setting the focus box size.

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
acahaya
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?
The easiest way to do this
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 2, 2012

... requires one button to work as Magnify. I've kept the default multi definition of Fn2 but set its default to magnify (keeps the other options available).

The camera starts with the largest AF field size. Press the Magnify button, press Info, use control wheel to resize the AF field, press OK.

Now whenever you need the small AF field, press the Magnify button and it voila the AF field will change to your predefined size.

Moving the smallest sized one with the cursor buttons may take a while now, that's why i actually prefer it to start with the bigger one. Alternatively you can use the touchscreen to quickly change the position.

Sabine
--
http://www.acahaya.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: The easiest way to do this
In reply to acahaya, May 2, 2012

I much prefer my way! You've lost a button...

acahaya wrote:

... requires one button to work as Magnify. I've kept the default multi definition of Fn2 but set its default to magnify (keeps the other options available).

The camera starts with the largest AF field size. Press the Magnify button, press Info, use control wheel to resize the AF field, press OK.

Now whenever you need the small AF field, press the Magnify button and it voila the AF field will change to your predefined size.

Moving the smallest sized one with the cursor buttons may take a while now, that's why i actually prefer it to start with the bigger one. Alternatively you can use the touchscreen to quickly change the position.

Sabine
--

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?

Yes, but your way doesn't work with legacy lenses, because nothing happen when you turn the fous ring. I may have a Myset for legacy lenses, with that setting.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

acahaya wrote:

Sabine
--

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

acahaya
Like?

It's working for me, because i like to be able to use Fn2 for WB and curves tool too, depending on situation. I set the video record button to AEL and use Fn1 for a Bracketing Myset, 99% of rest of my changes can be done via SCP. The button on the kit lens is set to MF.

I'll run out of buttons though if i find myself needing direct access to more MySets (tripod, action/C-AF, my own default, ...), which there was a faster way to choose them.

Problem is that giving up the multi selection for Fn2 means loosing direct access to curves and WB.
Using S-AF+MF and the focus ring is also a good option

The camera could do with some more Fn buttons because we all have different needs regarding configuration, the only question is where to place them. It's crowded enough now.
--

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, May 2, 2012

What I'm trying to do is get the AF more accurate, which is not a problem with legacy lenses

rrr_hhh wrote:

Yes, but your way doesn't work with legacy lenses, because nothing happen when you turn the fous ring. I may have a Myset for legacy lenses, with that setting.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

acahaya wrote:

Sabine
--

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Louis_Dobson
Like?

For me the major issues with the camera are too few buttons (they could replace the stupid mode dial, but people insist on them for some reason - the D3/D4 and D700/D800 don't have them and no-one complains), and the steps needed to set bracketing.

Anyway, at least the focus point issue is sorted. We must try and deal with bracketing tomorrow! There must be a way...

acahaya wrote:

It's working for me, because i like to be able to use Fn2 for WB and curves tool too, depending on situation. I set the video record button to AEL and use Fn1 for a Bracketing Myset, 99% of rest of my changes can be done via SCP. The button on the kit lens is set to MF.

I'll run out of buttons though if i find myself needing direct access to more MySets (tripod, action/C-AF, my own default, ...), which there was a faster way to choose them.

Problem is that giving up the multi selection for Fn2 means loosing direct access to curves and WB.
Using S-AF+MF and the focus ring is also a good option

The camera could do with some more Fn buttons because we all have different needs regarding configuration, the only question is where to place them. It's crowded enough now.
--

Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251Gear list
Like?

No, but for legacy lenses, I need the magnification for checking focus, occasionally, so Fn2 in its Magnify mode works ok for me.

With regards to bracketing/manual focus/c-af/raw optimized/etc. it wouldn't be such an issue if only Olympus had made room for custom modes on the mode dial. Then you could just have your bracketing and drive mode in one custom mode, your manual focus mode in another and keep your A/S/M as your regularly used ones.

The mode dial isn't bad, it's just not utilised the way it could be. P/A/S/M/C1/C2/C3/Video/Art would be great.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

What I'm trying to do is get the AF more accurate, which is not a problem with legacy lenses

rrr_hhh wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

acahaya wrote:

Sabine

rrr_hhh
Like?

On the Pens and probably on the (not yet received) E-M5) I don't use the direct AF arrows (a single click on the left arrow is enough to bring that back), so I get two more programmable buttons. I set the WB on the right and the drive mode on the down arrows, this mimics the Panasonic's arrows and make switching between both easier. I wish that I could also set ISO on the up arrow, but in the end I've got accustomed to call the SCP where it stands right at the beginning (aka upper left corner).

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh
Like?

Well, but I do also need the magnified zoom for precise MF focusing.

But yes, this is a good trick for AF. I have already bookmarked it.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

acahaya wrote:

Sabine
--

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, May 2, 2012

I've put ISO on the video button.

I do feel the tone control feature is something I should be using, and have left it on Fn2, but I dunno, there is so much else!

I need bracketing in the drive mode, the lack of it is a real problem.

rrr_hhh wrote:

On the Pens and probably on the (not yet received) E-M5) I don't use the direct AF arrows (a single click on the left arrow is enough to bring that back), so I get two more programmable buttons. I set the WB on the right and the drive mode on the down arrows, this mimics the Panasonic's arrows and make switching between both easier. I wish that I could also set ISO on the up arrow, but in the end I've got accustomed to call the SCP where it stands right at the beginning (aka upper left corner).

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

acahaya
Like?

Louis,

did you reset Fn2 to the curves tool only or is it still the defult "Multiple" setup, where the curves tool is the first of four options?

It took me a while to find out how to toggle those functions, actually it is very easy. Press the button a bit longer and turn the wheel, then you can choose the function you want to use for now from a list. This allows to switch between tonal control (curves) and magnify with one button press and a turn of the wheel. Once you get used to it, it is really fast plus easy to manage even when looking through the VF.

I wish for a fw update that allows us to setup all Fn buttons to be multiple and to choose 4 different functions to assign for each individual button.
--

Louis_Dobson
Like?

Aha! Thanks! Unfortunately the only thing I want in the multi-function set is tone curves!

acahaya wrote:

Louis,

did you reset Fn2 to the curves tool only or is it still the defult "Multiple" setup, where the curves tool is the first of four options?

It took me a while to find out how to toggle those functions, actually it is very easy. Press the button a bit longer and turn the wheel, then you can choose the function you want to use for now from a list. This allows to switch between tonal control (curves) and magnify with one button press and a turn of the wheel. Once you get used to it, it is really fast plus easy to manage even when looking through the VF.

I wish for a fw update that allows us to setup all Fn buttons to be multiple and to choose 4 different functions to assign for each individual button.
--

cosmoxl
Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?
touch screen

with the touch screen set so that it simply focuses where you touch the screen, you'll get a slider on the right side that will adjust the size of the focus box after you've touched a spot. This is the only time when I can actually see the focus box change size.

when I turn the dials during manual focusing I see the focus assist zoom is changed but it doesn't show the auto focus box as having changed in size.

cosmoxl's gear list:cosmoxl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: touch screen
In reply to cosmoxl, May 2, 2012

As soon as you try and use AF normally though it has reverted. That method is unsable in my view, I just hope the other method is actually working.

Touch screens are a menace.

cosmoxl wrote:

with the touch screen set so that it simply focuses where you touch the screen, you'll get a slider on the right side that will adjust the size of the focus box after you've touched a spot. This is the only time when I can actually see the focus box change size.

when I turn the dials during manual focusing I see the focus assist zoom is changed but it doesn't show the auto focus box as having changed in size.

Cheapskate
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: setting the focus box size.
In reply to Macx, May 2, 2012

I think I found a cool and quick way to do this.

Press and hold the Multi-function button (Fn2) and rotate the rear dial to select the magnify function then press Fn2 once more, you get a persistent green focus box that is about half the size of the normal focus brackets. It seems far more selective than the normal brackets. Furthermore, this box can be moved around live using the direction arrow keys, in fine increments.

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to Cheapskate, May 2, 2012

We need to do some geek testing....

Your small bracket only woks if one has already set the size small - and it knows I have done that when I use my method....

Cheapskate wrote:

I think I found a cool and quick way to do this.

Press and hold the Multi-function button (Fn2) and rotate the rear dial to select the magnify function then press Fn2 once more, you get a persistent green focus box that is about half the size of the normal focus brackets. It seems far more selective than the normal brackets. Furthermore, this box can be moved around live using the direction arrow keys, in fine increments.

UncaMikey
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?

I've been following the OM-D and lurking in this forum for a long time, trying to decide whether to get one myself. In so many ways it seems to be the camera I want.

But... If it's this hard to simply change the size of the focus area (and have it stick through on/off cycles) I have to wonder. And to spend $1,000 on a camera body and not get a full printed manual!

The performance of the camera seems incredible, but the operation seems needlessly daunting. And it comes from the same company that produced the Stylus Epic 35mm, a model of elegant simplicity.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncamikey/

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to UncaMikey, May 2, 2012

I don't think it is something most people want to do. Not mentioned in the DPR review for example. But picking up small details with bright teles is a large part of my style, so I will cheerfully sacrifice the camera's ability to focus in poor light in return for making it only focus on what I want.

Because it is brand, spanking new we don't have the collective experience to be able to say definitively if cutting the zoom area changes the camera's AF behaviour. Same was true of the Pannies, but we know about them now.

In the meantime you have two quick, easy methods.

Turn the control wheel while the camera is zoomed, or use a multifunction button (normally Fn2).

UncaMikey wrote:

I've been following the OM-D and lurking in this forum for a long time, trying to decide whether to get one myself. In so many ways it seems to be the camera I want.

But... If it's this hard to simply change the size of the focus area (and have it stick through on/off cycles) I have to wonder. And to spend $1,000 on a camera body and not get a full printed manual!

The performance of the camera seems incredible, but the operation seems needlessly daunting. And it comes from the same company that produced the Stylus Epic 35mm, a model of elegant simplicity.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncamikey/

texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
In reply to UncaMikey, May 2, 2012

I don't think it's really difficult - it's just that everyone's still trying to figure out the controls. As Louis mentioned, we've already found two pretty simple ways to do this.

I've dialed down the size of my box, and I only need, at most, two clicks and a roll of the dial (using fn2 as multifunction with magnify as the 3rd function - the default setup) to get the smaller box back.

Takes less than 10 seconds, so I'm satisfied.

It's a complex camera with a high level of customisability - if you don't want a complex camera or a high level of customisability, it's probably not right for you.

One additional point - I think the complexity level will drop off quickly once you've got it set up to meet your liking. It's even possible to hide the extended menu entry once the camera is set up, so it's complex at first, especially since it's new to practically everyone who has it, but I don't get the feeling it will remain complex or difficult to operate over the long run.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,894Gear list
Like?

I don't t know if it is the same system as on my EPL1, but for that camera, the focus box size would have to be set each time you wanted to use the smaller size, and it would reset in between shots, if I recall correctly (it's been a while since I had the EPL1). It was one of the things that I found particularly annoying about the Oly interface, and I hope that they changed that in the OMD.

Panasonic leaves the focus point at whatever you set it at, even when you switch settings, lenses, etc. I hoped that Oly would have done this too, since it is so convenient.

-J

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads