The wisdom of a 14 year old girl.

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions
Brian
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,791
Like?
The wisdom of a 14 year old girl.
May 2, 2012

If you can't afford to do it, then don't do it.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Bill Randall
Forum ProPosts: 13,194Gear list
Like?
Re: The wisdom of a 14 year old girl.
In reply to Brian, May 2, 2012

Brian wrote:

She has my vote.

Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chato
Forum ProPosts: 42,798Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill Randall, May 2, 2012

Bill Randall wrote:

Brian wrote:

She has my vote.

SIght unseen? What exactly was she referring to to get your unconditional support?

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

Bill Randall
Like?
In reply to Chato, May 2, 2012

Chato wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

Brian wrote:

She has my vote.

SIght unseen? What exactly was she referring to to get your unconditional support?

Dave

She has said more that makes sense in that one sentence than a politician says in a whole term in office. Since voter ID is not required, she has my vote ........ again.

Brian
Like?
the next thing she said

"It seems stupid that politicians go out of their way to go into debt.

Even a kid knows you can't spend more than you have."

Perhaps a bit naive but life would be so much simpler if that was applied. Too bad we are far too complacent with the yolk of debt around our necks.

I can't wait until I am total master of my money and not the other way around.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Chato
Like?
In reply to Bill Randall, May 2, 2012

Bill Randall wrote:

Chato wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

Brian wrote:

She has my vote.

Dave

She has said more that makes sense in that one sentence than a politician says in a whole term in office. Since voter ID is not required, she has my vote ........ again.

I see Brian has added another post...

Maybe we should add, "If you can't afford to buy food, then starve."

Or, "If you can't afford to get necessities, maybe you should raise your income, instead of doing without."

Dave

-- hide signature --

Brian
Like?

Chato wrote:

This has nothing to do with the poor. It has everything to do with money management in Washington.

Or, "If you can't afford to get necessities, maybe you should raise your income, instead of doing without."

Wait Dave, are you actually going to try to do some math? That is so un-liberal of you to try do something meaningful.

Or are you stating that the government should be in debt in order to give services to the poor? I do hope you say yes. Please please please be your liberal self and say yes.

-- hide signature --

Brian

RossAndrew
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?
Re: the next thing she said

Debt is a necessity today as it has always been. Who can wait to save the entire price of a house, or car while living as well? What country can grow without using borrowed money? Its how you use it that matter's.

Bill Randall
Like?
In reply to RossAndrew, May 2, 2012

RossAndrew wrote:

Debt is a necessity today as it has always been. Who can wait to save the entire price of a house, or car while living as well? What country can grow without using borrowed money? Its how you use it that matter's.

An how many people that could not wait to buy a reasonable house at a reasonable price - lost their house because of debt?

Yes, in today's world we need debt - Managed debt. Debt that can be paid off and still have enough for other necessities such as home, care and medical insurance. The problem is people reach the age of 21 and they want everything their parents took years to obtain - NOW.

While it is true many people have an income so low they cannot buy all the necessities of life. But for the others, financial responsibility is not rocket science.

Brian
Like?

RossAndrew wrote:

Debt is only a necessity because the banks have cleverly set the economics to be such. I can see going into debt to buy a house, but only if it is a 15 year or less loan and the percentage of your income that goes to that loan is 25% or less. Many of the financial problems of today are because morons bought way too much house than they could afford.

Going into debt to buy a car is plain stupid. If you can't buy a new car, with cash, buy a used one.

There are a number of countries that grow without borrowed money. But they are poor examples. I would say, what companies can grow without borrowed money? There are quite a few very successful companies that run completely debt free. I work for one. As such the benefits are much better as they don't have to pay a portion of their income as interest.

There is absolutely no reason this country should be run in the red. The interest alone could pay for healthcare and for college. It is absolutely absurd that politicians are too stupid to get the country out of debt.

-- hide signature --

Brian

RossAndrew
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?

. I can see going into debt to buy a house, but only if it is a 15 year or less loan and the percentage of your income that goes to that loan is 25% or less. Many of the financial problems of today are because morons bought way too much house than they could afford.

Going into debt to buy a car is plain stupid. If you can't buy a new car, with cash, buy a used one. --

Brian

I agree with a lot of what you say, but to save enough to put down as a deposit as to bring your loan down to 25% of your wage, it must be a very small house or you have a super paying job.

A young couple would be paying unnecessary rent for years that could be going into paying off there loan.

The same with a car, its no good buying a cheap car ever few years that has no value at the end of its life. You may pay a bit of interest, but will have things like, air bags, ant lock brakes, and all the other safety gear that goes with newer cars and still have value when you sell it.

mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 28,573Gear list
Like?
If you derive your wisdom from a 14 year old...

... you will get what you deserve. Sorry.

Brian
Like?
Re: If you derive your wisdom from a 14 year old...
In reply to mamallama, May 2, 2012

What is there to be sorry about?

Not being able to understand that the simple concept is achievable is what you should feel sorry for.

To understand finance is to understand modern day slavery. To keep ones self out of financing anything is to live in freedom ones entire life. What's there to be sorry about?

mamallama wrote:

... you will get what you deserve. Sorry.

-- hide signature --

Brian

JasonMI
Regular MemberPosts: 475
Like?

RossAndrew wrote:

This. The young woman's comment displays an apparent lack of even basic personal, business, or governmental economics.

Brian
Like?
In reply to JasonMI, May 2, 2012

JasonMI wrote:

RossAndrew wrote:

This. The young woman's comment displays an apparent lack of even basic personal, business, or governmental economics.

Really? How so? Can you tell me how the government is doing a fine job in the economics department? Go on please tell.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Morris Sullivan
Senior MemberPosts: 3,725
Like?
If you disregard wisdom because it's from a 14 year old...
In reply to mamallama, May 2, 2012

... you don't deserve much. Sorry.

I recommend listening to everyone and forming your own opinions based on the content, not your prejudice against the speaker.

Brian
Like?

RossAndrew wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you say, but to save enough to put down as a deposit as to bring your loan down to 25% of your wage, it must be a very small house or you have a super paying job.

It is all about wants and needs. or more than that it is about materialism. Learning to make due with less. There is an evil mindset that one has to do better than the parents, bigger house, bigger car.

I was reminded of this the past couple of days. My grandmother passed away last week and we had her memorial service on Monday. She was not a woman of monetary wealth. Most of her life she lived what would be considered a fairly meager living. But she also lived one of the richest lives I've ever seen. Her family was her riches. You could be sad and be in the same room with her.

I was fortunate to inherit her computer, with the caveat that I would make available all the data on the computer to the "family". So I went through it yesterday. She had nothing but thousands of pics of the fam.

I don't think it would hurt people to start out small. Learn to be happy with less and find that your life has more.

A young couple would be paying unnecessary rent for years that could be going into paying off there loan.

This is true, but like I said, it should be a loan that is easily managed. One that can be handled even if one is laid off for a half a year.

The same with a car, its no good buying a cheap car ever few years that has no value at the end of its life. You may pay a bit of interest, but will have things like, air bags, ant lock brakes, and all the other safety gear that goes with newer cars and still have value when you sell it.

Most used cars have all these safety features. I bought a Ford Escape for the kids last year. 130K miles, ABS, all wheel drive, air bags, etc. for $4.5k. This car should last another 8-10 years. Yeah, there will be repair costs, but this car should average us less than $100/month excluding gas. During which time it would be easy to save another $100/month to put towards a newer car when this one dies. In 8 years one could easily save up $10k to put towards a newer better used car. All the time interest working for you instead of against you.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Chato
Like?

Brian wrote:

Chato wrote:

This has nothing to do with the poor. It has everything to do with money management in Washington.

Wait Dave, are you actually going to try to do some math? That is so un-liberal of you to try do something meaningful.

Or are you stating that the government should be in debt in order to give services to the poor? I do hope you say yes. Please please please be your liberal self and say yes.

The government cut it's revenue, and then launched two wars. In modern history, only one country has ever cut revenue in times of war.

The country was Tsarist Russia.

Now of course we have to continmue to cut revenue, because the wealthy are hurting. Their revenue has almost tripled in the last twelve years, and how can we expect them to increase their property ownership on a mere rise in revenue of 300 percent?

And of course, the Republican budget plan will cut revnue - But unlike Mr. Bush they DO ninted to pay for it by cutting services to the poor, and the Middle Class.

I'm sure this make sense to you. After all you claim that working kids 14 hours a day during school hours is good for their education.

Others; i.e.people from planet earth, might conclude that the proper response of a modern nation facing compitition from other countruies, should be to increase revenue, and increase programs that aid the general welfare of the people of the country. Programs such as educating a modern workforce, creating a more modern transportation grid, electric grid, communications grid.

But on your home planet things are done otherwise...

Dave
--

Chato
Like?
When the government is run for the benefit of one group only?

Brian wrote:

JasonMI wrote:

RossAndrew wrote:

Really? How so? Can you tell me how the government is doing a fine job in the economics department? Go on please tell.

The question of debt is a phony Republican issue, and it take s a 14 year old girl born before the Bush tax cuts to match your memory and your intellectual level. My apologies to her - She's only 14...

Our country was well on its way to completely eliminating the National debt when Mr. Bush took office. In fact, economists like Greenspan warned that we were paying it off too rapidly.

Mr. Bush's response to this was to cut revenue a Trillion a year AND launch too expensive wars - HIS economic response for the increased costs was to put it all on the National credit card, and barrow the money from China and India.

All suggestioons to increase revenue have LITERALLY been met with the claim that such suggestions are Marxist Communism.

Dave
--

Brian
Like?
Re: When the government is run for the benefit of one group only?

Chato wrote:

Brian wrote:

JasonMI wrote:

RossAndrew wrote:

The question of debt is a phony Republican issue, and it take s a 14 year old girl born before the Bush tax cuts to match your memory and your intellectual level. My apologies to her - She's only 14...

Our country was well on its way to completely eliminating the National debt when Mr. Bush took office. In fact, economists like Greenspan warned that we were paying it off too rapidly.

Mr. Bush's response to this was to cut revenue a Trillion a year AND launch too expensive wars - HIS economic response for the increased costs was to put it all on the National credit card, and barrow the money from China and India.

All suggestioons to increase revenue have LITERALLY been met with the claim that such suggestions are Marxist Communism.

Dave
--

This history is all and good, but I didn't vote for Bush, I didn't support him or his wars. Launching two wars and decreasing revenue is just plain stupid. Increasing revenue is not a great solution either. Trimming the military and other waste from the government is.

So the wisdom still stands. don't try and buy stuff with money you don't have. The interest payments alone could pay for most of the programs the libs want.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads