Making an elephant out of a fly

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440
Like?
Making an elephant out of a fly
May 2, 2012

Today I received my EM5. While playing with it I noticed I don't hear any noise/hum coming from it due to IS, an "issue" that was heavily reported about. While wondering how come I brought EM5 closer to my ear and found I could hear hum only if I bring EM5 very close to my ear, 3 or so inches away from it. Now granted I don't have hearing of 21 year old anymore but honestly IMHO anybody that is making issue out of this to a point that some people said they would be embarassed to shoot in quiet environments with it is grossly exaggerating and making an elephant out of a fly.

Rick_X
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
Re: Making an elephant out of a fly
In reply to ZoranC, May 2, 2012

That is good to hear - (no pun intended) - mine is due here tomorrow!

Rick_X's gear list:Rick_X's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZoranC
Like?
In reply to Rick_X, May 2, 2012

Also, for the record, Nikon's VR in my 70-200 VRII can also be heard if my ear is few inches away from it, especially in very quiet environment, but it is practically dead silent when you shoot with it (mirror slap is different story though).

ZoranC
Like?
In reply to Rick_X, May 3, 2012

Rick_X wrote:

That is good to hear - (no pun intended) - mine is due here tomorrow!

I still have to inspect first test shots with it on monitor but first impressions are very positive so I suspect you will like it.

venice
Senior MemberPosts: 1,574
Like?
Agree
In reply to ZoranC, May 3, 2012

ZoranC wrote:

Today I received my EM5. While playing with it I noticed I don't hear any noise/hum coming from it due to IS, an "issue" that was heavily reported about. While wondering how come I brought EM5 closer to my ear and found I could hear hum only if I bring EM5 very close to my ear, 3 or so inches away from it. Now granted I don't have hearing of 21 year old anymore but honestly IMHO anybody that is making issue out of this to a point that some people said they would be embarassed to shoot in quiet environments with it is grossly exaggerating and making an elephant out of a fly.

The EM5 is, without doubt, one of the best interchangeable lens cameras for quiet environments you can get.

First, it is very quiet. The 'hum' is very soft and will not bother anyone. This is a complete non-issue.

Second, the shutter is also very quiet. One of the quietest, if not the quietest, I have ever used. I would be comfortable shooting in a church during services. Even 9fps is quiet.

Third, the overall camera is very unobtrusive. It is small and attractive but not at all flashy. I am referring to the black version.

Forth, you can bring the camera to your eye, or not. Whichever garners the least attention, you can do it.

This camera just flat out works. Great stills and the best video I have ever used in a still camera. Yes, a hacked GH2 will beat it if you have a tripod or steady cam or a dedicated dp and focus puller. But, if you shoot alone, the IBIS is superb and a real game changer. Unless you are a pro, your handheld video will look better shot with the EM5 than any other still camera.

-Bill

riveredger
Contributing MemberPosts: 651Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZoranC, May 3, 2012

lol about 90% of the "issues" raised in this forum are like flies instead of elephants.

riveredger's gear list:riveredger's gear list
Nikon D7100
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 7,860Gear list
Like?
What, Bill, NOT flashy? Bring on the rhinestones and flashing...
In reply to venice, May 3, 2012

...LEDs model! LOL

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads