OM-D buyer's remorse

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: I wouldn't say that... but still love it.
In reply to Paul De Bra, May 2, 2012

But you bought it, right? It's a bit of an oxymoron to say it's not worth the price tag, but you bought it, anyway.

From an economics standpoint, in which a rational actor won't pay more for a particular good than the actor thinks the good is worth, you did the math and decided the E-M5 was worth the price - otherwise, you wouldn't have bought it (or else you would have returned it).

It's worth every penny to me (and I bought one on Saturday - my words match my actions).

Paul De Bra wrote:

I don't think the E-M5 is worth the price tag (especially in Europe) but there is simply no other option if you want the properties of the E-M5 is a package of that size.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: Overpriced indeed
In reply to eivissa1, May 2, 2012

eivissa1 wrote:

The Panny GX1 delivers more or less the same photo quality for 600 euros! That is half the price of the OMD in my countr!!.

Then buy one - sounds like the E-M5 is out of your price range at the moment.

Of course without the gadgets that the Olly offers. But who needs them, if you are only interested in making photos.....?

If you don't need them, they're not of value to you. They are of value to plenty of other photographers.

The silly design of the Olly completes my picture.

I like the retro design - I think it looks great, and I'm happy with the ergonomics. Obviously, this is not the camera you were looking for. Fortunately, there are a number of good cameras on the market to choose from. Good luck finding the right one for you.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,149Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D buyer's remorse
In reply to Len_Gee, May 2, 2012

I got the silver one without problems here in Germany (no preorder), and all I can say it is a very nice camera, gradually replacing my GH2 in use.

I mostly like the display of blown highlights and blocked shadows in the EVF, which I use regularly to adjust exposure. The enhanced performance and buffer size is a big advantage over the GH2. And of course IBIS with non stabilized primes.

I don't care, who makes the sensor but high ISO output is cleaner and better than the result of a GH2, also in RAW. So, I see a noticeable, albeit subtle IQ improvement over the GH2.

The EVF, though smaller, is better than GH2 EVF. With the display of highlights and shadows, I revise my previous opinion that exact exposure control is not that valuable. The EM-5 strong point is that you now have a finder, which allows you exposure control very well plus a haptically excellent control wheel for it. The GH2's thumb wheel is haptically a lot! worse. Exposure control with the EM-5 is simply a joy.

Also, I like the modularity of the additional grip. I like the grip separated from the battery compartment, so that the camera can keep the small form factor.

A small things: finally a camera with a secure SD card door, and a good battery door. Both elements opened too often unintentionally with the GH2.

But ...

The nice looking of the camera comes at its price: the camera does not feel as comfortable in the hands as I would like to see and as it would be possible with Olympus not so dogmatically applying retro design. The same is the case with the grip, it isn't build for a normal hand, although handling is much better than without it.

I am not so impressed with the world's fastest AF. I don't see a lot of improvement over the GH2, the camera hunts in low light more than I expected from Olympus loud advertisement and all the "reviews". The AF is quick, no doubt, but no new landmark.

My biggest disappointment the continuous shooting, where AF tracking simply is a joke. Track is too often lost, so to me it is barely usable. That there is no focus indicator, when being in continuous shooting mode, is not practical either. All in all, the camera is only average for action,

In my opinion, the configuration of the camera is not enough intelligent. There are option, which belong nicely together like self timer and shutter delay, but you have to always remember to dial them in separately at very different places. I know that there are presets for this but four are not enough. I have the standard preset, one with spot metering, one for tripod work, and a last one for bracketing. No one left for action shooting with different preferences. Worst of all, it is far to complicated to engage one of the presets: 7 button clicks! vs. a quick change of dial position at the GH2. The presets should be includes in the SCP and in the lv panel. Also bracketing mode isn't quickly accessible: depending how you count them, they are also at least seven clicks vs. change of a switch position of the GH2.

Additionally the GH2 has a few intelligent button configuration options: i.e. you can configure a button so that the next shot will be done with spot metering returning the camera to the standard metering after the shot. This is how instant spot metering should work. With the EM-5 you can invoke AE-L work with spot metering, but you don't know where the spot is. Also, I know you can assign a button to a preset, but this only active as long you press the button, why not on/off switch mode here? Last, the multifunction buttons have, well, no function, which is of interest for me, another missed opportunity. I have no idea, why Olympus restricts the configurability of all the buttons with so many different restrictions. Why not having all the same restrictions or possibilities?

Finally, I regret that the LCD is not fully tiltable. Doing portrait orientation from a tripod with a GH2 is a joy in comparison.

To me, the EM-5 has a lot of benefits to enjoy this camera (That's why I bought it), but the traditional photographic company could have done a lot of things much better. The GH2 is with regard to handling (I can't really understand dpreview's judgement that the camera feels good in hand, and my hads aren't big) and "photographic intelligence" the better, more straightforward camera (more dedicated controls), but it lacks performance, a good control over exposure, and IBIS, so that I prefer the EM-5 in usage at the moment.

Of course then there is also the look of the camera.

Given all the stuff, which did not work so well, many of which aren't due to technical obstacles but due to the lack of practioners amongst the product designers, I am even on the edge saying that the Gold Award overrates the camera. The same goes for the NEX-7 though, who's EVF is totally overhyped due to its flicker and moiree and the menu driven character of the handling is even worse.

If somebody say, that I am just niggling, well that niggles are the things, which makes the difference between good and excellent cameras. Between enjoying and fighting with the interface.

All in all, the EM-5 is currently the best mirrorless, and no returner. It's configuration system seems to be designed by technocrats rather than engineers with photographic experience. The camera has a nice and lovely shape with a rough interior.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Very pleased with mine.

There will be people with buyer's remorse though.

If this camera were a person it would be a hugely successful fat-cat lawyer with purple hair who rides to work on a unicycle and spends all his time and money on charities to support homeless veterans and promote bull fighting as a sport.

If you are the sort of person who is always looking for something new and better, you will absolutely love this camera and want to have its children. If you are a picky, judgemental person you will find loads to hate and it will be returned the same day.

Me, I mostly love it, but some things about it grate. I think the more I use it, the more I am going to like it - I'll find ways around or get used to the things that bug me, and I'll learn to take best advantage of the many positive bits.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to Andr2, May 2, 2012

He never had the camera. Apart from anything else he claimed to had it a week when he wrote the (UK) review, which is vanishingly unlikely, there were only about 20 in customer hands, and they were in the hands of people who had gone to a lot of trouble and almost certainly pulled strings to get an early sample of a camera they badly wanted, not someone vaguely trying it out against his 7D to see if he liked it.

There are at least five other giveaways he's never even switched one on, but that will do for now.

Andr2 wrote:

Jun2 wrote:

No. Most people who bought will justify that OM-D is worth every penny.

Except for that one Guy on Amazon

André

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: I wouldn't say that... but still love it.
In reply to Paul De Bra, May 2, 2012

Makes no sense to me. The value of something is what someone will pay for it. Olympus are struggling to fill demand, so it is currently under priced, simple as that.

Me, I can't see any way of getting this sort of performance out of a small camera at any price, so there is no way of doing a comparison with anything similar, because nothing similar exists.

Paul De Bra wrote:

The E-M5 is overpriced, but so is the high-end model of every camera range of every brand. We live in a free economy: vendors will ask whatever they think they can get for any product. They always want to maximize profit.

I don't think the E-M5 is worth the price tag (especially in Europe) but there is simply no other option if you want the properties of the E-M5 is a package of that size.
It's all a matter of supply and demand.

Similarly the price of gas is ridiculous and is not worth every penny but what can you do when you want or need to drive...

Jun2 wrote:

No. Most people who bought will justify that OM-D is worth every penny.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to dlinney, May 2, 2012

How DO you change the focus point size? I can't find it in manual or menus (reading the manual on a tiny netbook, which does not help!).

dlinney wrote:

Went through the full cycle:

• Ordered silver kit day 1

• Cancelled after initial reviews - poor kit lens, ergonomics etc.

• Ordered black body on Monday (last day of UK free grip offer) from WEX and it was delivered late Tuesday.

I love this camera:

At last, a 4/3rds / micro-4/3rds camera I can use at 1600 or 3200ISO if I need to.
Image Stabilisation that works great with my old Olympus 90mm f2 Macro lens.
Looks great.
An EVF I actually like.

Niggles? Yes: please, please Olympus engineers sort out the ludicrous menu structure and absurd way of changing the AF area size (look at Panasonic for how to do it right).

If I didn't have access to the DPR review and various forum comments I would have no idea at all about some of the features / functions. The manual is a masterpiece of lots of data and little information.

krishtr
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?
Re: Very pleased with mine.
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 2, 2012

So will you be getting the D800(e) after all? I'm guessing EM5 will replace the GH2, but what about the Nikon? Looking forward to seeing the pictures you make from the EM5.

As always, love your humorous statements!
--
Krishnan
E510, 11-22, 50mm, 14-42, 40-150
EP2, VF2, 14-42, 45/1.8, 20/1.7
Pre-ordered EM-5
Considering PL 25/1.4

snapper1967
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?
Sold mine yesterday for $100 more than I paid 2 weeks ago.

Nice little camera. But that's my problem. Just too small for me. Solid but still feels like a toy. Had to keep the grip on it to make it feel right in my hands. Hate the tiny buttons on the back.

It's all good.

Going to buy the Nikon D800 and a couple of nice primes.

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

dlinney
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?

Ensure one button is designated as "Magnify" (I use the record button). Then you can press Info to get to the AF screen and then press Magnify and you can use one of the 4-way controller buttons (I think its "Down") to change the size of the box. It stays that way until a power off. You have to resize it next time you start up.

Or anyway, I don't have the camera in front of me but I think the above is about right.

It seems complicated and unwieldy but once you know what's what it is manageable. BUT why doesn't it stay set???????? Olympus: PLEASE LISTEN and Please document this more clearly.

-- hide signature --

Derek

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to dlinney, May 2, 2012

Blimey that's no use! I'll have to find a better way than that

Does it stay in myset?

dlinney wrote:

Ensure one button is designated as "Magnify" (I use the record button). Then you can press Info to get to the AF screen and then press Magnify and you can use one of the 4-way controller buttons (I think its "Down") to change the size of the box. It stays that way until a power off. You have to resize it next time you start up.

Or anyway, I don't have the camera in front of me but I think the above is about right.

It seems complicated and unwieldy but once you know what's what it is manageable. BUT why doesn't it stay set???????? Olympus: PLEASE LISTEN and Please document this more clearly.

-- hide signature --

Derek

Sylvain G
Regular MemberPosts: 404Gear list
Like?
In reply to eyeamgage, May 2, 2012

None of his questions are incompatible with the review outcome. The gold award doesn't mean that every specific expectations will be met.

eyeamgage wrote:

Just like the others asked, did you actually read the review? It basically said the OM-D is the best, most capable m4/3 camera to date and won its prestigious Gold Award.

Regarding the sensor, every single test that has been done shows that even if its at its heart the same sensor as the G3, its been upgraded/optimized/changed whatever you want to call it to be better in every way. I still think its a completely different and new sensor and is exceptional in almost every way for its size....As a D7000 owner, it matches the output and IQ of that 16 mp APC-C size sensor in almost every way except long exposure noise.

The ONLY thing on the NEX-7 that I think beats the OM-D is focus peaking, but the IBIS, lens selection, in camera JPEG rendering and overall usability and fun-factor are unmatched.

I've had the camera for almost a week now and I could not be happier with my new investment. The camera is simply outstanding.

-- hide signature --

my 'review' of the Olympus PEN E-P1 - http://www.catbag.net/wp/?p=173

Sylvain G's gear list:Sylvain G's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
TonyinJapan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050Gear list
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

How DO you change the focus point size? I can't find it in manual or menus (reading the manual on a tiny netbook, which does not help!).

You touch-screen the AF point and to the right of the screen should appear a up/down slider for bigger or smaller AF box.

Regards,
Tony

TonyinJapan's gear list:TonyinJapan's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to TonyinJapan, May 2, 2012

Thanks. Appears to revert to normal size as you move off touch screen focusing though!

Is there any way of permanently setting the focus point size for use with the normal direct focus buttons in the focus grid?

TonyinJapan wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

You touch-screen the AF point and to the right of the screen should appear a up/down slider for bigger or smaller AF box.

Regards,
Tony

TonyinJapan
Like?
Yes, I have OM-D buyer's remorse…

…that I didn’t insert ‘2’ instead of ‘1’ when I placed my order.

I have an itch to get the silver one now to complement my black one.

Silver lenses look strange on the black one; black lenses look strange on the silver one. Oh, well, I guess the system was cleverly marketed that way so you have to get both versions.

Regards,
Tony

Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
TonyinJapan
Like?
Chemical fingers…?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Thanks. Appears to revert to normal size as you move off touch screen focusing though!

That’s very bizarre. Why would it let you adjust and then revert back to normal size when you move off touch-screen? Perhaps you have chemically imbalanced fingers distorting the touch-screen sensors…?

Is there any way of permanently setting the focus point size for use with the normal direct focus buttons in the focus grid?

Not sure. I don’t tend to use the buttons for adjusting the AF points. Perhaps someone else can help you. Sorry.

Regards,
Tony

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: Chemical fingers…?

I've started another thread instead of hijacking this one!

TonyinJapan wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

That’s very bizarre. Why would it let you adjust and then revert back to normal size when you move off touch-screen? Perhaps you have chemically imbalanced fingers distorting the touch-screen sensors…?

Not sure. I don’t tend to use the buttons for adjusting the AF points. Perhaps someone else can help you. Sorry.

Regards,
Tony

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: Sold mine yesterday for $100 more than I paid 2 weeks ago.
In reply to snapper1967, May 2, 2012

I'm getting used to the size.

I'm still at the "how do I do.. Oh stuff it, I'll just make it work as it is" when shooting stage so I don't know how much the interface is or isn't going to annoy me yet.

Big problems at the moment: focusing point way too large and can't see where to adjust it, and I need a way of getting at bracketing without menu diving.

snapper1967 wrote:

Nice little camera. But that's my problem. Just too small for me. Solid but still feels like a toy. Had to keep the grip on it to make it feel right in my hands. Hate the tiny buttons on the back.

It's all good.

Going to buy the Nikon D800 and a couple of nice primes.

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

zabatman
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
Mine's coming next week

I've had an Olympus XZ-1 for a year and I love it and had no intention of changing it.

I read the E-M5 review last night.

This morning I was chatting on Facebook to the local dealer and casually asked him what the E-M5 pricing would be like here in South Africa, without any intention to actually buy one.

He mentioned that four are arriving in SA this week and he's booked all of them and has only sold three of them and there will be one available .....

... I really hope my husband doesn't notice that my camera has significantly increased in size. At least they are both black so that might help

zabatman's gear list:zabatman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +13 more
maflynn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,980
Like?
No regrets

by far this has been the best camera I've owned. When I first went to DSLR with the Nikon D70, that was the best camera.

Now the size, IQ and fast AF Lock, this is an awesome camera. I love carrying this around everywhere.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads