http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxk01/6

-- hide signature --

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,864
Like?
Re: The new KING of high ISO is here.
In reply to fisherman_lol, May 3, 2012

This is very good news indeed!

That means that Pentax will likely wring-out better noise performance with the upcoming K-5 replacement.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fisherman_lol
Contributing MemberPosts: 841Gear list
Like?
In reply to JohnBee, May 3, 2012

johnbee wrote:

This is very good news indeed!

That means that Pentax will likely wring-out better noise performance with the upcoming K-5 replacement.

Just imagine. It is very exciting.
--

sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,137Gear list
Like?

Impressive! Maybe just the result of the newer sensor, but it looks to me like they also might have tweaked the high-ISO raw NR algorithms as compared to the K-5. Still, it's a good job, whatever they've done.
--
Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
Mark Ransom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870
Like?

Wow! The comparison at ISO 12800 for RAW are very enlightening. It even kills the K-5! Even at ISO 6400, the K-01 is the only one to show the texture in the coin background.

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?
It's RAW NR

fisherman_lol wrote:

Check it out. Just wow.

Nothing special -- just RAW NR

If K01 RAWs were so much better than everyone else, why the jpegs look worse than 5N at ISO 6400?

MaxIso
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?
In reply to sfa1966, May 3, 2012

lol yea man, ive been posting on the other k-01 threads too. its absolutely amazing. it is literally holding even with the FF models. i know a lot of people will dog on it bc it has no viewfinder but that doesnt change its IQ with high iso.

and the point about future pentax models is what i was thinking too. the k5 replacement is likely to change everything judging by this. now i have to decide if im going to get the k-01 or wait for who knows how long for the nex k5...

now i wonder if there will b a boat load of people selling there canikon junk when the next pentx is out lol. somebody tell me im not crazy, this is arguably the top 3 FF bodies out today, D800,5DIII, and D4 next to the k-01 and the pentax looks even with the D4. am i crazy?? http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocompare.asp#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=false&headerTitle=Studio%20scene&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=pentax_k01&masterSample=imgp1387.acr&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=pentax_k01&slot0Sample=imgp1387.acr&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=nikon_d4&slot1Sample=dsc_4701.acr&slot2Camera=nikon_d800&slot2Sample=dsc_0261.acr&slot3Camera=canon_eos5dmkiii&slot3Sample=5d3_5221.acr&x=0.12413802972907545&y=1.4237607040139193&extraCameraCount=0

MaxIso
Like?
In reply to MaxIso, May 3, 2012

lol oh no, ET2 must have felt threatened, he came over from the sony threads to attack the k-01. to answer your question sir, pentax isnt wasting time perfecting its jpeg code, that is why the 5n is better. if u want to cling to an inferior mode of photography have at it, most serious photographers will laugh at u.

like i sad the other day, thats like comparing xbox to playstation graphics on a 480p tv, theres no point. the k-01 just took the crown for iso performance and is towering over %90 of FF at that. sony doesnt even have a FF lol (in production of course), i see why people r so upset. sell your sony gear, buy some pentax glass, then pretend u were agreeing with me and these guys the whole time ok?

ET2
ET2
Like?

MaxIso wrote:

lol oh no, ET2 must have felt threatened, he came over from the sony threads to attack the k-01. to answer your question sir, pentax isnt wasting time perfecting its jpeg code, that is why the 5n is better. if u want to cling to an inferior mode of photography have at it, most serious photographers will laugh at u.

It's not about "inferior" vs "superior"

One camera is applying noise reduction. The other is not. Obviously the camera that is applying noise reduction would have less noise.

Isn't that simple?

See dxomark note on Pentax cameras

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/DxOMark-review-for-Pentax-cameras

In the case of K01 (and K-5), the RAW NR starts at ISO 3200

If you look at dxomark, they clearly label everything at ISO 3200 and up as "smoothed"

Her is dxomark graph again:

Note the text at the bottom: it says: "smoothed"

MaxIso
Like?
In reply to ET2, May 3, 2012

lol who cares. what do u think sony does in jpegs? its all about coding. if its so advantageous to add NR then why doesnt sony do it to raws? even with NR the k-01 and k5 best sony raw comparisons in sharpness, imagine if they had no NR...it would make sony pictures look like a rainy window. (exaggeration of course)

im actually teasing sony bc u seem to get so defensive, remember i have an a33 lol. but im not partial as ive said before, i call it like it is and sony is seriously lacking. pentax is definitely the new king of high iso and i cant wait to see what they drop on us next.

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 24,859
Like?

I love it. ET2 is foaming at the mouth again. What a maroon.

Have fun you all.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

FarHagh
Regular MemberPosts: 451
Like?

Like many other times, it seems cleaner output at cost of some details (a little more NR applied at high ISO). Pentax may have thought K-01 users have a little bit different taste vs K-5 owners, I guess.

-+-+-+-
Farhad

ET2
ET2
Like?

MaxIso wrote:

lol who cares. what do u think sony does in jpegs? its all about coding. if its so advantageous to add NR then why doesnt sony do it to raws?

Why would it be advantage to do noise reduction in camera? The computer software (with quad core computer and gigabytes of ram and infinite time) can do better job with noise reduction than the tiny chip in the camera.

My simple question is not yet answered: If K01 RAW files were really that much better than 5N, are you telling me that Pentax is so incompetent that despite staring with 1 stop better RAW, they end up with worse jpegs?

Second questoin: If K01 RAWs were better than K-5, why the difference is only at ISO 3200 and up? Why not before that?

The answer: That's because the RAW NR (which in K01 case is stronger than K-5) starts at ISO 3200, as you can see here:

FarHagh
Regular MemberPosts: 451
Like?
Re: It's RAW NR

ET2 wrote:

Nothing special -- just RAW NR

You are right; just RAW NR but versus K-5, not 5N.

If K01 RAWs were so much better than everyone else, why the jpegs look worse than 5N at ISO 6400?

Nothing special -- just JPG engine!

May be because Sony targets jpg shooters more. Everybody is free to go with whichever they like better.

-+-+-+-
Farhad

Mark Ransom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870
Like?

ET2 wrote:

are you telling me that Pentax is so incompetent that despite staring with 1 stop better RAW, they end up with worse jpegs?

It's quite possible. RAW conversion is not a slam dunk, there's a lot of ways to do the conversion and all of them rely on heavy math plus a lot of finesse. Same with NR techniques. To call it incompetence is a bit harsh.

To me the proof is in the RAW files converted by Adobe, because that's an apples-to-apples comparison. The K-01 is the clear winner there.

sir_bazz
sir_bazz MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,034Gear list
Like?

ET2 wrote:

One camera is applying noise reduction. The other is not. Obviously the camera that is applying noise reduction would have less noise.

Isn't that simple?

Sure but even at ISO1600, (where DxO shows no sign of NR on the Pentax), it still looks better than everything else in the shadows.

-- hide signature --

Zooms? pfffft!

sir_bazz's gear list:sir_bazz's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +2 more
sir_bazz
sir_bazz MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,034Gear list
Like?
In reply to FarHagh, May 3, 2012

FarHagh wrote:

Like many other times, it seems cleaner output at cost of some details (a little more NR applied at high ISO). Pentax may have thought K-01 users have a little bit different taste vs K-5 owners, I guess.

To be honest I see very little difference in the level of detail. High ISO color on the other hand....
--
Zooms? pfffft!

sir_bazz's gear list:sir_bazz's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +2 more
MaxIso
Like?
In reply to sir_bazz, May 3, 2012

sir_bazz wrote:

FarHagh wrote:

To be honest I see very little difference in the level of detail. High ISO color on the other hand....
--
Zooms? pfffft!

yep i saw the color drop a bit more as well, but its still not "bad", just not to par with high end. but tbh, most refuse to shoot at 12800 iso and if they do arent expecting perfect color. ill take the sharper image and less chroma noise anyday at the cost of some saturation.

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,473Gear list
Like?

fisherman_lol wrote:

Check it out. Just wow.

-- hide signature --

Yep DPreview have accidentally left chroma noise reduction on in ACR for these k01 RAW samples.

As expected the k01 is fractionally behind the k5 the difference easily accounted by 12bit RAW Vs 14bit.

Now take this simple fact and apply that knowledge whilst reading the fairy tales written by our favourite Sony shill

A little knowledge is dangerous thing in the hands of the obsessed.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
SRT201
Senior MemberPosts: 1,918
Like?
RAW color noise is certainly improved.

As always I ignore the JPEG results, but the RAW results were rather interesting. It looks substantially better in terms of color noise IMO compared against those three.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads