Dumb question - How do I know I actually got a D800e?

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,842Gear list
Like?
Dumb question - How do I know I actually got a D800e?
May 2, 2012

Mine arrived today via a local store after having cancelled a B&H order which was placed early March. I got lucky with a store that is normally way off my radar when I called in on Friday. He said one was coming on Tuesday and nobody in the area wanted one so I was first on line.

Anyway, it is badged a D800e but I do not have anything to compare it too! So dumb question, apart from the name on the front and base or a head to head comparison, how do you tell?

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5200 +2 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
4x5 Guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 913
Like?
Re: Dumb question - How do I know I actually got a D800e?
In reply to flbrit, May 2, 2012

You're joking, right?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David H Dennis
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?

The D800E costs $300 more than the D800. Both D800 and D800E are in such incredible demand that any camera store will sell out almost immediately, no matter what they have.

If the box says "D800E", and the camera says "D800E", then the camera store would have had to commit a complex and difficult to execute fraud for $300, and that just doesn't seem likely ...

D

David H Dennis's gear list:David H Dennis's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,063Gear list
Like?
In reply to David H Dennis, May 2, 2012
 Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D5300 Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +19 more
flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,842Gear list
Like?
In reply to 4x5 Guy, May 2, 2012

Right, also my eyes are bleeding from looking at the first print so I guess it must be the sharpest one.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5200 +2 more
kenneth_manila
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
Check the Menu and EXIF of Image Files

flbrit wrote:

it is badged a D800e but I do not have anything to compare it too!

apart from the name on the front and base or a head to head comparison, how do you tell?

I would check the Menu System--there should/might be something there saying it's an 800E.

Another option is to take a few shots then check the EXIF of the images--under Camera you should see 800E.

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Dumb answer

Shoot corrugated rooftops, kimonos, and powerlines. If you see moiré in the photos, you know you have the D800E.

pajarrett
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
Does it look like. . .

someone has painted an E after D800? If not , it is probably a D800E. Then again Nikon maybe trying to pull a fast one on us (well maybe not so fast considering the delivery speed).
--
Paul
http://www.pbase.com/pajarrett/galleries

pajarrett's gear list:pajarrett's gear list
Nikon D800 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +4 more
Mitchydkid
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?

The only way to know for sure is to look at the back of the shutter. On the "entry-level" D800, the shutter is painted "ultra-lusterless graphite." On the "expert enthusiast-level" D800E, the shutter is painted "super-lumiphobic black."

If I forked over an extra $300 smackers, I would remove the shutter and confirm I got what I paid for. Let us know what you find out.

bclaff
Contributing MemberPosts: 698
Like?

Brian,

I think it's an interesting question; not dumb.

It's unlikely that any fraud has been attempted but telling the D800 and D800E apart is intellectually interesting.

I think I may be able to tell them apart by close examination of raw files (not simply looking at the metadata!).

If you want to try the experiment, contact me by email. (See the bottom of my site.)

Regards
--
Bill (visit me at http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/ )

The_Suede
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?
linear polarizer
In reply to bclaff, May 2, 2012

A linear polarizer will tell. If you can change the vertical vs the horizontal resolution in the center of the image by rotating the polarizer, it's not an "E". In the non-"E" version (if you find the perfect polarizer angles) you can make the vertical detail contrast higher than what you get without the polarizer...

(now I'm just assuming that the front-most layer is the vertical layer, since that's how most Nikons are made. Haven't tested it on the D800 yet...)

The second layer isn't "nullable" unfortunately, since the non-"E" version has a quarter wave plate just behind the first layer of birefringent material.

Julian Vrieslander
Contributing MemberPosts: 919
Like?
Try this...

What do you see in the top line of this chart? If this is challenge, you might want to consider another hobby.

shawnfb
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?
Re: Try this...
In reply to Julian Vrieslander, May 2, 2012

this is with out a doubt the greatest reply to any thread on any board..
congrats! you should win a Nikon D800E.
I love you...... brilliant!

-- hide signature --

shawn

shawnfb's gear list:shawnfb's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +5 more
emax
Senior MemberPosts: 1,896
Like?
Rub the "E"

If it comes off, it's just a D800 with the "E" written in crayon.

hanoiboy
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?

Check your bank statement, it should be $3300.00!

Jim Dougherty
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
Re: linear polarizer
In reply to The_Suede, May 2, 2012

Thanks immensely to you and mitchydkid.....

lanef
Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?
Re: Rub the "E"
In reply to emax, May 2, 2012

emax wrote:

If it comes off, it's just a D800 with the "E" written in crayon.

That's the best advice that the OP really needs to reassure him. Rub off the dumb E!

dabrickbat
Regular MemberPosts: 310
Like?
Re: Rub the "E"
In reply to lanef, May 2, 2012

I have a D800. Send it to me for full comparative testing. I will return it as soon as I am finished or after 4 years - whichever is later.
--
http://www.mmmiro.com

morpheus_23
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
In reply to flbrit, May 4, 2012

You need a spectrum analyzer and some hand tools. Also wouldn't hurt to have a flux capacitor nearby. You must remove the sensor in order to use the analyzer on the firmware chip. Should be at location F13 and 14 behind the daughterboard. Once the sensor is removed, carefully solder 2 wires (white and pink) to locations 13 and 14. These will interface with the flux capacitor which is what the analyzer will connect to asyncronously.

Tune the analyzer to a center frequency of 27Mhz, a bandwidth of 105 meg and a rez bandwidth of 300. Output the test probe to the flux capacitor.

If the flux capacitor glows blue, you have a plain D800. If it glows green, you have the D800E. If it glows multicolor, you have a NEX-7.

Reassemble in reverse and your good to go.

LOL...just look at the box, the body and the strap.

ragmandf
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to morpheus_23, May 4, 2012

WOW what a question ~ is this april fools day

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads