Picture Styles

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
Tuckerpup
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
Picture Styles
May 2, 2012

I have recently acquired a 60D and am of course playing with the features. The Picture Style menu offers the opportunity to custom tweak settings for the several "Style" settings, something I normally don't mess with. But in this case, while experimenting in monochrome (b&w) I upped the contrast to good effect. This got me to wondering if people on the forum board had suggestions for other "Picture Style" settings for any of the other styles that they've liked. Even if it's a custom setting I'd be curious what ideas are out there and what results hey produce.

Discuss!

Tuckerpup's gear list:Tuckerpup's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +6 more
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
The_cheshirecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Picture Styles
In reply to Tuckerpup, May 2, 2012

If you are shooting in JPG, stop. Shoot in RAW (with JPG, if you insist). Then apply the style settings in PP using DPP. You will have far more control of the final image and can see the impact doing it this way, before you commit.
--

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tuckerpup
Like?
In reply to The_cheshirecat, May 2, 2012

I've just started shooting in Raw (+JPEG sometimes, as it does offer easier preview capabilities in picture manager - fills up the card quicker, but that can be dealt with). I guess I didn't realize that the style settings wouldn't apply to RAW images. Do you know that for certain?

Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +6 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,325Gear list
Like?
Picture Styles - Quite Amazing

Don't let the raw snub get you down. Canon's picture styles is STUNNING . Not only can you tweak the among the Neutral, Faithful, Standard, Landscape, photo; you can also

STANDARD

CLEAR picture styles

• TWILIGHT:

PORTRAIT

STUDIO

SNAPSHOT

Personally, I download and use Canon's Snapshot for portraits. It has the best balance of skin-tone color I've seen: better than most raw jpeg output, which is often too harsh, too saturated, and over-sharpen.

I've also experiment in creating my own Picture Styles. Here is an animated GIF that I created to show how much a "tweak" picture style can alter your image. This setting is for landscape only, not for people shoot.

• (-4) Contrast is a trick I used to extract more detail from the white sky. Canon's default contrast is too high and over-blown sky into bland white.

Tuckerpup wrote:

I have recently acquired a 60D and am of course playing with the features. The Picture Style menu offers the opportunity to custom tweak settings for the several "Style" settings, something I normally don't mess with. But in this case, while experimenting in monochrome (b&w) I upped the contrast to good effect. This got me to wondering if people on the forum board had suggestions for other "Picture Style" settings for any of the other styles that they've liked. Even if it's a custom setting I'd be curious what ideas are out there and what results hey produce.

Discuss!

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,416
Like?

Check these out.

http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/picturestyle/file/index.html

There are other recipes floating around this forum too, but most people who post on here shoot RAW.

I prefer not to, only because I can tweak a picture for 2 hours and never make up my mind. I set a custom style that matches my personal style.

I let the camera apply it, and my post work is just fine tuning. If blown highlights are probable, or the shot is very important, I use the jpeg+RAW button.

I cannot remember if my 60d had that button or not.

69chevy
Like?
Re: Picture Styles - Quite Amazing
In reply to 007peter, May 2, 2012

Beat me to it.

The_cheshirecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?

No snub intended. I normally shoot RAW, rarely shooting JPG. I do know raw retains what was captured by the sensor and the styles can be applied in PP.

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Tuckerpup
Like?
In reply to 69chevy, May 2, 2012

60D does have Raw+JPEG. The downloadable styles look great. They really need to stop calling these things cameras. "Electronic imaging computer" seems more descriptive.

Thanks for all these - it's exactly what I was looking for and I hope more "recipes" are posted.

Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129
Like?

Tuckerpup wrote:

I've just started shooting in Raw (+JPEG sometimes, as it does offer easier preview capabilities in picture manager - fills up the card quicker, but that can be dealt with). I guess I didn't realize that the style settings wouldn't apply to RAW images. Do you know that for certain?

Given that you've shot raw + jpeg take the raws into DPP and play around with the picture styles to see what works best,you will learn a lot very quickly.

frogcement
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?

Here is a link to my google docs page, this zip file contains 154 different picture files. Forgot to mention, when the page opens , click File--> Download

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1mCeS0x9_YGWfE2V_99e2uWuiYmQhJPOllF-ZI4kaoxhNsxyT9wgzd2cPsc4Q

-- hide signature --

k.c.

frogcement's gear list:frogcement's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM
007peter
Like?
awesome link, book mark for future reference
In reply to frogcement, May 2, 2012

frogcement wrote:

Here is a link to my google docs page, this zip file contains 154 different picture files. Forgot to mention, when the page opens , click File--> Download

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1mCeS0x9_YGWfE2V_99e2uWuiYmQhJPOllF-ZI4kaoxhNsxyT9wgzd2cPsc4Q

Thank You for sharing. That is freaking awesome. I noticed someone already re-created the vilvia film. The Olympus Blue looks interesting, since canon has a very weak blue output from its JPEG engine

007peter
Like?
Picture Styles = TASTE ENGINE - not a Raw-vs-Jpeg format war
In reply to The_cheshirecat, May 2, 2012

The_cheshirecat wrote:

No snub intended. I normally shoot RAW, rarely shooting JPG. I do know raw retains what was captured by the sensor and the styles can be applied in PP.

I don't meant to turn this discussion into yet another useless Raw-vs-Jpeg format war. That is not the intention here. Picture Style = a TASTE ENGINE - nothing less, nothing more:

• I prefer [Snapshot] taste to [Portrait] taste when photographing people

• I prefer [Studio] on very light-skin-Caucasian to capture their subtle skin-tone

• I create my own [Asian] skin tone with a hint of pink glow for healthier look

• I create my own [PaleCausian] adding a hiny of yellow glow for healthier look

• I create my own [Outdoor] for dramatic blue sky when I don't want to raw-edit my landscape

For me Raw is way better for landscape . When I make a trip to exotic location, I shoot RAW because I may not go back to the same location again. Raw buys me 1 extra stop of dynamic range to work with, and landscape photo always required heavy post-processing to extract maximum sharpness and color.

However, JPEG is better for Sport and Portrait photography when rapid succession of shots is often required to capture the best facial expression. I follow the playboy method of model photography ( saw this on a tv special ) take as many photo as possible and select the best (1/500 shots). I do just 1/10 shots, works for me

Keep in mind that ultra-sharpness is often not desirable in portrait photography. Nobody want to see their acne scars, bags under their eyes, crows feet on their photography. Shoot raw, then tweak to extract sharpness is just not the way to go. In fact, I shoot my [snapshot] picture style with -2 sharpness -4 contrast for extra smoother skin tone .

In summary, I'm glad Canon makes a tweak-able picture style JPEG engine. For jpeg/portrait shooter like me, PS is a great time saver. I can select and download an optimized setting for each model shoot. Its one feature that is light-year-away-from-Nikon. If it were not for Picture Styles, I think I would have switch over to Nikon a long time ago.

69chevy
Like?
Re: Picture Styles = TASTE ENGINE - not a Raw-vs-Jpeg format war

RAW vs. jpeg is like any other preference.

People tend to think the way they do things is the right way..

Jpeg is awesome if you are new to photography, and awesome if you are seasoned.

RAW is a great way to adjust photos, but if you know how you want them adjusted before you shoot, jpeg can be more streamlined.

Each has their place, and luckily, cameras can accomodate both.

Boggy4062
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to The_cheshirecat, Jun 29, 2012

The_cheshirecat wrote:

If you are shooting in JPG, stop. Shoot in RAW (with JPG, if you insist). Then apply the style settings in PP using DPP. You will have far more control of the final image and can see the impact doing it this way, before you commit.
--

Well, this only covers the still pictures area, however if one needs to fix movies then style pictures must be (should be) done in the camera itself, since generated video files are not raw.

bluemeanie54
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to 007peter, Dec 4, 2012

I don't see the 60D listed on the download....is there a way around that?

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,104Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tuckerpup, Dec 5, 2012

Tuckerpup wrote:

Correct, the Picture Style is not applied to the raw but to the embedded thumbnail.  However, if you use Canon DPP to process, it will pick up the chosen picture style and use that as the starting point for the conversion.  You can also choose any of the other Picture Styles available prior to conversion.  No other editing program, to my knowledge, takes advantage of Picture Styles like this.

Mark

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,104Gear list
Like?
Sorry, old thread
In reply to Mark B., Dec 5, 2012

Didn't realize the thread was 7 months old, lol.  Looks like someone else resurrected it earlier today thus putting it near the top.

fortwodriver
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
In reply to Tuckerpup, Dec 10, 2012

I shoot entirely in RAW... it's a "bad" (read: HD Filling) habit I acquired back when I used to shoot with a Nikon D100, which had horrible JPEG output.

Anyway, on my 7D I have boosted the saturation and contrast on the Standard profile so the LCD more or less reflects the type of colour and contrast I prefer to see.  Then when I bring the RAW file into the computer I do whatever post-processing I like to get it right to where I want it to be.

It's no big deal with RAW because the profiles are only parameters attached to the raw data.   The image itself isn't actually changed.

If you shoot JPEG, play around with the profiles and get them to where you like them.  Use the LCD (which is quite good) on the 7d and, of course, your computer monitor to adjust to taste.

-- hide signature --

Cheerio...
Frank...

Doven
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Re: Sorry, old thread
In reply to Mark B., Dec 11, 2012

The good thing though Mark is that you gave excellent information to add to this thread so any searchers will benefit.  In other words your information is timeless. Thanks for sharing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads