Nikon needs to FIRE employees related to D4/D800/E Release

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
ShootDuringTwilight
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Well said.
In reply to weinschela, May 1, 2012

This guys is just a pseudo-intellectual throwing out what he learnt in B-school. He seems to have no clue on how the real world works.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard Khanlian
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Re: Nikon needs to FIRE employees related to D4/D800/E Release
In reply to JeffWu, May 1, 2012

Has anyone stopped to consider that Nikon factories in both Japan and Thailand suffered disastrous flooding last year, with the loss not only of facilities and equipment, but with some workers losing their lives, homes and family members? Let's show a little patience and sense of proportion, folks.
--
Richard

andreben
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
Re: This is a joke

JeffWu wrote:

You ever heard of Just-In-Time mfg.? It's been around for about 20-years ... actually, now come to think of it, it was the Japanese that were preaching this to US companies. Hmm, ... as a modern mfg. company, Nikon should be able to scale up and down its supply chain, depending on the demand it sees for its various products ... see this is supposed to work both ways.

Interestingly, the natural disaster in Japan last year have had several Japanese manufacturers realize the vulnerability of just-in-time deliveries, and the trend these days is to move towards a smaller local inventory of critical parts rather than "absolute" JiT. Interestingly, what we're seeing in many other "parts supply limited" industries (semiconductor, assembly) is that local inventory is outsourced to a "local" supply chain hub, so that there would be, say, half a day inventory on-site, a couple of days inventory at the off-site outsourced supply chain partner, the rest being "JiT" from the individual vendors into the outsourced off-site hub. I don't know how Nikon operates, though..

Cheers,
Andreas

Linthicum
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
In reply to Richard Khanlian, May 1, 2012

The issue that remains lacking is a decent and honest response from the Nikon management. People are sympathetic and understanding where the situation dictates it but we don't really know anything. Most American Corporations would issue a statement from management. People may not like the response but most will shut up for a while. Make all the excuses you want to for Nikon but it will fall on a deaf ear until they come out with a professional statement. It's just not the way you treat your customers (period !)

scbscb
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: Nikon needs to FIRE employees - customer relations

I'm an electrical engineer working for a large multi-national manufacturer (no, not Nikon!). I don't know much about the intricacies of marketing policies, supply and demand, shareholder value, manufacturing planning, etc. What I do know is that our company is constantly focusing on the ultimate customer, satisfying their needs, and resonding to issues as they arise. No matter where you stand on the rights and wrongs of these policies, and whether Nikon should or should not increase manufacturing capacity, etc., I would like to suggest that in not keeping their customers informed, Nikon have shown that they have little concern for their customers and have committed a very serious PR mistake.

JeffWu
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

You're right of course. This started as a musing in a vacuum, as to how a modern mfg. company got demand so wrong, and then was unable to reconfigure its mfg. processes to meet that "unprecedented demand." It was more a commentary on Nikon management than anything else. But yes, the human tragedy does overshadow the triumphant debut of a long awaited product.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to weinschela, May 1, 2012

Well said. I think there is something else people don't think of often enough. When Nikon creates a new professional level camera there is a need to get out quickly into the hands of professionals, who are the people it was designed for and the people who will make or break its reputation. That is the area where Nikon needs to get the jump on competition. If they held the release until there were enough cameras that everyone could buy off the shelf you can imagine the problem that creates competitively.

To the OP: Do you realize just how bad it looks for a grown person to be so enamored and desperate for a new product that they would rant this way? It is beyond childish. If you have all the Nikon gear you say, there is nothing preventing you from taking amazing photos right now. Try to hold your water. You will have one soon enough, unless you get hit by a bus or something.

hanoiboy
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?

Ordered my non nps nikon d800e 3days after the announcement. In just a few days it should be in my hands. I tend to support smaller family own business even thou its in another state. What ever happened to the days when we all knew ourr sales rep by his or her first name.

surlyviking
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
Re: John Maynard Keynes theory of free market economy failed. Why are you still prea
In reply to Ed Overstreet, May 1, 2012

It's exactly the opposite of course. Keynes fell out of favor in the 1970's in comparison to Friedman and similar thinkers. However removing regulation failed miserably and Bush and Obama ran back to Keynes when the economy collapsed to avoid a depression.

danbar
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
In reply to BackInTheGame, May 1, 2012

That may be true about getting the D4 into the hands of "professionals", but I am pretty sure that "amateurs" outnumber "professionals" by orders of magnitude....you must satisfy your largest audience also

antonoat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,559
Like?

Limited supply actually creates demand simple as!

If supply equalled demand there would be no demand.

Nikon are far smarter than you I think.

Kind regards

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,547Gear list
Like?
The source of the issue may be different that what you think
In reply to JeffWu, May 2, 2012

It's the battery recall that messing up Nikon's plan. No battery, no D800/D800e available !

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
ott77n
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?
In reply to weinschela, May 2, 2012

weinschela wrote:

JeffWu, thank you for your post. [...] I am happy you are not in charge of Nikon. If you are in charge of some other company, would you kindly let us know -- I would go right out and short your stock.

+1

ott77n
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?
Re: Not too bright

JeffWu wrote:

This is not a Ferrari or a Patek Phillipe (one of a kind items) - these are mass produced glorified CPUs with digital light sensors

Yes, those digital light sensors.

As a member of the fine financial industry in the US,[...] I work with a multinational company now that has the same issue regarding meeting demand ...

They are so lucky to have you!

Fostereast
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?

What a waste of Electrons! 1) Read the Annual Reports. 2) Did you know there was a Tsunami last year that had an almost catastrophic effect on Nikon's parts suppliers and key manufacturing facilities?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to danbar, May 2, 2012

So are you saying they should have waited months to release the camera? Wait until they had enough for everyone? That makes absolutely no sense. You said it, we are amateurs. Why is it so important that we have the camera immediately? Given the limited capabilities for Nikon to produce pro level cameras, and the D800 is a pro camera, what could possibly be done to make sure that a new D800/E is quickly in the hands of every person who feels him/herself of presidential importance?

People are being totally irrational about this. It is childish, and it is totally unreasonable. The authors of some of these juvenile rant threads should be embarrassed.

stormshadow
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
Re: This is a joke
In reply to danidentity, May 2, 2012

+1 Exactly !!!! Could not agree more

scbscb
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Fostereast, May 2, 2012

So if the Tsunami was last year, and if they knew their suppliers and supply lines were disrupted, and if they knew they couldn't deliver product, what excuse do they have for announcing the launch in February?

erniej
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
In reply to BackInTheGame, May 2, 2012

At least your response isn't myopic, self centered, egotistical and as irrational as the OP's.

erniej's gear list:erniej's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,555Gear list
Like?
Re:Nikon hit a home run

I understand the frustration of waiting customers but this is like the Japan of old where their products were massively in demand and waitlists were common.
I am not sure if they have experienced that for some time.

Nikon has done an incredible job - management -wise.

Their Sendai Plant was wiped out by the Tsunami and I read they had it sorted within 3 weeks (not sure if that is true) and US$900 million.

Their Thai plant was damaged by massive floods.

Yet they have released several new models, before Canon, better than Canon with more to be released. They make Canon look lazy which I am sure they are not.

I imagine a new product must always feel a bit like a gamble to management. I doubt it is ever clear until after it is released how popular it will be. Hi-Tech markets are a bit fussy.

What if the reaction to the camera was oh its horrible, files are large and who wants 36mp? Demand could have been poor.

A new factory probably costs over $1 billion. Not a decision to take lightly on the basis of one model that is doing well.

Greg.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads