Engagement Pictures D800 + 85f1.4G Heavy Edit

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
bmcdad
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
Engagement Pictures D800 + 85f1.4G Heavy Edit
May 2, 2012

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
Re: Engagement Pictures D800 + 85f1.4G Heavy Edit
In reply to bmcdad, May 2, 2012

Nice work! I like the fourth best, though I'd likely clone out the stick (or whatever it is) behind her left foot.

Overall the look is interesting and I think it may be even more so without the orange effects.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Varuas
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?

Okay, white balance is off, there are numerous rule of the third violations, I see blown highlights and crushed blacks.

Seriously, the editing has given really vintage, classic faded film look. Just the smoothness of the shots is pleasing to the eyes. I see at least one brenizer method shot. Thanks for posting.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
benjaminblack
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?

These are fun and fresh. As photographers we've seen work like this before, some of us are even tired of it, but from the client's perspective the images will seem novel. The problem is, after you run with this style for a few months, interest on social media will decline, not because the shots are bad, but because your following will grow accustom to the style. So if your clients (and potential clients) have a very positive reaction to the style just ride it out as long as you can.

Personally, I love the images. But I have one very real criticism, the first shot is a bit of a crotch shot. But overall, when I see images like this I think young, fresh, hip, marketable.

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?
High quality hipstamatic ;) n/t
-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D800, EOS 450D
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
bmcdad
Like?
Re: High quality hipstamatic ;) n/t
In reply to Dominique Dierick, May 2, 2012

I wish..
would have made the process much less time consuming,.. but good try!

Dominique Dierick wrote:

-- hide signature --

davesee
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
In reply to Varuas, May 2, 2012

"Rule of Third Violation".

That was a pretty good one. Like it would result in a suspension or something. "No camera for one week- AND YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE.". Haha.

davesee
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?

Very nice work, for sure. This look is so in style right now that I'm sure they loved the shots. They'd stand up just fine without the editing.

Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?
Re: High quality hipstamatic ;) n/t

Strange that there is no post process hipstamatic soft available for DSLR. Perhaps it exists somewhere, but I haven't seen one yet.

-- hide signature --

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
u007
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678
Like?

Honestly, that processing is awful.

The orange "light leak" looks ridiculous, especially as it's the same on every image. It just means that you applied some preset without much thought. Then the rest of the image outside the light leak area has heavy green cast. If the couple like it, great, but if I was having engagement pictures I wouldn't be thrilled with green skin. I'd rather just have normal, bright and happy photos of my engagement, not this "creative" stuff which will look stupid in a few years when the hipster phase wears off. The third photo is particularly bad, where she is orange and he is green.

The pictures themselves are fine, but you've wrecked them with the post processing. IMO of course.

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

bmcdad
Like?
In reply to u007, May 2, 2012

Thanks for the Feedback..

This was experimental so chill nothing was wrecked I have the RAW files in a safe somewhere so I wouldn't worry about that.. We are all here to learn so take it easy and be nice.. You can still teach someone a thing or two and get your message across without being so rude.. I never claimed these to be art pieces or creative. I simply posted some images and you are having a heart attack in front of your screen trying to think of the next mean thing to say.. If my work is awful it can be fixed. At least I'm not.

u007 wrote:

The orange "light leak" looks ridiculous, especially as it's the same on every image. It just means that you applied some preset without much thought. Then the rest of the image outside the light leak area has heavy green cast. If the couple like it, great, but if I was having engagement pictures I wouldn't be thrilled with green skin. I'd rather just have normal, bright and happy photos of my engagement, not this "creative" stuff which will look stupid in a few years when the hipster phase wears off. The third photo is particularly bad, where she is orange and he is green.

The pictures themselves are fine, but you've wrecked them with the post processing. IMO of course.

-- hide signature --

BobYIL
Contributing MemberPosts: 888
Like?

Bill, this being another time I comment on your engagement pictures after you received the D800.

I liked these as much as I liked the previous ones. Here, I loved the use of toning to give them a classical, vintage look; fitting nicely to the traditional and religious preferences of the couple. I appreciated your intention to "add" something to these shots to accentuate the emotions and affection shared by the couple despite their conservative appearance. A well-done series and my congratulations for understanding as well as rendering different cultures masterfully.

Regards,

Bob
--
BobYIL

u007
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678
Like?

bmcdad wrote:
Thanks for the Feedback..

This was experimental so chill nothing was wrecked I have the RAW files in a safe somewhere so I wouldn't worry about that.. We are all here to learn so take it easy and be nice.. You can still teach someone a thing or two and get your message across without being so rude.. I never claimed these to be art pieces or creative. I simply posted some images and you are having a heart attack in front of your screen trying to think of the next mean thing to say.. If my work is awful it can be fixed. At least I'm not.

u007 wrote:

-- hide signature --

lol, no I wasn't being mean - I just didn't feel like I needed to sugar coat about how bad that processing is. I said two times that it is the processing that is terrible but the images themselves are fine. And yup, comments, criticism etc is how we all learn.

-- hide signature --

Georgino
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?

To be honest, I love the processing, especial I love the rings shot #6

As with any processing you will have people who will love it, who will hate it or just think it is just OK
Most important is that the couple will love it.

I am tired of regular shots sometimes and I love to see different look. You nailed the vintage look just perfectly
Thanks for sharing

-- hide signature --
 Georgino's gear list:Georgino's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
illy586
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?

Looks like Instagram wedding photos to me.

SanMat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,777
Like?

Hi quality as usual.

I like all of these conceptually (i.e., framing). Each gives a different interpretation of the couple, and what they're about. Regarding the post-processing - as you state right in the subject line, these are heavy edits. The only time it looks to too heavy to me is where you have some competing orange/green tones that may throw off the skin tones a bit too much.

Of course, that's the beauty of shooting RAW - final versions are never "final". Unless you delete the RAW files, the couple can always get versions with a more "classic" look, whatever that means.

Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Vinicios
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

Lol mate,

the pictures are lovely, with a very interesting feel on it and very well taken.

you are making yourself sounds ridiculous, unhappy and stupid with such ridiculous comments.

if you don't like it, at least make some construtive criticism what would be better, some good ideas and so on... "stupid, awful" etc words don't add anything at all.

besides, who are you to say that is write or wrong? the couple and photograher like it, who cares? it is not world press competition...
take care and enjoy life.

u007 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Vinicios
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

very nice work mate, i love the feeling in the pictures.

may I ask what "magic" have you applied to get that feeling?Also, did you use lens baby on pic 4 or wast is done on photoshop?

Thanks
V

sssesq
Contributing MemberPosts: 858Gear list
Like?
In reply to SanMat, May 2, 2012

Fads and fanciful image processing comes and goes. Best stick with 'Standard' (whatever that is) processing and get really good at it because that will stand the test of time. In 10 (or fewer) years the clients you shoot that way will be telling their friends and relatives about what a good photographer you are and they will hire you for their wedding.

Personal opinion from an oldster...

sssesq's gear list:sssesq's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
bmcdad
Like?
In reply to Vinicios, May 2, 2012

You must know the rules before you try and break them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads