Light leak fix. No thanks, Canon!

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
BillyGoatGruff
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
Light leak fix. No thanks, Canon!
May 2, 2012

Although I think they should be ashamed of themselves for sticking a piece of black tape to the back of the LCD panel and calling it a bona-fide fix to the light leak defect, I can certainly understand how Canon would do it for the defective units and try to get away with it. There are enough spineless saps out there who are willing to accept anything.

I’m curious, though, as to what Canon is doing for the xxxxx3xxxxx and higher serial numbers. If they plan on manufacturing them with that black tape “fix”, then I’m probably going to pass on the camera altogether.

‘Cause let’s face it: NOBODY who spends $3500 on a camera deserves a product that has a stinking piece of tape inside it like that. A $3500 camera deserves to have PARTS in it. I’m talking about actual parts, i.e. parts designed to properly fit in the camera, and designed to serve a certain purpose. What Canon has done to fix this light leak issue is tantamount to using chewing gum to cover the LCD.

(And for those of you who intend to say “the light leak doesn’t matter anyway”, save it. Even Canon doesn’t agree with you on that one.)

epsilon sigma taph
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
Re: Light leak fix. No thanks, Canon!
In reply to BillyGoatGruff, May 2, 2012

Yet another Canon COCKUP!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ChrisJSLH
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?

So you are getting upset about a fix for something that wasn't a problem in the first place on a piece of equipment you don't even own?

You really must get out more....

Tom Melanson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,214Gear list
Like?

The fix apparently works just fine...that's all that counts.
Maybe they should re-manufacture the entire camera.
--
(See equipment list under 'profile')

Tom Melanson's gear list:Tom Melanson's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
killingbuddha
Contributing MemberPosts: 595Gear list
Like?
In reply to ChrisJSLH, May 2, 2012

not to mention that there was lots of that tape in there already which, by the same reviewer, was seen as a good thing. Have you looked inside a camera to see what one normally looks like? What kind of a "part" would do a better job?

-- hide signature --

Peter Buehner
http://www.lingeringlight.com
Maine, USA

killingbuddha's gear list:killingbuddha's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +8 more
Invertalon
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?

You guys need to get over yourselves. It is an electrical device and the fix does what it needs to. And yes, the 'light leak' issue is B.S... Seriously. If you actually owned the camera (like I do) you will see for yourself it is completely idiotic.

Look inside almost any electrical device and you will find tape, clips, etc... I don't get what is so shocking about this fix? If you feel that is too "cheap" for you, you won't want to know what all the resistors and everything else cost in the camera. Many components probably less then the small strips of tape.

Some people just like to stir up drama I suppose... Get over it.

abracadabenhotmailfr
Contributing MemberPosts: 634
Like?

mmm, I guess you open your camera everyday to display it and say hey here is my very expensive camera. in that case, yeah a black tape might suck...

but if you use it just to shoot... you shouldn't have to worry about it really.

did you know some weather seals are foam? even in a $3,500 camera??? OMG...
spend $6K to get the real ones ;-0)

bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,388Gear list
Like?
Tape? We don't need no stinking tape!

BillyGoatGruff wrote:

Although I think they should be ashamed of themselves for sticking a piece of black tape to the back of the LCD panel and calling it a bona-fide fix to the light leak defect, I can certainly understand how Canon would do it for the defective units and try to get away with it. There are enough spineless saps out there who are willing to accept anything.

I’m curious, though, as to what Canon is doing for the xxxxx3xxxxx and higher serial numbers. If they plan on manufacturing them with that black tape “fix”, then I’m probably going to pass on the camera altogether.

‘Cause let’s face it: NOBODY who spends $3500 on a camera deserves a product that has a stinking piece of tape inside it like that. A $3500 camera deserves to have PARTS in it. I’m talking about actual parts, i.e. parts designed to properly fit in the camera, and designed to serve a certain purpose. What Canon has done to fix this light leak issue is tantamount to using chewing gum to cover the LCD.

(And for those of you who intend to say “the light leak doesn’t matter anyway”, save it. Even Canon doesn’t agree with you on that one.)

Looks like you'll be passing on the 5D3 then. This one with the tape fix (no mention whether it stinks) is apparently a serial number "3".

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/05/the-fix-is-in

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,804Gear list
Like?
You do not surprise me.

I have always been skeptical you had any real intention to buy this camera. Or that we'd ever see an image from you on it.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
Guy Lerner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,770
Like?

The OP clearly has no clue. Ever opened up an iMac? I'm glad you're skipping the 5D3 - gives someone who actually wants to take photos a chance to get one of the world's best-ever DSLRs. Do us all a favour and go troll in another forum.

David Franklin
Contributing MemberPosts: 947
Like?
Re: You do not surprise me.
In reply to GaryJP, May 2, 2012

+1. I guess he was expecting a platinum shroud using stealth coating technologies. He appears to be either clueless about things like this or is just a semi-clever troll. I would like to be wrong about that, because I prefer to think well of everybody, but his own posts just keep speaking for themselves.

Regards,
David
--
Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

whitehat
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?

No new technology works perfectly. Technology that has evolved over dozens of years is still not perfect. Hardware, software, cars, even the NASA space shuttle is prone to defects in manufacturing and design. Commercial airlines (probably the most sophisticated machine on the earth) are choc full of issues and need constant repair and maintenance to keep them running.

How perfect are people? Humans are prone to all sorts of physical mental capability defects and disease. People make mistakes and serious ones - so do we discount them and say - no thanks - forget you.

How perfect of a picture are photographers producing after dozens years of photographic experience - not even close. Images go from magnificent to total garbage. So what - everyone is learning. I started shooting when I was 8 years old, and shot my first function (a communion) at 9 - I'm in my 30's now - and still learning and making mistake. I shot video in between for 16 years - everything from VHS through XDCAM - still made mistakes.

Expecting perfection for a measly $3500 from a company that manufacturers hundreds of thousands of products is a highly unreasonable expectation.

If Canon created a fabric and adhesive "part" called a light seal and put a canon logo in the corner and called it part LS-100 and provided a box and instructions it would be a "part". Oh ya - gaffer tape is the exact same thing - now it sucks? Productization doesn't make something a solution. Point out the defect and report it - that is the end of it. If the defect makes shooting impossible or highly risk Canon will recall or refund your money - I guarantee it. They know this issue is not a big deal and personally I couldn't agree more.

I for one highly commend Canon and Nikon alike for their intense passion for creating beautiful technology that gives us the capability to enjoy photography and for many earn a living doing what they enjoy. In light of tsunami's, floods and earthquakes they continue to deliver as fast as the can and we should appreciate it.

Michael H
Regular MemberPosts: 475
Like?

Stop being a Billy Goat.

Invertalon
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?

I think his attempt to troll failed... He got no followers (as planned) I am sure. Way to go guys for actually having common sense.

tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,128
Like?
Some people just..

can't be satisfied. The problem is solved and still ranting about it! Get a life! Sometimes the simpliest solution is the best.

tomboy
Contributing MemberPosts: 924Gear list
Like?

shame on canon..when i heard about the tape and millions others will .. shows how the canon built quality is ..it like buy a new car and tape the head lights
rather than use proper material

bad roomers gest around ..not only the 5dmark 3 is way over price ..but use TAPE to prevent a light leak..WAKE UP CANON..

GaryJP
Like?
Re: Some people just..
In reply to tocar, May 2, 2012

I strongly suspect this DPReview account was set up solely to blow up this non issue.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
mforbes
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?
In reply to tomboy, May 2, 2012

Nice job Canon, I guess Bondo was not cost effective.

mforbes's gear list:mforbes's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D3 Nikon D700 +35 more
GaryJP
Like?
In reply to tomboy, May 2, 2012

This one really does draw the trolls from under the bridge.

-- hide signature --
Le Kilt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
Stinking Troll ?!

What a joke.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads