Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,723
Like?
Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
May 2, 2012

A different take on my shots of the NY Yankees. I was invited by a good friend and got some great seats behind home plate at Yankee Stadium. Great time to take the D300 & 70-200 VR II

Excuse the lines. We were behind the protective netting. Shot wide open at f/2.8, ISO 1000 or ISO 1250.

http://dezsantana.com/yankee_stadium_new
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hansa Yindee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,777Gear list
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to DezM, May 2, 2012

.
Dez your work is always top of the line.
Love your black and white images ....;-)
.
--
Jon in Thailand

http://www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/
.

 Hansa Yindee's gear list:Hansa Yindee's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,561
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to DezM, May 2, 2012

Can't beat a good seat.

What's happening in the fifth one? It looks like his club has turned into an umbrella.
--
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk
http://www.johnleechstudio.blogspot.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
donski
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to jkjond, May 2, 2012

Better to have those nets in front of you rather than a ball right on your lens. Hehe.
Nice set, Dez.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rufusm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,086
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to DezM, May 2, 2012

Nice seats Dez and good shooting! Love the b&w for the Yankee pinstripes.
--
http://www.cpetridis.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,723
Like?
Thanks Jon ;)
In reply to Hansa Yindee, May 2, 2012
-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,723
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to jkjond, May 2, 2012

jkjond wrote:

Can't beat a good seat.

What's happening in the fifth one? It looks like his club has turned into an umbrella.

You're right. Best seat I've ever had. Came with unlimited food included

Alex Rodriguez is swinging a heavy warm-up bat. It's used to stretch your muscles while swinging before it's your time to bat up.
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,723
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to donski, May 2, 2012

donski wrote:

Better to have those nets in front of you rather than a ball right on your lens. Hehe.
Nice set, Dez.

Very true Thank you
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,723
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to rufusm, May 2, 2012

Thanks Chris. I figured I'd process them a little different.
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,561
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to DezM, May 2, 2012

DezM wrote:

jkjond wrote:

Can't beat a good seat.

What's happening in the fifth one? It looks like his club has turned into an umbrella.

You're right. Best seat I've ever had. Came with unlimited food included

It sounds like a recipe for the perfect episode of The Simpsons.

Alex Rodriguez is swinging a heavy warm-up bat. It's used to stretch your muscles while swinging before it's your time to bat up.

Interesting, never heard of that.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,723
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to jkjond, May 2, 2012

jkjond wrote:

DezM wrote:

jkjond wrote:

Can't beat a good seat.

What's happening in the fifth one? It looks like his club has turned into an umbrella.

You're right. Best seat I've ever had. Came with unlimited food included

It sounds like a recipe for the perfect episode of The Simpsons.

Alex Rodriguez is swinging a heavy warm-up bat. It's used to stretch your muscles while swinging before it's your time to bat up.

Interesting, never heard of that.

Here's a sample:
http://www.meigawarmupbat.com/products
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,428
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to DezM, May 2, 2012

Nice shots Dez...I was watching that game on TV and pretty sure I saw you...had a camera, and I thought...boy sure does look like Dez...but I figured odds of that were just too high.
--
Herby

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,723
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to herbymel, May 2, 2012

herbymel wrote:

Nice shots Dez...I was watching that game on TV and pretty sure I saw you...had a camera, and I thought...boy sure does look like Dez...but I figured odds of that were just too high.

Lol. Thanks. I was in the 5th row, just to the left of home plate (from the TV's view). My father said he saw me on TV and called me right away. I forgot to record it on the DVR

To my right was my friend who invited me. We both had SLRs with 70-200 lenses
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Cohen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,200
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to DezM, May 2, 2012

Now that's a good friend!

Nice shooting, Dez. It must have been fun to be sitting in that area.
--
--Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,561
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to DezM, May 2, 2012

neat, an adjustable warmup bat, I bet they have lively debates on the bat forums.
--
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk
http://www.johnleechstudio.blogspot.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NikonMan09
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to DezM, May 2, 2012

Dez, those are very nice pictures! I especially liked the sharpness and control of DOF.

I have a question. You stated that you took these with the 70-200 VRII. Prior to owning this lens did you own the original VR version of this lens? If you did, how would you compare the AF speed between these two versions of the lens?

I recently bought a lightly used 70-200 VR from ebay, saving a good bit of money over what it might have cost me to by the VRII version new. I bought this lens mainly to use to photograph the sport of swimming in badly-lit local pools. However, I must say that I was a bit surprised that the AF speed of this lens seems only the slightest bit faster, if at all, compared to the AF speed of my 70-300 VR. The AF on my 70-200 VR works with a pro smoothness the 70-300 VR surely lacks, but I must say I was surprised that the AF speed was a vritual tie at 200mm with the 70-300 VR.

Thanks for your help and keep up the great photographic documentation of NYC!

Fred
--
Formerly known as MinoltaMan78. Switched to Nikon in 2009.

 NikonMan09's gear list:NikonMan09's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarceloLI
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,809Gear list
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to DezM, May 2, 2012

Fantastic set of pictures Dez, the 2nd is my favorite.

I though is not allowed for people to enter the stadium with DSRL and big lenses.

Thank you for sharing.

Marcelo

-- hide signature --

 MarceloLI's gear list:MarceloLI's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1971_M5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,834Gear list
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to DezM, May 2, 2012

Excellent. Nice close-up of Jeter. But I like #1 the best... baseball is such a tough life! Look at the clean clothes and shoes -- and the girth! I have been to a couple of Mariner's games also behind home plate (Diamond Club) -- the face value on the tickets is $250. As a Diamond Club member, you get totally over-the-top food and drink service -- at your seat (just fill-in the dots on the card in the seat pocket in front of you -- like a multiple-choice test -- easy!). There are DC folks standing in the aisle just waiting to pick-up your form and make the run for you. Ahhhhh. And what's more, before the game in the Diamond Club Lounge, there are table-sized platters piled high with grilled salmon, chicken, pork tenderlon, steaks, more seafood/shellfish, etc. -- and then of course side dishes, salads, desserts, etc. -- and drinks (bar and soft) -- all for "free" -- right? So get to the ballpark early! My buddy's company has 8 season tickets. Let's see... 8 X $250 = $2000 x 81 home games = $162,000 for season tickets. Free indeed!
--
JF

 1971_M5's gear list:1971_M5's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,723
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to 1971_M5, May 3, 2012

1971_M5 wrote:

Excellent. Nice close-up of Jeter. But I like #1 the best... baseball is such a tough life! Look at the clean clothes and shoes -- and the girth! I have been to a couple of Mariner's games also behind home plate (Diamond Club) -- the face value on the tickets is $250. As a Diamond Club member, you get totally over-the-top food and drink service -- at your seat (just fill-in the dots on the card in the seat pocket in front of you -- like a multiple-choice test -- easy!). There are DC folks standing in the aisle just waiting to pick-up your form and make the run for you. Ahhhhh. And what's more, before the game in the Diamond Club Lounge, there are table-sized platters piled high with grilled salmon, chicken, pork tenderlon, steaks, more seafood/shellfish, etc. -- and then of course side dishes, salads, desserts, etc. -- and drinks (bar and soft) -- all for "free" -- right? So get to the ballpark early! My buddy's company has 8 season tickets. Let's see... 8 X $250 = $2000 x 81 home games = $162,000 for season tickets. Free indeed!

JFK, that's exactly the service we got with those seats. We arrived at 5:30pm and had an 'all you can eat dinner' as you described above. As well as dessert, candy etc. The service continued at our field level seats. Great experience and our seats were called Legends Suites.

Thanks for the compliment and for sharing that tidbit of info
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,723
Like?
Re: Yanks: The Blacks & The Whites
In reply to MarceloLI, May 3, 2012

MarceloLI wrote:

Fantastic set of pictures Dez, the 2nd is my favorite.

I though is not allowed for people to enter the stadium with DSRL and big lenses.

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks Marcelo. SLRs are allowed but not large lenses or video recording. They looked at my camera and let me pass
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads