My First Camera: D90 or D7000

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
ninojean
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
My First Camera: D90 or D7000
May 2, 2012

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and basically new to photography.
Looking to purchase my first DSLR camera, either the D90 or the D7000.
Also looking for advice on lenses.

My main focus is to take photos of cars, and maybe some other objects here and there.

Thanks your suggestions/advice would be helpful.

Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unkleboo
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: My First Camera: D90 or D7000
In reply to ninojean, May 2, 2012

If money is not an object get the d7000
better at hi ISO, better video specs, newer generation sensor
very capable image maker, as is the d90 but the d7000 is mo bettah!
--
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any
pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,947
Like?

ninojean wrote:

Hi,

My main focus is to take photos of cars, and maybe some other objects here and there.

No disrespect but how new to photography? If your experience is a bit of snapshot point and shoot only, then a DSLR can be a frustrating step. The D90/D7000 are full featured DSLR's and it takes a bit of work/understanding to get the full capability from each. That said, if your dedicated to making that jump and putting work into it...then get the D7000 as it will provide a solid 3-5 years with little compromise. Add the Thom Hogan guide and Jeff Revells book "From Snapshots to Great Shots" and you will be on your way. Start with the kit lens 18-105mm and a single 35mm f1.8G and you have all you need to keep you busy for the next 5 years. You could substitute the D90 but it's soon to be three generations old so I'm thinking in terms of relevance 4 years from now vs price. Both bodies will require the same amount of work on your part and both are full featured. What comes out of either has way more to do with you than the camera. Good Luck.

ninojean
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Mako2011, May 2, 2012

Mako2011 wrote:

ninojean wrote:

Hi,

No disrespect but how new to photography? If your experience is a bit of snapshot point and shoot only, then a DSLR can be a frustrating step. The D90/D7000 are full featured DSLR's and it takes a bit of work/understanding to get the full capability from each. That said, if your dedicated to making that jump and putting work into it...then get the D7000 as it will provide a solid 3-5 years with little compromise. Add the Thom Hogan guide and Jeff Revells book "From Snapshots to Great Shots" and you will be on your way. Start with the kit lens 18-105mm and a single 35mm f1.8G and you have all you need to keep you busy for the next 5 years. You could substitute the D90 but it's soon to be three generations old so I'm thinking in terms of relevance 4 years from now vs price. Both bodies will require the same amount of work on your part and both are full featured. What comes out of either has way more to do with you than the camera. Good Luck.

thanks for the advice mako, im fairly new.. mostly just point and shoot cameras. Just want to take it up as a hobby. totally understand it will take time and practise to get use to the camera and get some very nice shots. I've played around with my mates camera, its Canon 600D i think ... and straight away i just knew i wanted a DSLR.

Im currently shopping around for D7000.... but if money gets tight i think ill just be getting a D90.

Thanks again

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,947
Like?

ninojean wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

ninojean wrote:

Hi,

thanks for the advice mako, im fairly new.. mostly just point and shoot cameras. Just want to take it up as a hobby. totally understand it will take time and practise to get use to the camera and get some very nice shots. I've played around with my mates camera, its Canon 600D i think ... and straight away i just knew i wanted a DSLR.

Im currently shopping around for D7000.... but if money gets tight i think ill just be getting a D90.

Thanks again

If that's the case, and your dedicated to eventually producing great photographs, then I stand by my recommendation. A D7000, add the Thom Hogan guide and Jeff Revells book "From Snapshots to Great Shots". Nikon 18-105mm and a single 35mm f1.8G. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Much help can be had here...some BS too but that's the price of admission.

granitespider
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?
In reply to ninojean, May 3, 2012

I can only give you a perspective from a D90 owner. I bought a refurbed body along with a 50mm 1.8 lens when I switched from Olympus. I would think that lens would work well for you regarding your main subject focus and it's very well priced. The D90 has a lot of features but I find the camera body basically is rather intuitive for use. It should really serve you well as it's quite capable of producing great images when a good lens is put with it. That being said you should be prepared to learn about post processing of your photos as well. I might suggest that Photoshop Elements would be a great entry point in terms of price without sacrificing too many features of the higher priced Photoshop packages.

JCS
JCS
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?

No disrespect to the D7000, but as a former owner of both cameras, I'd say that a beginner is probably going to have a much higher percentage of keepers with a D90 than with a D7000. The D7000 is capable of beautiful images in more experienced hands, no doubt, but you'll work for it in a way you wouldn't have to with the D90.

dom33
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
In reply to JCS, May 3, 2012

Why do you say:

"..probably going to have a much higher percentage of keepers with a D90 than with a D7000"
??

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,428
Like?
In reply to JCS, May 3, 2012

JCS wrote:

No disrespect to the D7000, but as a former owner of both cameras, I'd say that a beginner is probably going to have a much higher percentage of keepers with a D90 than with a D7000. The D7000 is capable of beautiful images in more experienced hands, no doubt, but you'll work for it in a way you wouldn't have to with the D90.

Yes, but with practice a beginner doesn't keep that designation for long.
--
Herby

Navmark77
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?

Both good choices. Better to get a camera you can grow into rather than one that you will grow out of.

I have a D90. The only reason I don't have a D7000 is that the incremental benefits of upgrading were not worth the money to me.

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to Navmark77, May 3, 2012

Either it doesn't matter much but just make sure you get one that can actually autofocus accurately!

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 7,993Gear list
Like?

D7000 and the 18-105 or better yet the 16-85 if the budget allows. Keep it on P mode and it's a giant point and shoot with a razor sharp picture. It is better in every way than the D90, price excluded. Shoot raw and convert the keepers to jpg with the included ViewNX2, it works great and takes no time at all. Do not shoot jpg, the results are not nearly as good.
And avoid the focus threads like the plague they are.

brokensocialscenester
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, May 3, 2012

Disclaimer: we own the D3000,D3100, and a pair of D700s. Between the 90 and the 7000, we'd suggest the D90. The primary advantages of the 7k over it in our books are very slight noise improvements (.2 per DxOMark), manual lens metering, and AF fine tuning. If you really want these bonuses, we'd recommend going big and moving to full frame. If not, we'd stick with the D90. The actual differences between the cameras don't justify the price differences in our opinion.
--
dekalb wedding photography
chicago wedding photographer
http://mikeandfrida.blogspot.com

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, May 3, 2012

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

And avoid the focus threads like the plague they are.

I think it's something worth looking out for.

We can call it user error or simply bad QC but they're not just threads, but real issues.
Not saying don't buy a camera, but check it out very well esp the AF

Reilly Diefenbach
Like?
In reply to brokensocialscenester, May 3, 2012

The fine grained quality of the D7000's noise makes more like a two stop advantage over the D90 in actual use with any good noise reduction program. As well, the cropping ability of the 7000 is a good bit better, which is huge for birds and critters. The two user presets are worth the price of admission on their own. To the OP: those who own the D90 will defend it to the death, but the D7000 is better. At low ISO it is slightly better than the D700, which is saying a lot.

baloo_buc
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,569Gear list
Like?
In reply to dom33, May 3, 2012
 baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +9 more
RobS555
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?

I owned (and loved) the D90 for several years and upgraded to the D7000. If you're new to DSLRs, I highly recommend the D90. It's easy to take beautiful pictures with it, and at the same time gives you all the flexibility and learning opportunity of a mid-level DSLR. In my opinion, from an image/capability standpoint it's really a pro camera (durability, sensor size are mitigating factors). The D7000 is a great camera, but it is very finicky, and requires more effort to consistently take great photos. It's easy to become frustrated if your understanding, skill, and work-flow aren't up to what it requires of you. In addition, it asks more of the lens (more pixels is harder on mid-level lenses).

Reilly Diefenbach
Like?
In reply to RobS555, May 3, 2012

I don't get the whole learning curve thing at all. The D7000 has a P mode which works extremely well, way way better than any point and shoot. It also has a histo display which will keep even the rawest novice out of trouble if only they keep an eye on it. Ray recommends a default of .5 exposure compensation, which is good practice. The D7000 along with every other camera and certainly every known point and shoot will tend to blow bright sky. That's what the brain behind the camera is there for. When the histo climbs the wall, you crank down the compensation a half a stop or so and get your sky back. When converting to jpg in ViewNX, simply slide in a bit of shadow protection and you're home free with huge dynamic range and sanitary darks that put most other cameras to shame. As far as lens requirements, that has been way oversold. Certainly the 18-105 is up to the task. The 50G and D and 35G are sick sharp and practically free. Keep your shutter speed up to 1.5 times the focal length and things will be plenty sharp.

The OP will no doubt find his way in due course to the many other goodies the D90 or the D7000 have in store, but it ain't rocket science.

dom33
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
In reply to baloo_buc, May 4, 2012

baloo_buc wrote:

Because of the new AF system and high MP count.
--
Victor

how does new improved AF system and higher MP count decrease the percentage of keepers for a beginner?

lnguyenh
Contributing MemberPosts: 685
Like?
In reply to dom33, May 4, 2012

Imo, it is just a matter of budget. Of course the d7000 is better than the d90.

But both cameras are good enough for a beginner.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads