Broken USB port on 5DII, options for organized transfers using CF reader?

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions
gglad
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Broken USB port on 5DII, options for organized transfers using CF reader?
May 3, 2012

The USB port on my 5DII was damaged when the cord was yanked (tripped over!) while plugged into the body. So now I'm stuck having to use a CF reader to transfer images.

I found the EOS Utility doesn't seem to recognize just a CF card plugged into a reader. I then found ZoomBrowser EX will find/transfer images via the CF reader, but it just dumps them all at the root level of the Pictures folder. I looked for a preference to change this behavior but couldn't find one.

I want a behavior similar to 'transfer un-transferred images' I used to use with EOS Utility where new images were aromatically transfered and sorted into dated folders within the Pictures folder on the hard drive (PC).

Any ideas?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
trueserve
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
Re: Broken USB port on 5DII, options for organized transfers using CF reader?
In reply to gglad, May 3, 2012

What the hell? People actually use the USB ports on their cameras for general purpose photo transfer?

Weird world I live in.

Just copy the images like you would any other mass storage device to where you want them. I'm not sure what the problem is.

trueserve's gear list:trueserve's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot A720 IS Minolta DiMAGE F100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Canon PowerShot SX230 HS +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
djmorgan
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
In reply to trueserve, May 3, 2012

The problem is! if you want to shoot tethered you can't! so forget studio work or product shooting go and get yourself a P&S like trueserve has

That's the weird world we live in....

trueserve wrote:

What the hell? People actually use the USB ports on their cameras for general purpose photo transfer?

Weird world I live in.

Just copy the images like you would any other mass storage device to where you want them. I'm not sure what the problem is.

djmorgan's gear list:djmorgan's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
djmorgan
Like?

The only way to use EOS Utility with a card reader is by using the Monitor Folder facility, this way it will monitor your card reader and transfer photo's in the same manner if you connected via USB, which despite some people saying here is the best way to manage your photos with DPP.

You need to be aware that EOS Utility will delete the photos off the card once transfered.

David

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Ershotz -
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?

Send it to canon and they will fix it cheap Then it will be fixed!

gglad wrote:

The USB port on my 5DII was damaged when the cord was yanked (tripped over!) while plugged into the body. So now I'm stuck having to use a CF reader to transfer images.

I found the EOS Utility doesn't seem to recognize just a CF card plugged into a reader. I then found ZoomBrowser EX will find/transfer images via the CF reader, but it just dumps them all at the root level of the Pictures folder. I looked for a preference to change this behavior but couldn't find one.

I want a behavior similar to 'transfer un-transferred images' I used to use with EOS Utility where new images were aromatically transfered and sorted into dated folders within the Pictures folder on the hard drive (PC).

Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

ershotz

Ershotz -'s gear list:Ershotz -'s gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
trueserve
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
In reply to djmorgan, May 3, 2012

He mentioned photo transfer, not shooting tethered.

I mentioned general purpose photo transfer, not shooting tethered.

I think it's a photo forum disease for poeple to argue over this crap.

djmorgan wrote:

The problem is! if you want to shoot tethered you can't! so forget studio work or product shooting go and get yourself a P&S like trueserve has

That's the weird world we live in....

trueserve wrote:

Weird world I live in.

trueserve's gear list:trueserve's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot A720 IS Minolta DiMAGE F100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Canon PowerShot SX230 HS +15 more
Henrik Herranen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652Gear list
Like?

trueserve wrote:

What else then? Are you saying that you actually remove your CF card with its brittle, multi-pin connector each time you want to transfer some images?

Weird world I live in.

What's the weirdness? The people who lose images are very often of the "I use eight 4 GB cards to minimize my risks" type. They don't realize that every CF card insertion carries both a mechanical and electrical risk to both camera and card. And when they eventually get a failure, they don't say: "Hey, using many cards was perhaps not such a good idea", but instead they say: "Ha, I knew it! From now on I'll use thirty-two 1 GB cards!"

Why would you do that? That's asking for trouble and card breakage.
Weird world we live in.

Kind regards,

• Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Shamus1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,581Gear list
Like?
A couple suggestions...

My first suggestions is two-fold.... send it to Canon and get it fixed....and never use the USB port for routine file transfer unless you are tethering. The repeated connection and reconnection will eventually cause you to have to get it fixed again...plus the wear and tear of having to have the camera powered on during the transfer. I use many cards for an event. Only had one card failure on a new card and fortunately was shooting a 1DmkIII dual card body.

I use a Lexar USB 3.0 reader for CF UDMA & SDHC cards. While I use Lightroom 4, other programs I have that will also work very well are ACDSee Pro 5 (great for many admin tasks with photos, including burning CD/DVD's, directory syncing, cover sheets, ICC profile switching, size change) and Faststone Viewer (www.faststone.org) which is FREE for home use, reasonable for Pro use (both have editors also).

Both lets you select/create the directory/sub-directory you want to transfer to. Faststone and ACDSee Pro will read Canon RAW files (Faststone will read 5DMkIII, currently ACDSee not yet but I suspect soon).

Shamus1's gear list:Shamus1's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
gglad
Like?

trueserve wrote:

The problem is I may transfer images once every two months, and when I do I'll have 20-30 different date stamps among all the images- so now I have to manually figure out all of the discreet dates, make the appropriate 20xx_xx_xx folders on the PC and copy/move the images accordingly. That was all done automatically by the EOS Utility, and the ZoomBrowser app, when the transfer was done via USB directly from camera.

gglad
Like?
Re: A couple suggestions...
In reply to Shamus1, May 3, 2012

Great tips- thanks! I will look into Faststone first..

djmorgan
Like?

trueserve wrote:

I think it's a photo forum disease for poeple to argue over this crap.

The only Forum disease here is those PEOPLE that don't offer help in their post and of course can't spell

David

Shamus1
Like?
Re: A couple suggestions...

You can even set Faststone up to re-size, add watermarks & borders. You can create custom graphical masks in Photoshop and use them on you images like a watermark. Faststone always seems able to read new RAW files before anyone else I love ACDSee for admin stuff, good for cataloging and has a decent editor (really a great program also) but for quick viewing, FS is great and will upload. Only thing missing is a WB eyedropper

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
JohnMatrix
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?
swings and roundabouts
In reply to Shamus1, May 3, 2012

what about wear and tear on the camera's CF port pins? Both methods equally likely to cause wear and tear if you ask me. Just be more carefull next time would be my (unhelpful) advice to the OP!

And I never turn my dSLRs off (on the basis that they're never actually switched 'off' even when the switch is turned to off). What wear and tear are you specifically talking about when doing a transfer?

Shamus1 wrote:

My first suggestions is two-fold.... send it to Canon and get it fixed....and never use the USB port for routine file transfer unless you are tethering. The repeated connection and reconnection will eventually cause you to have to get it fixed again...plus the wear and tear of having to have the camera powered on during the transfer. I use many cards for an event. Only had one card failure on a new card and fortunately was shooting a 1DmkIII dual card body.

djmorgan
Like?
Re: A sidebar to make you cry
In reply to JohnMatrix, May 3, 2012

I thought I'd share this as it is topical, My USB port also broke so I had organised to send to Canon for repair.

My Postal authority had a different idea! and decided to destroy my MkII, still they paid for a new one

So to the op if you do send for repair make sure you get insurance.

signmaster
Regular MemberPosts: 318Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ershotz -, May 3, 2012

The fix will not be cheap, just had mine fixed at Canon, cost about $900.00, they fitted a new mother board. The socket was not damaged, just did not work. The tech said it was quite common to have damaged USB sockets. I had an extended warranty and accidental damage insurance, so the cost was refunded.
--
Signmaster
http://www.stockphoto.com.au/blog/

Shamus1
Like?
In reply to signmaster, May 3, 2012

signmaster wrote:

The tech said it was quite common to have damaged USB sockets.

Plus if you use multiple cards, you will have to insert them into the camera individually afterward to upload. I'd rather have to replace one card & a card reader, than the USB port or CF socket on a camera, but that's my choice. I think if you search the internet, the preferred method for the sites I seen appears to be card readers. Plus my readers are USB 3.0, Canon only offers USB 2.0 connection on their cameras.

And when I'm done with a camera, it gets shut off and the battery removed, whether its my 1DMkIV or S100.

Dags
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377
Like?
ouch....good old aussie post
In reply to djmorgan, May 3, 2012

looks like they ran it over with a truck. Glad to hear they replaced it with a new camera
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdaggar/

djmorgan
Like?
Re: ouch....good old aussie post
In reply to Dags, May 3, 2012

They wouldn't say how it happened, but were prity embarresed about it, they gave me $2K which I think is good given she was 2 years old.

It looks to me like it got wedged between wheel and tarmac and dragged along for awhile, at least I can proove Canon do build their units from magnesian alloy

Dags wrote:

looks like they ran it over with a truck. Glad to hear they replaced it with a new camera
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdaggar/

M Stewart
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?

Download and install the trial version of "Downloader Pro" from Breeze Systems, and use a card reader. "Downloader Pro" will generate dated folders for you, and you can then get your camera repaired.

http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/

I've used it successfully for years - no connection except as a satisfied user of the software.

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +15 more
Le Kilt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
In reply to Henrik Herranen, May 3, 2012

Henrik Herranen wrote:

trueserve wrote:

What else then? Are you saying that you actually remove your CF card with its brittle, multi-pin connector each time you want to transfer some images?

That's weird, I've been doing that daily for over 5 years, and have had no problem with that.

The advantage of most CF reader slots is that they have side grooves to channel them and are deep enough to ensure the cards are straight and lined up by the time the pins make contact.

The pins on a CF connector or any similar pin connector (eg disks/CD/Floppy drives) are not brittle and can be bent and straightened remarkably well.
Weird but true.

Weird world I live in.

What's the weirdness? The people who lose images are very often of the "I use eight 4 GB cards to minimize my risks" type. They don't realize that every CF card insertion carries both a mechanical and electrical risk to both camera and card. And when they eventually get a failure, they don't say: "Hey, using many cards was perhaps not such a good idea", but instead they say: "Ha, I knew it! From now on I'll use thirty-two 1 GB cards!"

I just love it when someone invents silly people to make a point

Why would you do that? That's asking for trouble and card breakage.
Weird world we live in.

Kind regards,

• Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads