OMD pocketable shock!

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
OMD pocketable shock!
May 2, 2012

The lack of a full grip makes the OM-D much more pocketable than I had expected. Fits easily in my waistcoat pocket with no lens (lens in other pocket), unlike G1 or GH2. Wow! That's a big, and pleasant, surprise.

Won't be able to return it now, a few trips in your pocket tends to do nothing for the cosmetics
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,850Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD pocketable shock!
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 2, 2012

You mean the paint flakes or body is easy to scratch?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

The lack of a full grip makes the OM-D much more pocketable than I had expected. Fits easily in my waistcoat pocket with no lens (lens in other pocket), unlike G1 or GH2. Wow! That's a big, and pleasant, surprise.

Won't be able to return it now, a few trips in your pocket tends to do nothing for the cosmetics
--

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarcusBrody
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?

I'm just impressed that you're wearing a waistcoat.

MarcusBrody's gear list:MarcusBrody's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?
depends on the size of the pockets
In reply to MarcusBrody, May 2, 2012

i have some Tac 5.11 cargo trouser(you wear pants underneath trousers in case anyone asks) and the pockets are so spacious i can fit a d200 with the 50mm 1.8 in the back pocket. I can easily fit the GF1 in the front pocket with the 45mm or 14mm attached.....although for some reason the 14mm gives me less weirder looks......i have never tried both at the same time
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?

It all depends on size of your waistcoat. If you had waistcoat like this guy's, you would be able to fit not only GH2 but probably even D800, with lens

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
nxp3
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?
In reply to micksh6, May 2, 2012

Jesus...hel looks like he's about to blow up a building.
--
-bokehmokehshmokeh-

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to MarcusBrody, May 2, 2012

Leather. I'm a biker.

MarcusBrody wrote:

I'm just impressed that you're wearing a waistcoat.

tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,452Gear list
Like?
Re: You should be able to include a pancake

I use the 14 2.5 in place of a mount cover (helps to like that FoV).

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, May 2, 2012

Sure, but I'm doing that I'll take the E-PM1.

tinternaut wrote:

-- hide signature --
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, May 2, 2012

tinternaut wrote:

. . . I've been able to carry my OM-D & 20/1.7 in my coat pocket but it's a tight fit.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,104Gear list
Like?
I can only remember 3 pockets !

As I've said before:

I can only remember what's in Three pockets;

Obviously, even he can't remember

where he stowed his razor !

Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,019Gear list
Like?
Depends on your pockets

I've carried my E-520 in one pocket and the 14-42 in the other and you couldn't tell I was packing. (no need to advertize in the subway)

Then again, in my other jacket, I've carried the 70-300 in an inside pocket (OK, tight fit)

But I can't always wear a jacket w big pockets. I like the fact that the E-M5 is compact, but the grip is available (or is it? still shows as out of stock) so it's a camera that goes both ways. I'm wondering how pocketable the grip is once removed from the camera.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
hahaha
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?

nice!

micksh6 wrote:

It all depends on size of your waistcoat. If you had waistcoat like this guy's, you would be able to fit not only GH2 but probably even D800, with lens

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Used 17mm as a cap

I bought a used 17mm pancake. It is very small and light and even works well. As you said then the E-M5 fits is a large pocket. I can keep my other lenses in my other pocket.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

--

timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, May 2, 2012

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

tinternaut wrote:

. . . I've been able to carry my OM-D & 20/1.7 in my coat pocket but it's a tight fit.

I use a similar size cam and lens and it's the weight I find the most uncomfortable. The size is not too bulgingly bad, in a coat pocket at least.

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
grumpyolderman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

--

you might as well admit to it....that was your plan to have no chance but to keep it....psychology

JL

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,850Gear list
Like?

LOL.

Wearing something like that might land you in jail.
Looks like you are a walking bomb.
How many of you actually wear a dorky photographer's vest filled up like that?

micksh6 wrote:

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +6 more
timedrun
Like?

micksh6 wrote:

Two of the gentleman's pockets seem to be stocked with a good selection of biros. I can normally never find a biro when I need one so I might be tempted to wear it as an "answering the phone" vest.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,313Gear list
Like?
In reply to timedrun, May 2, 2012

timedrun wrote:

micksh6 wrote:

Two of the gentleman's pockets seem to be stocked with a good selection of biros. I can normally never find a biro when I need one so I might be tempted to wear it as an "answering the phone" vest.

This man once showed everything that he carries in his pockets. He is not a photographer, although he got some ultracompact. There are 26 pockets in that waistcoat, it's unique dress. I bet it would be useful for photographers.

As you can see below even this waistcoat can look natural. And the guy can safely walk on the street. But this probably causes some secret service agent to follow him.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
timedrun
Like?

micksh6 wrote:

timedrun wrote:

micksh6 wrote:

This man once showed everything that he carries in his pockets. He is not a photographer, although he got some ultracompact. There are 26 pockets in that waistcoat, it's unique dress. I bet it would be useful for photographers.

As you can see below even this waistcoat can look natural. And the guy can safely walk on the street. But this probably causes some secret service agent to follow him.

His comprehensive selection of biros is very easy to see in your second phot, but I can't see them on display in the first photo where the pockets are emptied.
--
A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads