Local Dealer's Comments on Olympus

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
oilman010101
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
Local Dealer's Comments on Olympus
May 2, 2012

Word for word phone conversation with the biggest local camera dealer in Houston:

Me: Do you have any Olympus E-M5's in stock?
Dealer: No sir
Me: Any plans to?
Me: Aren't you an Olympus dealer?

Dealer: Yes, but they've fallen off the earth. There's just no market for them anymore.

sigh I said thank you and hung up.

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,019Gear list
Like?
Guess they've been sleeping
In reply to oilman010101, May 2, 2012

these past few months.
--
Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bangers and Mash
Contributing MemberPosts: 969Gear list
Like?
Re: Local Dealer's Comments on Olympus

oilman010101 wrote:

Word for word phone conversation with the biggest local camera dealer in Houston:

Dealer: Yes, but they've fallen off the earth. There's just no market for them anymore.

Forest Gump sums him up when he said, "stupid is, what stupid does". Where's his store located in anyway . . . Fantasyland?

siminona
Senior MemberPosts: 1,221
Like?

That's awesome. Can you give us their number? Let's all call in to inquire about the E-M5. Just kidding.

oilman010101 wrote:

mring1
Contributing MemberPosts: 828Gear list
Like?
That was an honest reply...

Because when Canikon holds 80% of the market and Sony's offering all kinds of spifs for dealers, what's the point of stocking them? Oly burned a lot of bridges with the brick-and-mortar stores, and they're selling stuff off their own corporate site (that's where I ordered mine), so even with what I suspect will be the huge success of the EM-5, you're not going to see that translate into an increased local camera store presence.

At the end of the day, Oly, Pentax, and even Pany are a niche market. Nikon and Canon both require a $250K inventory before you can sell the first camera, so the investment for narrow market cameras is not for the faint-hearted camera store owner. I don't blame them all that much.

You'll have to travel to Austin (Precision Camera) to see it in the flesh, and I have to go to LA (Samy's) if we want to see them.

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Robert Kinsell
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
In reply to siminona, May 2, 2012

Was this Houston Camera Exchange on Richmond? I just had the same experience last week as a walk-in to the store. Too bad, that is where I bought my E3.

Robert Kinsell
http://www.robertkinsellartist.com

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,402Gear list
Like?

oilman010101 wrote:

They must be located too close to one of those refineries down there and been sniffing the fumes.....

There's at least two big independent stores here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that are, or will be carrying them.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +11 more
thinkcooper
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to Robert Kinsell, May 2, 2012

I had the same basic experience walking into San Jose Camera, in Campbell California. They are an Olympus dealer which I only discovered after going in for a bag and noticing the Olympus dealer neon sign in a far corner of the store.

I already had my received E-M5 the day before, but I asked if they were getting any new "Olympus" cameras in. The clerk told me that they don't stock much Olympus gear anymore because they didn't know if the company would be there tomorrow.

Funny thing, they had several 4/3rds lenses including a 50-200 and a 70-300 but the clerk didn't seem the least bit interested in telling me about what they did have in stock. I was going to go out to the car and get my EM5 to try out with the 50-200, but figured screw it - and bought the crumpler camera bag insert in my hand and called it a day.

Crimguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
In reply to thinkcooper, May 2, 2012

Similar for me in Phoenix but more diplomatic. They said (rightly in my opinion) that their dslr offering ls were not particularly compelling compared to Canon and Nikon, so they stopped carrying them.

Crimguy's gear list:Crimguy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Nocturnalist
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?

I had a similar exchange with them recently. They said they haven't even had contact with their Oly rep in months. I can't find any place in Houston to so much as hold a demo unit. Gotta take a trip to Austin or San Antonio if I want to play with one before the Silver kit I have on order from B & H comes in. Whenever that might be.

MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?

Sad, but understandable. Most people buy online to avoid paying sales tax and small stores can't afford to have slow moving inventory.

Despite the popularity of the E-M5, it wouldn't surprise me if a store like that was only able to sell 5-10.

Oly needs to offer incentives to dealers if they wants them to stock their products.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
BamaPanda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,127Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nocturnalist, May 2, 2012

Had a few minutes ..called Camera Co-Op ...no go; called Houston Camera Exchange ...no go.

Then called Wolfe ..they show it to order ...but at 1999.00 with the 14-42 I don't think they will get too many takers.

BamaPanda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,127Gear list
Like?
In reply to thinkcooper, May 2, 2012

thinkcooper wrote:

I had the same basic experience walking into San Jose Camera, in Campbell California. They are an Olympus dealer which I only discovered after going in for a bag and noticing the Olympus dealer neon sign in a far corner of the store.

I already had my received E-M5 the day before, but I asked if they were getting any new "Olympus" cameras in. The clerk told me that they don't stock much Olympus gear anymore because they didn't know if the company would be there tomorrow.

Funny thing, they had several 4/3rds lenses including a 50-200 and a 70-300 but the clerk didn't seem the least bit interested in telling me about what they did have in stock. I was going to go out to the car and get my EM5 to try out with the 50-200, but figured screw it - and bought the crumpler camera bag insert in my hand and called it a day.

And they wonder why they are not getting more business!

You should have brought the OMD in for a fitting ...just to watch his eyes pop when he saw it.

Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?
In reply to MichaelKJ, May 2, 2012

The UK is hardly a hotbed of Olympus dealers but there's a small store in the highlands of Scotland (total population around 100,000 people) that had 14 pre-orders.

Suspect it is ignorance really.

Luckily for Olympus world demographics is gradually making the USA (and UK) an irrelevance as far as sales are concerned.

Olymore's gear list:Olymore's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
thinkcooper
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to BamaPanda, May 2, 2012

I do have a little regret for not going out to the car and grabbing the EM5, just to see if it fit okay in the bag, and then gauging if the staff gave a crap about this new offering from Olympus. But I figured they must've seen it when their local Oly rep visited.

They are a pretty high-end shop, one of the last few in the whole bay area, with lots of well-heeled tech rich customers. I think it would've taken a $30K Hassleblad to get a rise out of em.

nxp3
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?
Houston is a big city

You would think there's a place to get an olympus camera, but I really don't know where to check one out. I've got epl1 and epl2 online and now em5. They did have epl1 much later after release at bestbuy, but who waits that long?
--
-bokehmokehshmokeh-

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,792Gear list
Like?
In reply to Olymore, May 2, 2012

In Louisville, Kentucky the local camera store carries Olympus including the E-M5. They got 5 E-M5 cameras in 2-1/2 weeks ago. They were all pre-orders. I was the 6th person on the list and I am still waiting. I did get to play with the E-M5 and really like the camera.

So right now for this camera store Olympus is their third brand with Canon and Nikon being the main brands. They also carry Fuji and might start carrying Sony again. Sony is really trying hard to get back into local camera stores.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +24 more
jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to DLBlack, May 2, 2012

My local dealer has Olympus signs, cameras, front and center all the time. Including the local rep coming in on a regular basis.

They are selling a lot of pen and omd-em5 cameras.

They also carry Nikon and Canon, and the usual Tamron, Tokina third party lens, but no Panasonic products. They will also order Zeiss lens for one, not sure it they carry in stock, but the rep has been there when I have been shopping.

oilman010101
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to Robert Kinsell, May 2, 2012

Robert Kinsell wrote:

Was this Houston Camera Exchange on Richmond? I just had the same experience last week as a walk-in to the store. Too bad, that is where I bought my E3.

Robert Kinsell
http://www.robertkinsellartist.com

Yes, them.

But I shouldn't be surprised. Two months after the Olympus XZ-1 came out, the guy tending the point and shoot section had not heard of it.

dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Rules in Retail

Know your product
Know the competition

or

Know you will fail

I think I would have been so amazed I would have to do SOMETHING, anything that would make me feel like I increased their awareness. WOW!

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads