In reply to eenymac, May 3, 2012

I think K-5 pics look better though at 6400
equally amazed at the difference (OT remark ofcourse) between
Canon 5D MkII and Mk III
1D MkIII and Mk IV

-- hide signature --

The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
limits.

• Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MaxIso
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?
Re: Pentax K-01 studio samples posted
In reply to janneman02, May 3, 2012

ok so its 10:30 seattle time, whats up with these fixed samples for it? just looked at the tool and nothing looks different. seems they would just need to take the origonal raws and reconvert them? unless they discarded the raws and have to go back to studio lol. com dp lets have em, i wanna see what pentax im going to buy !!

Stephenhampshire
Contributing MemberPosts: 833Gear list
Like?
Re: Mr. sensitive much.
In reply to TrojMacReady, May 3, 2012

Unfortunately your post wasn't terribly clear as you didn't put in any text but you are absolutely right and I hope DPR are suitably mortified; they have really put the cat amongst the pigeons with their schoolboy error.

-- hide signature --

Everything changes

Stephenhampshire's gear list:Stephenhampshire's gear list
Samsung TL350 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +13 more
MaxIso
Like?
Re: Mr. sensitive much.
In reply to Stephenhampshire, May 3, 2012

do not fear , the new correct samples are up now and i can say that while not by as large of a margin the k-01 still leads. k5 is still a beast but the k-01 is much finer grain with less luminance noise. check it out here

rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,226Gear list
Like?
In reply to ET2, May 3, 2012

ET2 wrote:

MonkRX wrote:

Thanks for the studio samples. At a glance, it looks like the K-01's RAW samples are about 1 1/2 stops better than the K-5. Pentax could use a bit of an overhaul in their JPEG processing, though.

Once again, it's not "better" RAWs than K-5. It's simply more noise reduction than K-5, as noted by dxomark

And so what ? Isn't that the end result that counts ? Other vendors apply selective focusing enhancement, CA removal and distortion correction in camera so everything look good on the tests, and that's OK. Pentax comes up with a better RAW raw data rendering engine for the K-01 and that is not OK ? Common.. why is it so hard for you to accept that the K-01 has pretty darn good IQ ?

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
rusticus
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?
Re: Comparison to Nikon D800...
In reply to MaxIso, May 3, 2012

I Agree!!!

rusticus's gear list:rusticus's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01
GordonBGood
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,257
Like?
Re: Pentax K-01 noise reduction accusation - a red herring
In reply to Robgo2, May 3, 2012

Robgo2 wrote:

GordonBGood wrote:

JNR wrote:

I shoot RAW with the zero noise reduction setting. It isn't clear that DXO tests anything other than standard settings, which is unfortunate. I do not see detail smearing at the zero noise reduction setting.

For all Pentax DSLR's up to current models, the camera Noise Reduction (NR) settings don't apply to the raw data (other than the Dark Frame Substraction - DFS - done by the long exposure so-called Noise Reduction); thus, it doesn't matter what camera settings DxOMark used to test the camera, the results would be the same and this compulsory NR would still be applied.

You are correct that the compulsory raw NR as used by Pentax for ISO sensitivities of ISO 3200 and higher is not very strong and one doesn't lose very much in resolution more than that already lost due to demosiacing and other processing such that one barely notices it visually, but there is perhaps a 20% loss (more-or-less depending as compared to what is lost by the demosiacing used in raw conversion).

It is pretty clear - literally - that noise reduction up to 6400 on the K-01 is minor at most, and not field relevant. On a good monitor you will see that in these DP studio shots.

The compulsory raw NR used at all ISO's of 3200 and above is the same, so if you don't find it objectionable at ISO 6400 then there is nothing to complain about for higher ISO values other than that the camera noise levels increase, of course.

Gordon, it seems to me that Pentax's on-chip NR is very effective at removing mainly chroma noise, while retaining detail. I don't know that it could be done as well in PP with NR software. Is my observation correct?

Rob, from the samples it seems that with the K-01 Pentax may have changed the algorithm used for this compulsory NR so that it is more effective at removing chroma noise as compared to luminance noise, with the side effect that it has a slightly higher smoothing effect for luminance noise as well. As to this type of NR, since it is applied at the raw non-demosiaced photosite level, it likely doesn't cause as much side effects as most post processing NR solutions which are applied after demosiacing, although there would still be the same blurring and loss of resolution effect if it were too strong; fortunately, Pentax seems to have chosen an almost optimum strength of this compulsory NR if any NR needed to be applied at all.

EDIT_ADD: Note that images processed from raw using one's own raw conversion application won't be subject to DPR's error in posting JPEG's processed with a post processing chroma NR setting turned on, and thus one should get the same results pre or post correction by DPR for such raw conversions.

Regards, GordonBGood

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,320Gear list
Like?
Re: Read what Dpreview said about that...
In reply to TrojMacReady, May 3, 2012

TrojMacReady wrote:

miles green wrote:

Wow!
There is NO chroma noise on the black Bailey's bottle!!!!
Or the threads in the box!

And compared to the D4, this is what i see:

The D4 has less luminance noise, and the pics are more contrasty and saturated, but when it comes the chroma noise, the K01 seems to beat even the D4!!!!!!!!

Things are looking good for the years to come!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=41407104

Ah, that explains it! Thanks for pointing this out!
The good news is that my eyes weren't tricking me!

But who's being accused of trolling?!?!?

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
fisherman_lol
Contributing MemberPosts: 841Gear list
Like?
Re: Read what Dpreview said about that...
In reply to MaxIso, May 4, 2012

MaxIso wrote:

so now that everything has leveled out, its still important to get some sense of ratings. here are 2 camers, well over $2k for FF in D700 and 5DII, and i threw in the A77 for laughts. compare to the new king of iso, what do u think? http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocompare.asp#baseDir=%

LOL. That's why this $750 camera is the new king.
--

timo
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,298
Like?
In reply to mervis50, May 4, 2012

mervis50 wrote:

My point was glasses & EVFs don't mix, at least for myself. With the K-01, I keep my glasses on at all times. You seem to have interpreted exactly the opposite. I should have been more clear, I guess.
--
My K-01 Contact Sheet: http://k-01vancouver.tumblr.com/
My K-01 Diary: http://kayohonediary.tumblr.com/
K-7 Images from Mexico, Guatemala & Belize: http://mesoamerica.tumblr.com/

Cheers from Vancouver, Canada

No I understood you correctly. I just drew precisely the opposite conclusion from my/our situation. I just don't fancy keeping my close-up glasses on all the time (so as to be able to see the lcd) - that way I will not see the 20-ton truck heading straight for me, or the landscape I am supposed to be photographing.
--
tim
http://www.pbase.com/timotheus

MaxIso
Like?
In reply to timo, May 4, 2012

timo wrote:

No I understood you correctly. I just drew precisely the opposite conclusion from my/our situation. I just don't fancy keeping my close-up glasses on all the time (so as to be able to see the lcd) - that way I will not see the 20-ton truck heading straight for me, or the landscape I am supposed to be photographing.
--
tim
http://www.pbase.com/timotheus

if u are standing in the road when u take pics u have bigger problems than your glasses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads