Is it possible to do pics like these in m4/3?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
jcr20190
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Is it possible to do pics like these in m4/3?
May 1, 2012

is it possible to do pics like these in m4/3?

vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,104Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it possible to do pics like these in m4/3?
In reply to jcr20190, May 1, 2012

Yes !

Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,791Gear list
Like?

To ge tthe narrow Depth of Field to get the subject isolation and smooth background one needs a fast lens with a round f-stop blades. The 45mm Olympus and the upcoming 75mm Olympus should do just fine. Most of the earlier m-4/3 lenses are just a little too slow to give these results.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +24 more
pannumon
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?

jcr20190 wrote:

Yes and no. You can get the back- foreground blurred like in these images, but mft cannot really do wideangle + shallow depth of field at a reasonable distance from the subject. Anyway, you can get close and the third image you can do. You just need a correct lens, which may even mean manual focus.

Or am I wrong and can the 25mm f/1.4 do this?

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
Crimguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
In reply to pannumon, May 1, 2012

Well, on two of the images he's using two of the better portrait lenses out there, the Canon 100mm/2.8L and the 135mm/2.0L.

The 45/1.8 should fit the bill nicely for these shots. The upcoming 75mm would be perfect, as would the 35-100/2.8 that's rumored to be coming out.

pannumon wrote:

jcr20190 wrote:

Yes and no. You can get the back- foreground blurred like in these images, but mft cannot really do wideangle + shallow depth of field at a reasonable distance from the subject. Anyway, you can get close and the third image you can do. You just need a correct lens, which may even mean manual focus.

Or am I wrong and can the 25mm f/1.4 do this?

Crimguy's gear list:Crimguy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
dkadc
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?

Yes. if you weren't a fauxtographer you wouldn't ask.

Obviously YOU are not capable of photographs like this, if you were you would post your own pictures instead of looking for huge DOF shots made by others.
--

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be lrm for the rest of his life.

dkadc's gear list:dkadc's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
jcr20190
Like?
In reply to DLBlack, May 1, 2012

thanks, i was searching for pics taken with m43 but nothing appears, so i started to doubt if it was possible

Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248Gear list
Like?
In reply to pannumon, May 1, 2012

I would probably look to something like the Voigtländer Noktons for minimum depth of field, but they should be able to handle it quite well, so... "yes" micro four-thirds can do it.

Look around in the flickr groups. I just picked some random photos done with Noktons:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldblackong/6935529373/in/pool-1533591@N20

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lars_petter/6898181119/in/pool-1533591@N20

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryojin_s/6742150957/in/pool-1533591@N20

All the above is done using the 25 mm Nokton. The 17.5 mm Nokton is fairly new (and pricey) so not that many pictures around around from it yet.

Method Man
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?

search this frum under olympus 45mm 1.8 you should get some portraits to look at marla 2008 s pics sping to mind.

Crimguy
Like?
In reply to dkadc, May 1, 2012

Didn't realize they weren't his until you mentioned this. They are nice shots though!

dkadc wrote:

Obviously YOU are not capable of photographs like this, if you were you would post your own pictures instead of looking for huge DOF shots made by others.
--

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be lrm for the rest of his life.

Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Combatmedic870
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?
for $1500
In reply to muddyfunster, May 1, 2012

For 1500 you can buy a 5dmk1 and a 135F2 and make images like that all day long. $700 for 5dmk1 and $700 for 135F2L. give or take $100.

Thats the easiest way to do it period.

All of them can be shot with the M43 sensor. Lenses wise. The 25mm and 45mm will be able to take that portrait shot. no problem. M43 does not have a native lens that can shoot the full body portraits that would look like that..

A Canon 85mm 1.2 MF lens would be able to do it though. You going to need a tad more space though... $1200

The 75mm 1.8 MIGHT be able to....but the Canon 85mm 1.2 can wide open. It would look better then the 75mm. It might even be cheaper vs the 75mm 1.8....

Recreating something from full frame on anything but full frame is very hard. Ive tried for year to do it with crop canons. i stopped with the 7d and got a 5dmk1.

-- hide signature --

Ryan,

Combatmedic870's gear list:Combatmedic870's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
BushmanOrig
Senior MemberPosts: 2,818Gear list
Like?

Not sure if its a trick question but lets answer like this. Its true that by setting up the camera correctly one can go a long way in getting excellent results. I disagree with the poster referring to the limitations of 4 Thirds. Its like this, if I had to stand next to a guy with a 5D and I with my E-PL2 with 45mm lens then yes I will have limitations. If I on the other hand may use another lens and move then much are possible....you need to know your equipment and practice....

The look you showed is not 100% but close to a popular look seen on various advertising images, magazines and the cloth industry....for that type look you need to master a few unique editing techniques, the camera can only go that far....

Its true that we can all sit in a row and compete on taking the best image or you can take out the artist in you and enjoy creating art using both your camera plus Photoshop....

I added a basic layer section to my website to help photographers work with layers. In that section I describe a basic sharpening technique that can help you move in the right direction.....its not enough, you still need to look more once you get the feel of the basics

Siegfried

-- hide signature --

Community of Photographers
http://www.photographyisfun.ch

BushmanOrig's gear list:BushmanOrig's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
coffeebean
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?

Possible, but not easy.

With the current lens line-up, the 3rd shot is easily achievable.

You can get close to the effect of the 1st shot.

The 2nd shot is not possible with the current lens line-up. The upcoming 75 f1.8 should get you similar result, but probably still can't duplicate that effect.

MarcusBrody
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?

I was going to bring this up. Most of the M4/3 photos posted in this thread have a very different composition than his first two examples. I'm not saying that they couldn't be done (in fact I don't think it would be a problem with the right lenses), but no one has posted a good shot proving that they can be yet in the thread.

MarcusBrody's gear list:MarcusBrody's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Crimguy
Like?
In reply to Crimguy, May 1, 2012
jcr20190
Like?

well, i dont have a high specs camera, i have a LX3, and a small DOF in portraits is one of the things i would like to have, im thinking on buying a m43 but i doubt if these cameras were capable of doing this type of photographies

jayphotoworks
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?

mFT would also be hard pressed to capture a fast prime's field curvature which is evident in the OP's shots. It also won't have the same level of background compression (74mm vs 135mm, for example).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayphotoworks/6317490856/in/set-72157628063455664

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayphotoworks/2901126529/in/set-72157607599412386/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayphotoworks/2901969412/in/set-72157607599412386/

I would reach for the best gear to realize the intended vision and understand the limits of each.

muddyfunster wrote:

the full body portraits would be the most difficult to achieve with m4/3rds, the head and shoulder shot easily done.
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

-- hide signature --

jayphotoworks photography

DRabbit
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,520Gear list
Like?

I think this guy is much more attractive...

EPM1+45 f/1.8

LOL!

Kidding aside, yes, you can get blurry background with m4/3 and the right combination of f-stop and distance (from camera to subject and subject to background).

I don't shoot a lot of people, so I don't have a good sample set for you, but here's some I could find that show blurry backgrounds...

The last one was shot with the 20mm f/1.7 Pancake. The background isn't all that blurry, but it is a bit and this wasn't wide open... it's at f/2.8

Amy
--

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Google+: http://gplus.to/DangRabbit
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DangRabbit
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DangRabbitPhotography
PAD Project: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography/pad
Gallery: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography

DRabbit's gear list:DRabbit's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M8 Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Combatmedic870
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?

First......anyone is capable of this...with the proper equipment and state of mind.

second.....these arent huge DOF shots.....they have a very shallow amount of DOF.

DOF means depth of field......DOF= whats in focus. a 12mm at F8 shooting a landscape would have a huge DOF.

I think the reason he used these pictures....MIGHT be because he seen them and thought..."i really love these photo's, i wonder what i could do to make something similar"

So maybe he thought....hmmmmm ill post these on the M43 forums and see what they say. (he does)

Look.....im getting responses. (pats self on back).

Done and done.

dkadc wrote:

--

-- hide signature --

Ryan,

Combatmedic870's gear list:Combatmedic870's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?

the full body portraits would be the most difficult to achieve with m4/3rds, the head and shoulder shot easily done.
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads