Srill delighted by the C-AF of the E-M5

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
DonParrot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,564Gear list
Like?
Srill delighted by the C-AF of the E-M5
May 2, 2012

Just don't tell me it doesn't work properly!

-- hide signature --

Why not - if there's enough space on the sofa...

I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Srill delighted by the C-AF of the E-M5
In reply to DonParrot, May 3, 2012

Very nice, Good to see this as teh dpreview review indicated that this was the ONE area that it fell behind DSLR's.

The image quality per tests in the review are EXCELLENT, surpassing K5, D7000 and NEX 7.

Looks like OLY have a winner.
--

.....Just from an amateur......'Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.”

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?

Very impressive! Your previous post also showed your dogs approaching, which most C-AF systems have trouble with. It would be nice if you could also show us some pictures where the dogs' movement is lateral to the camera and where they are moving back and forth.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
snapper1967
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?

Didn't you show these already?

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

j.m.young
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
In reply to snapper1967, May 3, 2012

I think the review might have been talking about tracking-AF not C-AF. Not sure and did not take the time to go back and check.

j.m.young's gear list:j.m.young's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +34 more
DonParrot
Like?
In reply to snapper1967, May 3, 2012

snapper1967 wrote:

Didn't you show these already?

Nope - these were shot just this Monday.

Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
mortyski
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?

These do look good but I am interested in faster moving subjects like ski racers or water skiers....has anyone used the E-M5 for faster moving subjects in C-AF

thanks in advance,
Murray
--
Panasonic G3, 20, 14-42, 45-200, 45-175 X
Canon 1D Mark 2 N ,Canon 7D, Canon 20 D, Canon G9, G10
Sony HDR-HC3
100-400 F4.5/5.6 L IS, 70-200 F2.8L, 24-70 F2.8 L
1.4 TC Canon II

DonParrot
Like?
In reply to mortyski, May 3, 2012

mortyski wrote:

These do look good but I am interested in faster moving subjects like ski racers or water skiers....has anyone used the E-M5 for faster moving subjects in C-AF

thanks in advance,
Murray

Hi Murray, even with the 75-300 - that seems to be inferior AF-wise to the 14/40-150 - it works perfectly with subjects moving constantly like - for instance - a car.

Don't know if you have seen the car pics in this album, already - the car was moving at about 70 kph (44mph):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63427925@N00/sets/72157629520530664/

However, things become more difficult when the subjects are moving not that smoothly - particulsrly, as the visible AF field disappears in the burst mode, making the task to keep the subject in the focus field rather difficult.
This definitely should be solved by a firmware update!

Nonetheless, it can be done:

Acahaya was at a horse racetrack, this weekend and tested a lot (in the C-AF-performance improving picture mode vivid) with the 12-50 and 14-150 and Lumix 100-300. She hasn't shown pictures, so far, but she is a really trustworthy person and says that the keeper rate amounted to 75 percent with the first two lenses. With the Lumix 100-300, however, the keeper rate was okay when the horses did their warm-up runs but when they were racing at full speed, the keeper rate was virtually zero.

So, although I really am not interested in horse racing, I will ccheck what the 75-300 can do on a day at the races. Unfortunately, this arguably won't happen too soon as I'm a motor-racing journo and my weekends use to be packed with work, now that the season has begun.

I'm a HOlygan

ZackOJones
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?

Don,

I know there's a 2nd thread where this is discussed in great detail and I've read through most of it. Would you mind posting a brief summary of the settings you're using with the E-M5. I know you're using C-AF with Vivid picture style but what other settings are you using?

I'll be shooting baseball with the 70-300 and E-M5 with coming weekend so hopefully I'll have some good information to add to the subject early next week.

-- hide signature --

You never fail you only produce results; learn from them --
anonymous.

muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?

get me a fast focusing 300mm/f4 and i might go all mirrorless, very encouraging shots.
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

Noam Gordon
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?

Never mind the camera, they are so cute!!

SnapHappy32
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
In reply to Noam Gordon, May 3, 2012

Those are some seriously beautiful dogs.
Chow-chows?

Wonder if it'll (the camera) can keep up with the Jack Russel the wife and I are planning to get

DonParrot
Like?
In reply to ZackOJones, May 3, 2012

ZackOJones wrote:

Don,

I know there's a 2nd thread where this is discussed in great detail and I've read through most of it. Would you mind posting a brief summary of the settings you're using with the E-M5. I know you're using C-AF with Vivid picture style but what other settings are you using?

I'll be shooting baseball with the 70-300 and E-M5 with coming weekend so hopefully I'll have some good information to add to the subject early next week.

Hi Zack,

unfortunately these are the most busy weeks of the year, for me, so I couldn't do all the testing I would love to, so far.

For instance, I'm not too sure if it's better to use the regular AF field or the minimised one. But I always use the single field. Group and tracking is useless as the AF tends to focus on something else than your chosen subject. However, it might be different if you combine tracking with face detection. Doesn't work with dogs but could be a good idea for shooting fast mooving humans.

Currently I'm using vivid with sharpness at -1 and contrast and saturation on default. Still have to find out if I can reduce the saturation without compromising the C-AF performance.

From my findings so far I would say that the 14- 40-150 C-AF better than the 75-300 but it could be that this is caused by the fact that I never used a longer lens that the FT Zuiko 50-200 SWD, to date. The other day, I was quite happy with the results achieved the 75-300 when shooting at 194mm.

But to be honest, if I would plan too shoot football, baseball or the likes, I arguably would opt for shooting in S-AF. The AF is that blinding fast that you just have to aim at your subject, press the release button in one go - and you will get a perfectly focused picture.

While you will get a lot of missed shots in C-AF as the E-M5 hasn't got a dynamic AF - and this combined with the invisble AF field in the burst mode will arguably mean that you will fail to keep the player in focus more often than not. After all, the players don't move in a certain direction as a running dog or a racing horse.

But when you want to shoot more or less stationary subjects, such as the hitter (?) or the guy who is supposed to catch the ball if the hitter misses it (Sorry, don't know a lot about baseball, so I don't know the correct terms), you even might opt for the high burst rate (up to nine pics). In this mode, the AF works only for the first pic and keeps the focus afterwards, but for stationary subjects this may work fine.

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot
Like?
In reply to SnapHappy32, May 3, 2012

Noam Gordon wrote:
Never mind the camera, they are so cute!!

Thanks Noam. Yes they are. And they've got a fantastic character. We love them to the bones.

SnapHappy32 wrote:

Those are some seriously beautiful dogs.
Chow-chows?

Hi Snap, no, we've got two Chows too, but these two are Bearcoat Shar Pei. Unfortunately, they lost their breed status somewhen in the 1980s but fortunately, the bearcoat gene is deep in the gene pool and and so, they won't just disappear. And their even are some breeders who just don't care an keep on breeding them, anyway.

Wonder if it'll (the camera) can keep up with the Jack Russel the wife and I are planning to get

UhUh - lively Jack Russels are a tough task. So, the main question will one if you can succeed in keeping the invisible AF field on the dog. That will be quite a challenge, I think.

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 7,833Gear list
Like?
And we need cats! Whaty's this prejudice against cats???
In reply to MichaelKJ, May 3, 2012

E-M5 is sure looking good. It's not the camera for me, but I’m really glad for all who have lusted after it and are finding it does the job! (At 69 years of age, I’m trying to remember what "lust" means - and it’s not only the memory that's going!) But I am dreaming of PEN with most of the E-M5 specs. I hope I remember that I want it when it finally comes out!

MichaelKJ wrote:

Very impressive! Your previous post also showed your dogs approaching, which most C-AF systems have trouble with. It would be nice if you could also show us some pictures where the dogs' movement is lateral to the camera and where they are moving back and forth.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Mark Chan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,650
Like?

Don,

Better shots this time! Did you put shutter priority for caf off or on?

I couldn't stand the IOC colors using vivid mode and have switched back to portrait.

I hope to get my vertical grip tomorrow.

Hkd 1990.

Regards

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?
Plane of focus

Not to be a party pooper but as far as I can see the plane of focus hasn't actually moved at all between these 3 shots, hardly surprising they're all in accpetable focus. I think it's more testamount to the Olys continuous shooting rate. The fact that it can get 3 shots of dogs running in essentially the same place.

ZackOJones
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?

DonParrot wrote:

But when you want to shoot more or less stationary subjects, such as the hitter (?) or the guy who is supposed to catch the ball if the hitter misses it (Sorry, don't know a lot about baseball, so I don't know the correct terms), you even might opt for the high burst rate (up to nine pics).

Thanks for the additional feedback, Don. I will try various options over the weekend and report back my results next week. As far as baseball terms go the one hitting is called the batter and the one behind the batter catching the ball is called the catcher.

-- hide signature --

You never fail you only produce results; learn from them --
anonymous.

AllBrands
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?

DonParrot wrote:

But to be honest, if I would plan too shoot football, baseball or the likes, I arguably would opt for shooting in S-AF. The AF is that blinding fast that you just have to aim at your subject, press the release button in one go - and you will get a perfectly focused picture.

While you will get a lot of missed shots in C-AF as the E-M5 hasn't got a dynamic AF - and this combined with the invisble AF field in the burst mode will arguably mean that you will fail to keep the player in focus more often than not. After all, the players don't move in a certain direction as a running dog or a racing horse.

I might be wrong about this but it's my understanding that professional sports photogs often shoot in high-speed bursts while manually racking focus in stages (in hopes of allowing the subject player to move through the in-focus zone). This pretty much guaranties that one or more photos will be in focus. Using C-AF on a long zoom with the AF point bouncing all over might easily result in zero in-focus shots. Also, using C-AF, the frame-rate would drop dramatically while the camera struggled to gain focus resulting in further missed shots. I think that a full 9fps on the E-M5 would work well with this MF technique, no?

AllBrands's gear list:AllBrands's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD550 Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Olympus E-420 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +10 more
DonParrot
Like?
Re: Plane of focus
In reply to Dheorl, May 3, 2012

Dheorl wrote:

Not to be a party pooper but as far as I can see the plane of focus hasn't actually moved at all between these 3 shots, hardly surprising they're all in accpetable focus. I think it's more testamount to the Olys continuous shooting rate. The fact that it can get 3 shots of dogs running in essentially the same place.

I don't think so.

These pics weere shot at 4FPS and you can see that Miss MoneyPenny is more or less in the same phase of her motion sequence in every pic. Si, they have nade a fiúll running step from shot to shat what means that they have covered several metres from pic one to pic three. And the focus definitely has followed them.

-- hide signature --

I'm a HOlygan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads