While desperately waiting for the D800 for birding...

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
Dileep Kumar
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?
While desperately waiting for the D800 for birding...
May 2, 2012

Like many, I too have been spending my free time here reading all about D800 for last three months or so. As expected, at the end probably got infected with D800 syndrome.

I ordered mine from B&H during the first hours of pre-order hoping that I can use it for the spring migration and my forthcoming Himalayan trip. As you can expect, it became a big letdown and now I had to abandon my Himalayan trip as well. Now I have 24-70mm f/2.8 and MB-D12 still in the box waiting for their master.

Since it started affecting my day to day life thought of getting out to the deserts & farms here with my D300s & 500mm VR combo.

Here are the ones taken these days with this combo (except one). I know, probably outcome of these trips would have been different if I had D800.

I dedicate these spring migration images to maestro Late Ronnie Gaubert, who left all of us one year ago due to ALS.

It was Ronnie who lured me into the bird photography five years ago. Without his able guidance I'm sure I wouldn't have taken up Birdphotography. He was a unique personality and his legendary works continue to wonder and inspire me.

With prayers for his soul...

Kind regards,
Dileep Anthikad

1) Masked Shrike (1/1000, f/7.1, ISO-400 & Hand-held)

2) White-throated Robin (1/160, f/5.6, ISO-400 & Hand-held)

3) Bluethroat (1/500, f/7.1, ISO-400 & Bean bag)

4) Common Kestrel (1/640, f/7.1, ISO-320 & Hand-held). Found around two dozen thorns on my belly & arms after this shot. But at the end result was highly satisfying.

5) Barred Warbler (1/800, f/7.1, ISO-500 and Hand-held)

6) Quail (1/400, f/5.6, ISO-400 & Hand-held)

7) Woodchat Shrike (1/400, f/7.1, ISO-400 & Bean bag)

8) Isabelline Shrike (1/200, f/5.6, ISO-400 & Hand-held)

9) Willow Warbler (1/640, f/6.3, ISO-400 & Hand-held)

10) Turtle Dove (1/400, f/7.1, ISO-400 & Hand-held) had to scroll a long distance to get close to this bird and unfortunately it's flushed by a bystander before I get into my position

11) Grey Hypocolius (1/800, f.7.1, ISO-400 & Hand-held) Very shy and one of the most wanted birds here. Had cloned out some distracting twigs & darkened the sky a bit)

Nikon D300S Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peter in Milton
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
Re: While desperately waiting for the D800 for birding...
In reply to Dileep Kumar, May 2, 2012

Excellent shots. It's hard to imagine how you could have done much better with any other camera.
Peter.

Peter in Milton's gear list:Peter in Milton's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dileep Kumar
Like?
In reply to Peter in Milton, May 3, 2012

Thanks a lot Peter for your feedback.

I enjoy action shots & was referring to the lost opportunities due to lack of initial focus acquisition and lost low light shots otherwise I would have gone for.

Kind regards
Dileep

Peter in Milton wrote:

Excellent shots.  It's hard to imagine how you could have done much better with any other camera.
Peter.

shawnfb
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dileep Kumar, May 3, 2012

BEAUTIFUL!!!

thanks for sharing.... tell me these are not all in the same day!!!

-- hide signature --

shawn

shawnfb's gear list:shawnfb's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
shawnfb
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?

-- hide signature --

shawn

shawnfb's gear list:shawnfb's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
GAP IMAGES
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing!

I agree with you about Ronnie Gaubert ... I often look at his wonderful photos of his beloved Louisana! So sad that he left us early

Hotsauce
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?

Marvelous Pictures mate. Believe me, you do not need a new camera.

However, it would be nice to have a d800, wouldn't it?

BarrytheB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,152
Like?

Outstanding captures- I am also a big fan of Ronnie's work- he'd be proud of these- well done.
--
Barry Byrd
http://www.pbase.com/barryb
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr

'Liking it ain't required'
Gary Hale
1952-2008

Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,781Gear list
Like?

Absolutely wonderful images!! You have done very well with these and they are a credit to you!!

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
Many Feathers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,688Gear list
Like?
Surprising shutter speeds

INCREDIBLE photos!!!

What surprised me is your shutter speeds. I have been taking photos of birds in my yard for several years and loved the D700. Don't have that 500mm though! Mostly use the 70-200 with the 2x TCIII. But, I rarely use such a low shutter speed because even when they're still, they're constantly moving....fast. Even with my parrots...those heads turn so fast. So...how do you do it? Are you just waiting for the bird to be still? Or as still as they might be? What is your delete rate because of movement blur? (I would LOVE to use slower shutter speeds

I got the d800 last friday and was finally able to shoot outside yesterday. What is so incredible is the ability to crop and see individual feathers! I love zooming in on the monitor and seeing what I can't see otherwise The reach you're gonna get with your skills and that 500... can't wait to see what you do.

MF

Dileep Kumar
Like?
In reply to shawnfb, May 3, 2012

Nice bird and perch. What is the ID of the bird?

IMHO, ISO-400 or 800 would have helped you to expose for the bird. Hope D800 will help me a lot in similar situations.

Kind regards
Dileep

shawnfb wrote:

-- hide signature --

shawn

Dileep Kumar
Like?
In reply to GAP IMAGES, May 3, 2012

Thanks for your kind feedbacks.

Seeing his posts used to lift my spirit. Yes, it's a huge loss for all of us.

GAP IMAGES wrote:

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing!

I agree with you about Ronnie Gaubert ... I often look at his wonderful photos of his beloved Louisana! So sad that he left us early

Dileep Kumar
Like?
In reply to BarrytheB, May 3, 2012

Thanks a lot Barry for your kind words.

BarrytheB wrote:

Outstanding captures- I am also a big fan of Ronnie's work- he'd be proud of these- well done.
--
Barry Byrd
http://www.pbase.com/barryb
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr

'Liking it ain't required'
Gary Hale
1952-2008

Dileep Kumar
Like?
In reply to Hotsauce, May 3, 2012

Thanks a lot for these encouraging words. Hope B&H won't hear this and cancell my D800 order... LOL!

BTW, there is a good news. B&H is shipping my camera today. I just can't believe it.

Hotsauce wrote:

Marvelous Pictures mate. Believe me, you do not need a new camera.

However, it would be nice to have a d800, wouldn't it?

Dileep Kumar
Like?
In reply to Lance B, May 3, 2012

Hi Lance,

Pleased to have your feedback.

Kind regards
Dileep

Lance B wrote:

Absolutely wonderful images!! You have done very well with these and they are a credit to you!!

-- hide signature --
Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,059
Like?

Beautiful birds and beautiful images.
Thanks for sharing these.
--
Cheers, BB
FlickR site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/
Flickr D800 gallery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/sets/72157629726734905/
FlickR Nikon1 V1 gallery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/sets/72157628774050455/

TDong
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780
Like?

awesome

donski
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
In reply to TDong, May 3, 2012

Great variety. I do, however, find that most of the eyes aren't as sharp as I myself would like them to be. Still, that's still better than what I could do.

Dileep Kumar
Like?
Re: Surprising shutter speeds
In reply to Many Feathers, May 3, 2012

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

I rarely use such a low shutter speed because even when they're still, they're constantly moving....fast. Even with my parrots...those heads turn so fast. > So...how do you do it? Are you just waiting for the bird to be still?

Yes. In low light conditions, , I patiently wait for the right angle and posture to click. Even the restless birds, while keep moving or flicking their wings or tail, have stop for a second. I mostly get lucky with that.

What is your delete rate because of movement blur? (I would LOVE to use slower shutter speeds

Well, success ratio varies for hand-held shots. For example, at the early hours of trekking, I get close to 100%. But as the day progress and get tired it drops even to 50%.

Light was very poor when spotted this rare bird during an African trip. I had to go with 1/40 and out of four, three came out ok when I looked at the big screen. And forth one showed motion blur. So, sometimes luck is also is a critical factor.

Black-headed Gonolek (1/40, f/5.6, ISO-800 & Hand-held)

I would like to share one observation. Breath control is a very important factor with low shutter speeds.

Many Feathers wrote:

INCREDIBLE photos!!!

What surprised me is your shutter speeds. I have been taking photos of birds in my yard for several years and loved the D700. Don't have that 500mm though! Mostly use the 70-200 with the 2x TCIII. But, I rarely use such a low shutter speed because even when they're still, they're constantly moving....fast. Even with my parrots...those heads turn so fast. So...how do you do it? Are you just waiting for the bird to be still? Or as still as they might be? What is your delete rate because of movement blur? (I would LOVE to use slower shutter speeds

I got the d800 last friday and was finally able to shoot outside yesterday. What is so incredible is the ability to crop and see individual feathers! I love zooming in on the monitor and seeing what I can't see otherwise The reach you're gonna get with your skills and that 500... can't wait to see what you do.

I was bit hesitant when I decided to pre-order D800 because of motion blur this sensor likely to cause. I know that would be end of my hand-held photography. But after reading all these I can't wait to get hold of my D800. I think it should be here within in four days. Wow!!!!

Kind regards,
Dileep Anthikad

MF

Dileep Kumar
Like?
In reply to donski, May 3, 2012

Thanks a lot for your comments, I value it.

I always try to focus on eyes, but found it difficult to get spot on with hand-held shots. Then I tried settle with the fact that photography is all about compromise.

donski wrote:

Great variety. I do, however, find that most of the eyes aren't as sharp as I myself would like them to be. Still, that's still better than what I could do.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads