IS with Continuous Shooting - Review corrected.

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,970
Like?
IS with Continuous Shooting - Review corrected.
May 1, 2012

Reader feedback has brought to attention an error in the review. I had stated that IS didn't work at continuous shooting modes above 3.5fps. This was caused by a combination of mis-communication with Olympus and me mis-interpreting the results of my testing.

I've now re-tested the IS in continuous mode and revised the review accordingly. IS does work in continuous shooting mode, so the performance page has been revised and the 'Con' removed from the conclusion. The final score is unchanged, because the otherwise very good IS (especially in movie shooting) had given the camera a high score in that category, so the correction has limited impact on the overall total.

I apologise for the error and appreciate the user response that identified it.

Richard - dpreview.com

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?
Re: IS with Continuous Shooting - Review corrected.
In reply to Richard Butler, May 1, 2012

well done Richard

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,776
Like?

Your timely re-testing and response it greatly appreciated and commended.
--
Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong

Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,197
Like?

Great!

Richard many thanks to you and the team for reading user questions and digger deeper when needed.
--
terry
http://www.terrybanet.com

Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,356Gear list
Like?

Can you explain the "miscommunication" and the error in your testing, and how they impacted the reported results?
--

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +12 more
gdiver
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?

One less con is a good thing! How about a 1/2 point for that? Ha Ha.

gdiver's gear list:gdiver's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-M1
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Round 80.5 up to 81????
In reply to gdiver, May 1, 2012

gdiver wrote:

I love it!

Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366Gear list
Like?

I see that you also concurred with my find that the flash slow limit affects the auto iso shutter time limit (unfortunately it doesn't give you a full range but at least you get more than a fixed 1/60 second). Maybe half a percentage point there, too?

Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Yes we want 81 just like the NEX7
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 1, 2012

Just Having Fun wrote:

gdiver wrote:

I love it!

. . . 81 would give the OM-D some real EQUIVALENCE with the Sony flagship.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,970
Like?
In reply to Macx, May 1, 2012

Macx wrote:

I see that you also concurred with my find that the flash slow limit affects the auto iso shutter time limit (unfortunately it doesn't give you a full range but at least you get more than a fixed 1/60 second). Maybe half a percentage point there, too?

There's nowhere for things that minor to be factored into the scoring, so there's nothing I could change to reflect it.

Richard - dpreview.com

Macx
Like?

R Butler wrote:

Macx wrote:

There's nowhere for things that minor to be factored into the scoring, so there's nothing I could change to reflect it.

Richard - dpreview.com

I know, I kid.

aleksanderpolo
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?

Thank you. So without going back to the review, is the IS as effective in continuous mode as in single shot mode?

cmorse
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
missed a spot.

Olympus says the camera will only achive 4.2fps with IS Off, with IS limiting the frame rate to 3.5 fps.

(includes a spelling error as well)

cmorse's gear list:cmorse's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Jerodequin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,238Gear list
Like?

Thanks - are you also going to be adding the video of the live bulb mode in action soon? A couple of people seem to have mentioned that the quality of the final image for a long exposure in live bulb mode is not as good as that for standard bulb mode, would be great to see if this is indeed the case!

Jerodequin's gear list:Jerodequin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +14 more
Mark Thornton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,649Gear list
Like?
Pro needs editing too

"Built-in image stabilization helps increase number of sharp shots (in single-frame mode)"

The bit in parenthesis (from the pros section) should be deleted.

Mark

Mark Thornton's gear list:Mark Thornton's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-500 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,526
Like?
Question about IBIS and video

If you move the camera when shooting stills (panning, etc), you have to choose the correct IBIS setting or you will get blurry photos.

Is that also true with video? And if not, why not?

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

acahaya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008
Like?
Thanks, was starting to wonder if i had a special E-M5 version ;) (nt)
-- hide signature --
compositor20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,575
Like?
Re: Question about IBIS and video
In reply to Pikme, May 1, 2012

you said you couldnĀ“t set a minium shutter speed for auto iso but you can.. set flash sync at 1/250 or 1/125 and it will up the iso at that one or 1/30 if you like.

Please test Continuos Autofocus with vivid setting as a user said....

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,934Gear list
Like?
Thank you Richard- and a request for high ISo/low light

Thank you so much Richard for responding to user feedback. I feel it's great when authors/ reviewers do so

I have one request, if I may: is there any chance dpreview could try an assorted set of low

Light shots in mixed light real world conditions at Iso 3200-12800? Even just 6400 would do

I am very interested to see how the em5 handles these as it's one of the type of shootings I do the most (street night life). The current high ISO shots in the gallery aren't really low light to me with two ISO 6400's with a 1/4000ths shutter speeds.

For reference: (basically looking for ISP 6400 at f2.8 with 1/30 to 1/60 shutter):

I understand you guys are pretty busy so if it can't be done I understand. I just could not get a feel for high ISO performance from the review though it sure looks promising over what Olympus currently had.

Thanks again

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Macx
Like?
Re: Question about IBIS and video
In reply to Pikme, May 1, 2012

Pikme wrote:

If you move the camera when shooting stills (panning, etc), you have to choose the correct IBIS setting or you will get blurry photos.

Is that also true with video? And if not, why not?

I haven't tested this, so take it for what it is, but I believe that is not true with video for the reason that the translational axis IBIS (up-down, side-to-side) is automatically off during video, hence the less noise. Instead the IBIS system retains the rotational axis (pitch, yaw, roll) and a digital image stabilization similar to what's used in the Pen cameras takes care of the translational axis.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads