OM-D buyer's remorse

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,842Gear list
Like?
OM-D buyer's remorse
May 2, 2012

Ok.

Now that DPR has reviewed the OM-D, who has used the camera, have buyer's remorse and will be returning the camera?

Or has not received their OM-D and will be canceling their order for another camera ie. GX1, NEX7, or Fuji Pro 1?

Or, how many of you are still on the fence regarding the OM-D since it has the Panny G3 sensor and some say it's not that good of a sensor?

I'm still waiting notice for my OM-D and when it will ship.

Thank you.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +6 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Yohan Pamudji
Senior MemberPosts: 2,857
Like?
Re: OM-D buyer's remorse
In reply to Len_Gee, May 2, 2012

My only regret is I didn't order it sooner.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ron Outdoors
Contributing MemberPosts: 565
Like?
In reply to Yohan Pamudji, May 2, 2012

Agreed. I ordered a silver kit at the end of March. Hope it comes sometime in May.

Yohan Pamudji wrote:

-- hide signature --
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,030Gear list
Like?
None whatsoever

Regardless of what DPR says, my own review has been outstanding. The EM5 has exceeded expectations, and that's rare.

The IBIS is outstanding. In the first week with most any cam, I'd usually see a bit of motion blur in a few shots, maybe not watching shutter speed and focal length, the usual lapses. Haven't seen a single motion blurred shot yet.

I had hoped the battery grip might help with using HG ZD glass, and it definitely did the trick, handles well with the 50-200. AF has been greatly improved. Still slow, but much more consistent and accurate. For static subjects, it's useable now, whereas on the Pen it might miss lock, might take forever. I can live with this, as long as the subject isn't moving. And from what I've seen of the ZD 50-200 vs native M43 teles... the slower AF is worth putting up with.

Detail? Outstanding. Was shooting horses jumping at a competition last Sunday, and what I thought might be noise on the black horse turned out to be sand kicked up by the horse. That's detail. Some of that was the 45 1.8's sharpness, but zowie, these images are detailed. Don't recall seeing that sort of detail with the very sharp ZD50M on 4/3 bodies. ISO6400 is actually useable, not a curiosity like it was on earlier Pens, and even 25600 is salvagable. State of the art sensor performance, no excuses. About time.

The EM5 may get me to do something I've tried before but usually given up on - go to RAW. Got quite a bit more headroom for PP than the 12mp sensor. Beat it up, kick it around, muck with curves and levels... no banding.

No, no remorse at all. The only disappointment was no extra battery with the grip (cheapskates). The menu items can be confusing, but it's an Olympus camera so I can't say that's disappointing, more par for the course. So far, the EM5 has done everything I expected, and some things a lot better than I expected.

TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
jaylive
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?
Re: None whatsoever
In reply to TrapperJohn, May 2, 2012

i absolutely love this camera.

jaylive's gear list:jaylive's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
lsrmz
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

No buyer's remorse here. It was nice to read DPR's review, but I had already decided I loved the camera and it wasn't going back no matter what they said!!

Lori

Andr2
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
Re: None whatsoever

Soon as it shows up in the shops here I will buy it, patiently waiting.
Already sold my D300 gear.

Basically DPR's review was just comformation of what I've been reading sofar from earlier reports and it seems to actually do what it says in the Specs. I actually put more trust in what I read from real world users like the summary below. Which includes the actual handling of the Camera.

Talking about difficult to understand menu's.

For more tha a month the manual has been available and I've been reading and studying it ever since. Unless the actual menu's are nothing like what's described in the manual, l I can't see any problems.

If more people would have spend time doing that, they probably could have saved themselves a lot of head scratching when they received the Camera.

There appear to be a lot of happy users right now and I hope to be joining them soon.

Rgds....André

TrapperJohn wrote:

Regardless of what DPR says, my own review has been outstanding. The EM5 has exceeded expectations, and that's rare.

The IBIS is outstanding. In the first week with most any cam, I'd usually see a bit of motion blur in a few shots, maybe not watching shutter speed and focal length, the usual lapses. Haven't seen a single motion blurred shot yet.

I had hoped the battery grip might help with using HG ZD glass, and it definitely did the trick, handles well with the 50-200. AF has been greatly improved. Still slow, but much more consistent and accurate. For static subjects, it's useable now, whereas on the Pen it might miss lock, might take forever. I can live with this, as long as the subject isn't moving. And from what I've seen of the ZD 50-200 vs native M43 teles... the slower AF is worth putting up with.

Detail? Outstanding. Was shooting horses jumping at a competition last Sunday, and what I thought might be noise on the black horse turned out to be sand kicked up by the horse. That's detail. Some of that was the 45 1.8's sharpness, but zowie, these images are detailed. Don't recall seeing that sort of detail with the very sharp ZD50M on 4/3 bodies. ISO6400 is actually useable, not a curiosity like it was on earlier Pens, and even 25600 is salvagable. State of the art sensor performance, no excuses. About time.

The EM5 may get me to do something I've tried before but usually given up on - go to RAW. Got quite a bit more headroom for PP than the 12mp sensor. Beat it up, kick it around, muck with curves and levels... no banding.

No, no remorse at all. The only disappointment was no extra battery with the grip (cheapskates). The menu items can be confusing, but it's an Olympus camera so I can't say that's disappointing, more par for the course. So far, the EM5 has done everything I expected, and some things a lot better than I expected.

Makinations
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
What an odd set of questions

Len_Gee wrote:

Ok.

Now that DPR has reviewed the OM-D, who has used the camera, have buyer's remorse and will be returning the camera?

Did you read the review?

Or has not received their OM-D and will be canceling their order for another camera ie. GX1, NEX7, or Fuji Pro 1?

Nope.

Or, how many of you are still on the fence regarding the OM-D since it has the Panny G3 sensor and some say it's not that good of a sensor?

Seems at odds with the review I read. But then I like my G3's IQ so I wouldn't ditch my OM-D just because it has the same sensor. Plus it seems like the OM-D is getting more out of that sensor.

I'm still waiting notice for my OM-D and when it will ship.

Thank you.

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
eyeamgage
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?

Just like the others asked, did you actually read the review? It basically said the OM-D is the best, most capable m4/3 camera to date and won its prestigious Gold Award.

Regarding the sensor, every single test that has been done shows that even if its at its heart the same sensor as the G3, its been upgraded/optimized/changed whatever you want to call it to be better in every way. I still think its a completely different and new sensor and is exceptional in almost every way for its size....As a D7000 owner, it matches the output and IQ of that 16 mp APC-C size sensor in almost every way except long exposure noise.

The ONLY thing on the NEX-7 that I think beats the OM-D is focus peaking, but the IBIS, lens selection, in camera JPEG rendering and overall usability and fun-factor are unmatched.

I've had the camera for almost a week now and I could not be happier with my new investment. The camera is simply outstanding.

Jun2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207Gear list
Like?

No. Most people who bought will justify that OM-D is worth every penny.

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Andr2
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
In reply to Jun2, May 2, 2012

Jun2 wrote:

Except for that one Guy on Amazon

André

Bluephotons
Senior MemberPosts: 2,528Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andr2, May 2, 2012

Yes, I will never preorder again!
--
Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
acahaya
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?
+1 (nt)
-- hide signature --
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,273
Like?
In reply to Yohan Pamudji, May 2, 2012

Yohan Pamudji wrote:

My regret is that I pre-ordered it within the first possible hour from B&H and I still haven't got it. I don't think that I'll ever order anything from them again.

-- hide signature --
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,049Gear list
Like?
I wouldn't say that... but still love it.
In reply to Jun2, May 2, 2012

The E-M5 is overpriced, but so is the high-end model of every camera range of every brand. We live in a free economy: vendors will ask whatever they think they can get for any product. They always want to maximize profit.

I don't think the E-M5 is worth the price tag (especially in Europe) but there is simply no other option if you want the properties of the E-M5 is a package of that size.
It's all a matter of supply and demand.

Similarly the price of gas is ridiculous and is not worth every penny but what can you do when you want or need to drive...

Jun2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,862
Like?
Re:?????

TrapperJohn wrote:

This suggests that DPR have a negative assessment of the E-M5??? Did you read another review by DPR than I did?

-- hide signature --
eivissa1
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
Overpriced indeed
In reply to Paul De Bra, May 2, 2012

Paul De Bra wrote:

The E-M5 is overpriced, but so is the high-end model of every camera range of every brand. We live in a free economy: vendors will ask whatever they think they can get for any product.

I think you are more than right about the ridiculous price.

The Panny GX1 delivers more or less the same photo quality for 600 euros! That is half the price of the OMD in my countr!!. Of course without the gadgets that the Olly offers. But who needs them, if you are only interested in making photos.....?
The silly design of the Olly completes my picture.
BTW, no I don't own a GX1.

dlinney
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?

Went through the full cycle:

• Ordered silver kit day 1

• Cancelled after initial reviews - poor kit lens, ergonomics etc.

• Ordered black body on Monday (last day of UK free grip offer) from WEX and it was delivered late Tuesday.

I love this camera:

At last, a 4/3rds / micro-4/3rds camera I can use at 1600 or 3200ISO if I need to.
Image Stabilisation that works great with my old Olympus 90mm f2 Macro lens.
Looks great.
An EVF I actually like.

Niggles? Yes: please, please Olympus engineers sort out the ludicrous menu structure and absurd way of changing the AF area size (look at Panasonic for how to do it right).

If I didn't have access to the DPR review and various forum comments I would have no idea at all about some of the features / functions. The manual is a masterpiece of lots of data and little information.

Gabi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785Gear list
Like?

I have to join the other users who own the camera: I absolutely love the E-M5, and I have the feeling that finally (!) I am "at home"... The IQ is superb and the IBIs is a killer feature. The camera meets and actually exceeds all my expectations. I am really glad that I bought it without hesitation.
--
Gabi

http://www.gabis-galleries.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jazzcrab

Gabi's gear list:Gabi's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,527Gear list
Like?
Nothing to feel remorseful about
In reply to Gabi, May 2, 2012

I'm loving this camera independent of DPR's review. Handling / ergonomics are a-ok for me. Like any new gadget, it takes a while to get used to the controls, but I have no complaints, yet.

Throw in DPR's rave review and the first Gold medal awarded to a camera in the m43 category, and what is there to be sad about?

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads