Time to split the forum...

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
clengman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?
Time to split the forum...
May 2, 2012

I'm tired of having to scan two pages of threads to catch up on the stuff I missed while I was sleeping so two forums please. One with the threads that I find interesting and a second for the stupid dreck that bores me to death.

Have it done by the end of the day please. Thank you.

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
Karl R. Josker
Contributing MemberPosts: 944Gear list
Like?
Re: Time to split the forum...
In reply to clengman, May 2, 2012

Would that be all 4/3 dreck or just Olympus dreck?

Karl R. Josker's gear list:Karl R. Josker's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RickPick
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?

Or perhaps one forum that displays just the content you want - except when you're sleeping of course.

RickPick's gear list:RickPick's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,626Gear list
Like?
lol. Thanks for the chuckle

clengman wrote:

I'm tired of having to scan two pages of threads to catch up on the stuff I missed while I was sleeping so two forums please. One with the threads that I find interesting and a second for the stupid dreck that bores me to death.

Have it done by the end of the day please. Thank you.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,878Gear list
Like?
Re: lol. Thanks for the chuckle
In reply to WT21, May 2, 2012

How do you think the vampires & werewolves feel missing everything during the day. Of course Frankenstein can fill those in. What a great TV ad for Dpreview. Never miss and update or your favorite Forum threads with the help of the Monster Team. Its like SNL's old skit with Frankenstein, Tarzan and Tonto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ubem25WyN8

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
art1sta
Contributing MemberPosts: 669
Like?
No joke , there should be separate forums

The lineup of the 4/3 cameras is now bigger than that of some DSLRs brands

I would suggest a micro 4/3 lens forum and 2 separate forums for the cameras themselves (one for Olympus and another for Panasonic). Its not as if its going to take a lot of work to do this.

It would avoid some interesting threads getting swamped by the release of a new product especially as they are competing with each other.

Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,748Gear list
Like?
Re: No joke....agree!
In reply to art1sta, May 2, 2012

art1sta wrote:

I would suggest a micro 4/3 lens forum and 2 separate forums for the cameras themselves (one for Olympus and another for Panasonic). Its not as if its going to take a lot of work to do this.

I agree it is time. The forum is too big......it is getting crowded and is beginning to feel like "work" getting around.

It would avoid some interesting threads getting swamped by the release of a new product especially as they are competing with each other.

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,894Gear list
Like?
This happens with every new release....Patience...
In reply to art1sta, May 2, 2012

The OMD is a new, very good, highly anticipated camera. It will swamp the forum for the next few weeks, and then things will return to normal. When the G5 and then the GH3 comes out, the exact same thing will happen. The rest of the time it will continues to be a mix of posts about all the M43 gear.

I personally think that a little patience will go a long way to ameliorating the "problem". I look at it as a sign that the format is in good shape, and the more people who come here and post, the better.

Remember, this is a SYSTEM not a BRAND of camera, and there are a LOT of people here who have cameras and lenses from BOTH manufacturers. It would be remarkably inconvenient to have to visit two forums for posts on each manufacturer's products and usage; I would even suggest that it would make those who use mixed systems find it impossible to get good tips and suggestions about their kits as a result.

I think it is a bad idea to separate things...just give it time and things will die down to normal.

-J

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marla, May 2, 2012

it doesn't make sense to have a separate forums for lenses and bodies, you would end up reading both anyway !

I don't think it makes sense to separate by brands either, most of us are using both brands as well and mft is a single system.

However, I agree that we should splitt the forums if things continue the way it is right now, because we get too many posts. May be things will calm down after a while.

Or else split the forum between entry level and advanced cameras. This is the way the other brands forums are split too.

MaGrla wrote:

art1sta wrote:

I agree it is time. The forum is too big......it is getting crowded and is beginning to feel like "work" getting around.

-- hide signature --

Maria

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, May 2, 2012

Yes, if we are going to split it should be GH/OM, G/GX/EP, and MFT lenses.

However I don't think it is worth doing.

rrr_hhh wrote:

it doesn't make sense to have a separate forums for lenses and bodies, you would end up reading both anyway !

I don't think it makes sense to separate by brands either, most of us are using both brands as well and mft is a single system.

However, I agree that we should splitt the forums if things continue the way it is right now, because we get too many posts. May be things will calm down after a while.

Or else split the forum between entry level and advanced cameras. This is the way the other brands forums are split too.

MaGrla wrote:

art1sta wrote:

-- hide signature --

Maria

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

art1sta
Like?
Re: This happens with every new release....Patience...
In reply to jalywol, May 2, 2012

It is a system that uses the same lens and that is why I suggested 1 forum for the lens/equipment that serves both brands and separate forums for the cameras themselves. Sony has a separate forum for the Nex system, Canon and Nikon have separate forums for the DSLR lineup that are much smaller than the micro 4/3 cameras.

Unlike you I dont think it will get better as the format is getting more popular and the intensity of the release of new products will make things even more confusing.

Travis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,177Gear list
Like?
Please keep it the same...

I agree with the guy who says keep it the way it is, mainly because this happens with every major camera release. Or maybe - if it's technically possible - to create a sub-forum for the OMD temporarily until the threads die down a bit.

I'd hate to see the forums split, to be honest.

Travis
---
http://travisimo.smugmug.com/

Travis's gear list:Travis's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +5 more
art1sta
Like?

To me it does. The lens that are common to both brands and even third party lens that are starting to appear should be in a separate forum.

BamaPanda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,127Gear list
Like?
In reply to Karl R. Josker, May 2, 2012

Karl R. Josker wrote:

Would that be all 4/3 dreck or just Olympus dreck?

Would that be all 4/3 dreck or just Panasonic dreck?

Actually ..I love ALL the dreck (whatever that is) ... !

dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
Good for you...

I thought this was going to be another serious post!
--
Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380
Like?

rrr_hhh wrote:

Ditto ! Please don't split by brand, this is a system !! Entry level vs the rest is doable, I'd sorta like that.

MaGrla wrote:

art1sta wrote:

-- hide signature --

Maria

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,189Gear list
Like?
You'ver berern sleeping way too much dude. LOL
In reply to Marla2008, May 2, 2012

No split.

Forum is based on industry standardized MFT lens mount?

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Keep Panny & Oly cameras together but . .

. . . make a separate forum for lenses. It's already been done for Canon and Nikon and would make a lot of sense for m4/3 as well.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Mark Thornton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,617Gear list
Like?

rrr_hhh wrote:

That sort of works where there is a clear separation between the lens grades as well as the bodies. Otherwise you end up discussing the same lenses in several forums. Or perhaps we should have a separate forum for the 14-42 lenses!

Mark Thornton's gear list:Mark Thornton's gear list
Olympus E-500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
clengman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?

You have all missed my point entirely. It will be no help to me whatsoever to split based on anything so arbitrary as camera brand or gear category. I like reading about the GF2 just as much as I like reading about the e-pl1. The only important thing is that the poster has something to say that a) I agree with or b) amuses me because of its stupidity.

No... the only sensible answer is one forum for threads that I want to read and one forum for everything else.

If there's any doubt regarding which of the fora should contain which particular threads, DPR has my permission to contact one of my people. I don't really see why this should be an issue though. I mean, it's obvious to me what I like and don't like. But, just in case, here's a list to get started:

Like: Pictures of cats. They're adorable. The exception is any photo of a cat licking or chewing on any part of it's body. That disgusts me. Can you imagine putting your mouth on a cat? I just threw up a little bit.

Like: Pictures of toddlers... as long as they are not smiling. Your pictures of happy children are not interesting. They just don't reflect the reality of everyday life. Bonus points for photos of children who are or recently were crying. The more snot the better.

Like: Mathematical formulas.

Dislike: Photos that make my photography appear subpar... You know what? All photos should just go in the "other" forum. You never know what might make me jealous.

Dislike: Experienced posters trying to "help" stupid newbs. Teach a newb to fish and he might catch a bigger fish than me. Tell a newb he's no good at fishing and should just buy his fish at the grocery story and they might finally go away and leave me alone.

Now... my patience is wearing thin. I don't think any more discussion is necessary. Do it! On your bike! Chop Chop!

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads