VR & VR 2 How to know which it is.

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
Bob GB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,625Gear list
Like?
There are many versions of the Nikon VR system
In reply to bertair, May 2, 2012

Each VR lens has its own unique VR system. The VR lens group will vary in weight and dimension from lens to lens. Therefore the VR system has to be designed particularly for each lens and tuned to work as intended. In addition the functionality varies from lens to lens.

My impression is that Nikon designed the first VR to have 3 shutter speeds slower compensation. When Nikon were able to achieve 4 shutter speeds slower they started to call that VR system for VRII.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/IMG/Images/Micro-Sites/VR/technology/normal/

“Based on this procedure, vibration reduction effects providing the equivalent of a shutter speed of approx. three (with VR) or four (with VRII) stops faster are confirmed.”

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Timefreezer BE
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Re: There are many versions of the Nikon VR system
In reply to Bob GB, May 3, 2012

The VR or VR II label on the lens or if it is in red or gold has nothing to do with the VR version in the lens.

The 70-300 VR has always the second VR version (it was the first lens that received the second VR version).

18-200 VR and 18-200 VR II have both the second VR version (both were introduced after the 70-300 VR which had already VR II). The "II" in the lens name indicates it is the second version of the lens.

E.g. The "AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR": there is no "II" in the name but that lens has VR II.

Rumle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,378Gear list
Like?
Answer here!!!
In reply to bertair, May 3, 2012

Read a few of the replies, and didnt find the right answer, so here it goes...

VR is indicated with VR having RED letters

VR II has GOLD letters

only exception is the 105mm and which has red lettering but does have VRII.

And if the first 18-200 had VRII that's an exception as well, they where the first ones to have VRII.

Rumle's gear list:Rumle's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +18 more
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 16,269
Like?
exceptions
In reply to Rumle, May 3, 2012

Rumle wrote:

VR II has GOLD letters

And if the first 18-200 had VRII that's an exception as well, they where the first ones to have VRII.

That's the problem, dang exceptions It's always A unless B but not always

SergioSpain
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
Re: Answer here!!!
In reply to Rumle, May 3, 2012

Plenty of people had the right answer, not that this is a competition.

Rumle wrote:

VR II has GOLD letters

SergioSpain's gear list:SergioSpain's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +5 more
Timefreezer BE
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to Rumle, May 4, 2012

And the 70-300 VR is also with the red VR label and has also VR II........

Nikon just changed from red to gold because they liked it probably more and VR is not so exotic anymore.

Rumle wrote:

VR II has GOLD letters

Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,570
Like?
That's simply not so...
In reply to xsimplyjosh, May 5, 2012

xsimplyjosh wrote:

VR II is usually gold
and VR I is usually red.

No.

For example, the original 18-200 has a red VR, and the "II" version has a gold VR.
They are both "VRII".

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Patco
Like?
Re: Not always
In reply to Mako2011, May 5, 2012

Mako2011 wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

The nomenclature "VR vs. "VR II" has nothing to do with Vibration Reduction version and only indicates that the lens has VR and in the case of "II" is an updated lens version, overall, from the previous lens.

Not true. Quote from Nikon's description of the lens in question.....

"This lens incorporates Nikon’s second-generation vibration reduction system (VR II) that allows flexible hand-held shooting by stabilizing the image to the equivalent extent of using a shutter speed that is four stops faster when compared with a conventional lens (as determined by Nikon performance test). "

Not always the case though. Even Nikon's own literature gets it wrong. Look at the 18-200 VR and VR II lens. The 18-200 VR lens incorporated second generation VR technology while the VR II version had the same 4 stop VR tech

Red and Gold VR both were version 2 VR. Trying to get a handle on Nikon lens markings is and exercise in futility. The only thing, in this case, that is actually consistent is that any lens with the "VR II" nomenclature is an update of a previous version of the lens and may not be an update in the VR. In the case of the 18-200 it was a addition of zoom lock and not a VR update.

The second version of the lens is designated as the "II" version.
Both the original and the "II" version have "VRII".

A cynic might say Nikon moved the "VR" part of the name to the end before tacking on the "II" to mislead people into thinking the VR has been updated

First version:
"AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED"

Second version:
"AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II"
(Note the space between the VR and the II, which is not the way Nikon
designates the second version of VR, ie. "VRII", with no space)

-- hide signature --

Patco

Patco
Like?
Both versions of the 18-200 have VRII...
In reply to RBFresno, May 5, 2012

RBFresno wrote:

For slower lenses, VR is often more important, and having a "better" VR can make a difference. E.g.:

18-200VR (there are VR I and VR II versions)

That's not correct - both the first version, and the "II" version of the 18-200 have "VRII".

The original version:
AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED
"Enhanced Vibration Reduction (VRII) offers the equivalent of using a shutter
speed 4 stops faster"

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoom/normalzoom/af-s_dx_vr_zoom18-200mmf_35-56g_if/index.htm

The "II" version:
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II
"Built-in Vibration Reduction (VR II)"

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoom/normalzoom/af-s_dx_18-200mmf_35-56g_ed_vr2/index.htm

-- hide signature --

Patco

Arree
Senior MemberPosts: 1,485Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rumle, May 5, 2012

Almost good, I had a 18-200mmVR in red, but let's be honest about this.

Nikon should be more clear about this and put VR in red, and VRII in gold same with the cameranames there is no logic in it....
Why not give al amature camera's the Dxxxx name
Pro DX a Dxxx name and FX an Fxxx, FXxxx or Dx,Fx ???????
That makes sense for rest of world and not only for Nikon !!

Rumle wrote:

VR II has GOLD letters

-- hide signature --
 Arree's gear list:Arree's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
westcoasthd
Regular MemberPosts: 474
Like?
In reply to Arree, May 5, 2012

There are just too many exceptions to try and come up with a general rule. The more important question I would think is to ask how VR works on different lenses. It is not correct to assume that all VR I modules work the same on all lenses that have that module and that all VR II work the same across all lenses, when in fact they do not. Some show more stabilization in the view finder, some are quiet, some are loud. Some will give you more equivalent stops just based on how easy it is to hand hold a particular lens. It's better to ask for a specific lens, which is the best version to purchase for the cost.

Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 16,269
Like?
Well said
In reply to westcoasthd, May 5, 2012

westcoasthd wrote:

There are just too many exceptions to try and come up with a general rule. The more important question I would think is to ask how VR works on different lenses. It is not correct to assume that all VR I modules work the same on all lenses that have that module and that all VR II work the same across all lenses, when in fact they do not. Some show more stabilization in the view finder, some are quiet, some are loud. Some will give you more equivalent stops just based on how easy it is to hand hold a particular lens. It's better to ask for a specific lens, which is the best version to purchase for the cost.

I would have to completely agree.

Ilkka Nissilä
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,107
Like?
Re: VR & VR 2 How to know which it is.
In reply to bertair, May 5, 2012

All the VR 70-300's have VR II. The distinction between the two VR systems is not marked on the lens in any lens. When a lens is marked "II" or "III" it is the second and third version of that lens, but which version of VR is included you have to go to the manual or Nikon specs to find out.

ComputerDork
Regular MemberPosts: 225
Like?
18-200 Availability?
In reply to Patco, May 8, 2012

Does anyone know when the "Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED DX VR II" will be shipping to the US again?

Rumle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,378Gear list
Like?
In reply to westcoasthd, May 8, 2012

westcoasthd wrote:

yah yah, I see I was wrong. but then everything released after 2006 has vr2

Rumle's gear list:Rumle's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +18 more
io_bg
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rumle, May 8, 2012

I think VR II lenses have an Active/Normal VR switch while VR I lenses don't (for example 18-105mm). I'm not 100% sure if that's correct though.

io_bg's gear list:io_bg's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX
digitalphotographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
Can't tell via EXIF either!
In reply to bertair, Sep 5, 2012

Long time ago I had the 18-200mm VR 1, until some point a couple of years ago, sold the original and upgraded to VR2.

But looking at the EXIF data, I can't tell which them apart! I had assumed for the longest time EXIF data would show a distinction, but Lightroom, View NX and Capture NX are reporting all of them as "VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G"!

How is it possible? Is there a way to tell?

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX1R Nikon Df Nikon D750
Patco
Like?
Re: Can't tell via EXIF either!
In reply to digitalphotographer, Sep 5, 2012

digitalphotographer wrote:

Long time ago I had the 18-200mm VR 1, until some point a couple of years ago, sold the original and upgraded to VR2.

Hope you didn't upgrade just for the VR - both the original 18-200 and the "II" version have VRII.

But looking at the EXIF data, I can't tell which them apart! I had assumed for the longest time EXIF data would show a distinction, but Lightroom, View NX and Capture NX are reporting all of them as "VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G"!

How is it possible? Is there a way to tell?

Sure - just read Nikon's specs posted on their site - there is no need for the EXIF info to indicate which VR version, as they are both the same:

Original version:
"AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED"
"Enhanced Vibration Reduction (VRII) offers the equivalent of using a shutter
speed 4 stops faster"

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoom/normalzoom/af-s_dx_vr_zoom18-200mmf_35-56g_if/index.htm

Second version:
"AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II"
"Built-in Vibration Reduction (VR II)"

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoom/normalzoom/af-s_dx_18-200mmf_35-56g_ed_vr2/index.htm

A cynic might say Nikon moved the "VR" part of the name to the end before tacking on the "II" to mislead people into thinking the VR has been updated

-- hide signature --

Patco

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,768Gear list
Like?
In reply to bertair, Sep 5, 2012

As already mentioned there is only 1 VR version of this lens.
Another Nikon web site confirming the VR is the II version is

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoom/telephotozoom/af-s_vr_zoom70-300mmf_45-56g_if/index.htm
--
Leonard Shepherd

Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Nitin Ule
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Nov 18, 2013
 Nitin Ule's gear list:Nitin Ule's gear list
Nikon D90
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads