(Some) GH2 owners going through Kubler-Ross

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
zephyrus
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
(Some) GH2 owners going through Kubler-Ross
May 1, 2012

Denial: The OM-D won't be as good as the GH2! It uses an old Panasonic sensor! LR4 only works its magic with the GH2! The OM-D is almost the same size if you add on an optional grip! The GH2 handling is better even though I have never held an OM-D! Let's wait for the DP review before we draw any conclusions! (review comes out) Gold awards are overrated!!

Anger: Those OM-D photos are phony because they cheat on ISO! Even though I have never complained about it before, I clearly see now that the DPR studio scene comparison tool is fatally flawed! The OM-D must be applying NR in RAW!

Bargaining: If the GH3 comes out soon, I'll be ok.

Depression: My camera is two years old. It isn't the latest and greatest anymore. I have lost all sense of purpose.

Acceptance: The GH2 is a great camera. It may not be the best m43rds camera anymore, but it isn't far behind.

zephyrus's gear list:zephyrus's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alfredo_tomato
Senior MemberPosts: 2,430Gear list
Like?
Re: (Some) GH2 owners going through Kubler-Ross
In reply to zephyrus, May 1, 2012

Reality I'm too damn poor to buy a new camera.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfredo_tomato/

alfredo_tomato's gear list:alfredo_tomato's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JimSocks
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
Re: Funny post
In reply to dcassat, May 1, 2012

give me 24p mode. this can be done in firmware

Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
Availablity?

What about those of us "stuck" with a GH2 because there are no silver E-M5s to be found?

The GH2 is still a great camera!

aroundomaha
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
None of the above

I bought the GH2 for reasons that aren't reflected in any of those answers. The OMD looks awesome and I have a long standing PEN fetish but the GH2 is where I cam by choice.

Would I prefer the awesome Oly jpg's? You bet but the video options are better for me on the GH1 & GH2, especially with the capability to hack the firmware.

zephyrus wrote:

Denial: The OM-D won't be as good as the GH2! It uses an old Panasonic sensor! LR4 only works its magic with the GH2! The OM-D is almost the same size if you add on an optional grip! The GH2 handling is better even though I have never held an OM-D! Let's wait for the DP review before we draw any conclusions! (review comes out) Gold awards are overrated!!

Anger: Those OM-D photos are phony because they cheat on ISO! Even though I have never complained about it before, I clearly see now that the DPR studio scene comparison tool is fatally flawed! The OM-D must be applying NR in RAW!

Depression: My camera is two years old. It isn't the latest and greatest anymore. I have lost all sense of purpose.

Acceptance: The GH2 is a great camera. It may not be the best m43rds camera anymore, but it isn't far behind.

-- hide signature --

Aroundomaha
http://aroundomaha.blogspot.com
Home of the wannabe photographer!

aroundomaha's gear list:aroundomaha's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Funny post

It works because it's true, but of many things. Well done!

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
zephyrus
Like?
Re: None of the above
In reply to aroundomaha, May 1, 2012

You sound like a perfectly reasonable person, and thus the post was not directed at you.

aroundomaha wrote:

I bought the GH2 for reasons that aren't reflected in any of those answers. The OMD looks awesome and I have a long standing PEN fetish but the GH2 is where I cam by choice.

Would I prefer the awesome Oly jpg's? You bet but the video options are better for me on the GH1 & GH2, especially with the capability to hack the firmware.

zephyrus wrote:

-- hide signature --

Aroundomaha
http://aroundomaha.blogspot.com
Home of the wannabe photographer!

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,145Gear list
Like?
Re:Judge not lest ye be judged n/t
In reply to zephyrus, May 2, 2012
-- hide signature --

I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
Re: Funny post
In reply to JimSocks, May 2, 2012

Since Oly could have easily done that in the first place, but chose not to, I wouldn't hold my breath.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 31,924Gear list
Like?
Inferiority complex.

Think through why you felt the need to do this. Not to mention, it's not like the GH2 is a bad camera or stopped working just because the OMD came out.

zephyrus wrote:

This one is the disease of many at dpreview. Thus photography doesn't improve.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

zephyrus
Like?
Re: Inability to understand humor complex.
In reply to Raist3d, May 2, 2012

Think through why you can't understand a humorous post. Obviously what is written under acceptance is what is reasonable to conclude. This post was just to make light of many things that were actually written on this forum. Look them up. Everyone of those statements was actually written in posts on this forum.

Raist3d wrote:

Think through why you felt the need to do this. Not to mention, it's not like the GH2 is a bad camera or stopped working just because the OMD came out.

zephyrus wrote:

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Leo
Leo
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,820
Like?

zephyrus wrote:

Why is your post? OMD in a year will be an old camera then you would buy a new one I knew why I was biying the GH2 a two years old camera....
Leo

Leo
Leo
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,820
Like?

zephyrus wrote:

Think through why you can't understand a humorous post. Obviously what is written under acceptance is what is reasonable to conclude. This post was just to make light of many things that were actually written on this forum. Look them up. Everyone of those statements was actually written in posts on this forum.

Raist3d wrote:

zephyrus wrote:

-- hide signature --

Your post is not a humorous post.
Leo

toscha_seidel
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
In reply to Leo, May 2, 2012

It's quite funny actually and he's not making things up.
I am saying this as an Oly fanboy though.

dp88
Regular MemberPosts: 330
Like?
There's an obnoxious trend
In reply to Leo, May 2, 2012

There's an obnoxious trend that a person can imply or say any offensive or flat out incorrect thing that they want, and then since it was phrased as a joke, they can be indignant if someone calls them out on it.

Leo wrote:

zephyrus wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

zephyrus wrote:

-- hide signature --

Your post is not a humorous post.
Leo

Gabi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785Gear list
Like?
ROFL! (nt)
 Gabi's gear list:Gabi's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,837
Like?

zephyrus wrote ...

An entertaining post. We should all perhaps excel at taking ourselves less seriously . In that spirit of benign sarcasm, consider your "Syndrome" of sorts in reverse, the shoe sometimes on other foot:

Anticipation : The "Holy Oly faithful" swoon and talk in tongues about the revolutionary "5-axis" IBIS. Surely, they say, it will be "killer" for linear motions in two dimensions when shooting close-up!

Panda9 wrote:

All m4/3-specific digitally-connected lenses from any manufacturer and all 4/3 lenses with the MMF adapters transmit FL and AF distance information to the body. This means even the very first 14-45mm kit lens released for the E-1 / E-300 years ago will benefit from the 5-axis IBIS on the E-M5 when used with the MMF adapter.

Some recent 3rd-party manual focus lenses specific to m4/3 are including FL and aperture information. I think they intended it just for EXIF purposes, but now I can see how this could potentially help three-axis IBIS, assuming the Olympus camera body acts on this data.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=40574821

Elation : The "Holy Oly faithful" begin regularly goose-stepping in formation to the cafeteria ...

Bargaining: Mere Panyboys are offered part-time jobs with no benefits sweeping the floor of the Temple as a gesture of benevolent kindness ... as long as they "take the freight elevator", that is.

Amalrageddon : The Panyboy dwarf-tossing festivities begin as the Great Humped One begins to ship worldwide. Sprits are high; some Olyboys get real pompous ; tempers and fuses become short

Denial : The high priests bless the Great Humped One, annointing it with Gold ... but ... announce that 2 of those magical 5 IBIS axes fall just a bit short of all of those original glowing expectations:

IS for macro generally doesn't work all that well

Andy Westlake wrote:

Dorkooken wrote:

In the artice I read that IBIS stabilisation is not working well for macro shooting. (close distances)

Does this means it's not helping at all?

Image stabilization for macro is technically problematic; at high subject magnifications the IS doesn't just have to take into account the angular movement of the lens due to camera shake, but the translational movement of the lens's entrance pupil relative to the subject too.

As far as I'm aware, the only systems that promise to do this are the E-M5's '5-axis' IS and Canon's 'Hybrid IS', that's used in its 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro lens and several of its compacts. The Panasonic 45mm F2.8 OIS doesn't do this, and as a consequence OIS has very little effect at close focus distances. The Canon IS Macro lens does better, but even then the IS system is much less effective at close distances than it is in normal use.

So the short answer is no - the 45mm F2.8's OIS won't work much better for macro than the E-M5's in-body IS, if at all. The only thing that really works is still a tripod.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41386008

Andy Westlake wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Is the E-M5 linear motion compensation worse than that ? Do M43 lenses really accurately know and report the front nodal-point to plane-of-focus distance ? I have really been skeptical of how accurately all of that could occur - especially in the case of varifocal zoom lens-systems where internal elements move ...

Personally, I suspect that the E-M5 knows this information very well indeed for certain Olympus ZD lenses; most obviously the 12-50mm set to macro mode, the upcoming 60/2.8 Macro, and the Four Thirds 35/3.5 and 50/2 macros. But probably not through the lens reporting it to the body, instead by the IS system having the properties of these lenses already programmed-in. Obviously it also needs them to report the focus distance accurately, which means it could get less-accurate if you turn the lens reset function off in the menu.

For other lenses I'd expect the macro component of the IS system to be ineffective. There's no obvious way it could work with adapted manual focus macro lenses, for example.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41386159

Andy Westlake wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Here is the User Manual for the Canon's 'Hybrid IS' 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro lens:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300003522/01/ef100f28lmacroisusm-en.pdf

At 1.0x magnification, they state 2 stops of effectiveness (at 0.5x magnification, 3 stops, etc.).

Here's my review of that very same lens:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_100_2p8_is_usm_c16

The IS testing, including for macro, is on page 4.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41386235

Optical Image Stabilization

The EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM's party trick is its new Hybrid Image Stabilization, which Canon claims to be the first system that is genuinely effective at macro distances. Despite this the company only claims a benefit of 2 stops at 1:1 macro, as opposed to 4 stops at more 'normal' distances .

In use the stabilizer is near-silent, locking rapidly to give a viewfinder image that, for longer subject distances at least, is rock-steady. At distances shorter than about 1m, the stabilization starts to become visibly less effective .

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_100_2p8_is_usm_c16/4

Let's all hope that your E-M5's IBIS does not develop the "image-sensor jumping-bean syndrome". And, the high priests of DxOMark have yet to confirm the miraculous Dynamic Range prophesized ..

Surely, fanboys of all persuasions will be thinking good thoughts, and hoping for the best outcome.

DM ...

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?

For me it's more like this...

zephyrus wrote:

Denial:

No I don't need to get a GH2, I really don't.

Anger:

Why do they have to make such a good camera, it's just not fair of them.

Bargaining:

Ok, maybe if I get I'll sell some camera stuff, then the cost will sorta balance out.

Depression:

But I don't know how I'll cope every day with nothing to look forward to in the camera world

Acceptance:

Fine, I'll just go and buy the GH2. It's an awsome camera and I'll be glad I did. The longer I put it off the less time I'll have to take pictures with it.

Yea, that's pretty much how I see the GH2 atm.

bobbarber
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Um... I had a choice, and I just ordered the GH2...

...now if it would only get here. Ordered it off the Panasonic Fans Only Deals page on Facebook, and so far have waited a couple of weeks with no confirmation of a shipping date.

Anyway, there is zero envy here for EM-5 buyers, and I am (was? I guess I still am...) an Olympus guy. Most of my glass is 4/3 E-system glass.

Here's how I reason. The EM-5 has superior high ISO, which means that my AWFUL, CRUMMY, BLOTCHY high ISO photos on the GH2, which I probably shouldn't be taking anyway, will only turn out to be AWFUL and CRUMMY on the EM-5. Wow! What a difference!

Meanwhile, I get a FAR superior video spec on the GH2.

Hmmmm... a stop to a stop and a half high ISO, of dubious real world value, versus a superior video spec...

I didn't have to think about it very long. In fact, I'm not sure I even had to think about it at all. If the two cameras were close to the same price, I might have had to think about it for a while.

I realize I left weatherproofing and IBIS out of the equation. I've never owned a weatherproof camera and don't see the need for one now. IBIS is good, and I will miss it.

I'm not denigrating the EM-5 at all. It looks like a great camera, and it may in fact be an objectively superior camera to the GH-2. But not for me. I had a choice, and the GH2 was it.

One final editorial note: Guys, video is the future. You have to compete in that arena to be successful. It is now available on all of these cameras, even the low-end ones, and people are becoming savvier about the different capabilities. So Olympus needs to pick it up there. I would not be surprised if my lowly Panasonic G2, which I picked up for $300 new and promptly hacked, does video as well or better at 720p than the EM-5 will. And the GH2 is WAY beyond the EM-5 in control, codec, etc.

I hope this helps.

bobbarber's gear list:bobbarber's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom
zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,122
Like?

Oly has finally caught up with 2 year old camera. Great achievement. It took 2 years but they finally did it. Now they can brag until GH3 is released. After that 2 years of catching up if they get lucky again.

zephyrus wrote:

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads