overall sense for Amazon to continue with the policy. Sure they will lose money on people like Robert, but overall sales are boosted.

It comes down to whether you have a problem with "working" the system or, less charitably, being a "free rider".

It is somewhat short-sighted though to encourage other people to "work" the system too, because if a sufficient number of people push the boundaries then Amazon will be forced to change the policy. It is more sensible to work the system and keep quiet about it.

Also of course Amazon now own these forums, so some may regard his behaviour as ungracious towards our hosts.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads