Nikon needs to FIRE employees related to D4/D800/E Release

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
Mishamoo
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: Oh why must you all have to HAVE THAT CAMERA NOW!
In reply to Tim O'Connor, May 2, 2012

Unfortunately, some of us cannot. I have no existing digital SLR. I've been waiting to upgrade since rumors of the D700x emerged more than two years ago. I thought the supply would be there when pre-orders were announced for deliveries the following month.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,922Gear list
Like?
you're wrong sorry
In reply to JeffWu, May 2, 2012

you're wrong on so many counts that it boggles the mind, sorry

firstly, you seem to assume that you're the smart guy and that Nikon executives can't run a company. That's a big arrogant assumption to make, especially given their quite stunning track record both on the product, and on the financial, fronts.

second, you state that it's a scandal that Nikon can't even quote availability dates for back orders. Well, sorry to rain on your parade but this is something that, at best, only fully-integrated companies, both upstream (manuf.) and downstream (distrib.) can sometimes do. Well here, not sure you're aware but (1) Nikon buy a lot of the components, and (2) Nikon don't direct sell. It is thus materially impossible for them to quote any precise date for delivery. But you, the self-appointed "expert", don't seem to understand this.

oh, and there is that bit about the fact that no one can read customers' minds...

third, you attempt to give us, and I guess also Nikon executives, a lesson in "economics". You suppose that demand will wane if demand is not immediately satisfied (but there are no replacement products available, and product cycle on FX cameras is easily 3 years so you don't sound right). And you complain about Time Value of Money - as if ANY single professional did not already own one camera, more probably several cameras - in other words no one will be forgoing revenues because they don't own a D800.

fourth, you explain how if you were a Nikon shareholder, you would "demand answers". Well, firstly no one has to be a Nikon shareholder - most investors actuelly steer away from consumer electronics and similar because returns tend to be low, and volatile. But within such companies, Nikon actually have quite a stunning track record both in terms of growth, and in terms of profitability. This statement makes it sound like you don't have much idea about what investors might be expecting, or what they might be judging management about.

bottom-line is that your rant makes you look, not at all like the "expert" you claim to be, but like a poorly informed, aggressive person whose rant doesn't even have any merit.

If I had ANY criticism for Nikon management, it would be this: why haven't you yet come up with a nice, superb mirrorless camera? And they might reply that their cash flows are not infinite, and that the stunning success of the D800 proves that they were right to not rush the eventual switch to mirrorless. Unlike what you claim, these guys seem very smart.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 507Gear list
Like?
Re: This is a joke

What does JIT of components have to do with assembly at Nikon by experience trained people? Sony would have done the same thing with sensors. They won't build a line that would fall to a fraction of it's output after the first 6-8 months.

So...yes I have heard of JIT. It has everything to do with getting parts to the factory and very little to do with the final product. JIT of final product would mean building a big inventory and would defeat the purpose of JIT.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
JeffWu
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: you're wrong sorry
In reply to antoineb, May 2, 2012

On May 10th, we will see if I am wrong, when the Nikon Corp. releases its fiscal year ended March 31, 2012 annual report. I think it will say something like sales were robust, but operating margins continue to shrink. Interesting to see if Nikon management addresses gaining market share on DSLRs for FY '13 - they've made market share related to compact digital and Nikon 1s a priority, especially in developing markets, since those are the only spots where growth might still be realizable, in this product segment. This is a mistake - compact digital will not be as robust as Nikon forecasts in developing countries, b/c products from Apple and Google (Motorola Mobile and phones based on Android) will quickly decimate any appreciable appetite for Nikon compact digital products.

My guess is that Nikon willl increasingly focus on products out of Thailand (i.e., cheaper products) b/c they will depend on those to drive growth. They will not likely make a big deal out of products out of Sendai (i.e., D4/D800/E) because while everyone here might be waiting on those products, they represent a very small portion of the Company's overall growth. Also, b/w Canon and Nikon, they pretty much own the market in high-end, professional level DSLRs b/c of their extensive array of lenses. That's arrogant b/c competition is coming in the form of mirrorless bodies (Sony) and other new sensor technologies, once the corresponding lenses acheive sufficient saturation and acceptance. Personally, I am very impressed with the NEX-5n (don't have the NEX-7 yet) in terms of its compact form factor and image quality.

IMHO, Nikon is too slow to react to changes in market conditions, and that was the entire point of the original post - NOT to rant about not having a Nikon D4/800/E body. In the end, only time will tell if I am correct.

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Re: Nikon needs to FIRE employees related to D4/D800/E Release

At the moment the most important thing for Nikon is to be able to put DSLR's on the market that can AF accurately

If they can't do that with a £3000 camera we're in big trouble!

D800
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, May 3, 2012

and also fix the defective ones that already shipped instead of denial of the AF issue.

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

At the moment the most important thing for Nikon is to be able to put DSLR's on the market that can AF accurately

If they can't do that with a £3000 camera we're in big trouble!

Clark Hampton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,836Gear list
Like?
Nikon UP 8.65% Nikkei DOWN 3.37% since D800 launch
In reply to Sylvain Larive, May 3, 2012

not bad.

Clark Hampton's gear list:Clark Hampton's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
Clark Hampton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,836Gear list
Like?
you know those 3 year olds in the grocery store...
In reply to JeffWu, May 3, 2012

and their mother won't let them have the candy and they drop to the floor crying and screaming?

Clark Hampton's gear list:Clark Hampton's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,922Gear list
Like?
now you make sense

Now that you talk rationally, without insulting people or making major errors in your reasoning, or arguing that Nikon are idiots because you're not getting your D800 soon and that this stops your world from turning, you start to make some sense.

Whatever the shape of the Nikon financial results this year, the fact remains that their management team have done a pretty good job in terms of products and financials, and thus really really do NOT deserve the insults you threw at them, not to mention suggesting that lots of people should be fired - hardly the style of any responsible business leader.

Indeed and like I also said, Nikon are potentially late to the mirrorless party and that's possibly a risk. But it's not so easy: clearly the day they come up with a quality mirrorless, they'll be cannibalizing their own DSLR sales.

For any company this is always tricky: do it too soon and you shoot yourself in the foot, do it too late and others have shot you in the foot.

You're right that the D800 is a small part of sales but I'm betting it's a much larger part of profits.

Now the 3200 is out and Nikon would probably hate to kill it with a decent mirrorless.

But I bet that quite a few Board meetings indeed consider this issue.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Peter v.d Werf
Contributing MemberPosts: 644
Like?

JeffWu wrote:

Let me explain some basic economics to people

I'm on the edge of my seat now...:)

right now, Nikon is facing what's called a shortage of the quantity demanded of D4s/D800s/Es. What will soon happen is that Nikon will begin to see a shift of fundamental demand, as potential customers seek alternatives.

1) That suggests alternatives being available. Right now no other manufacturer produces a comparable 36MP camera

2) It isn't like not having a new camera is a life/death situation or render a photographer without income....... Most buyers of D4/D800 camera will allready have a pro/prosumer grade camera, and while waiting is annoying for everybody, it isn't like the current camera suddenly produces bad results. While reading forums like this would almost make you think otherwise, in real life, current cameras will this produce the same excellent results as they did the last years...

Maybe just a few users who threw their D700 in the trash the moment they ordered the D800 will have an issue.. Or maybe a few first time buyers will indeed get a MarkIII.

For the rest, every single camera that is produces is sold instantly. That itself is quite an achievement for 3-6000euro cameras....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads