Nikon needs to FIRE employees related to D4/D800/E Release

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
JeffWu
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Nikon needs to FIRE employees related to D4/D800/E Release
May 1, 2012

If I am in the C-suite at Nikon, I am seriously considering firing executives charged with the release of the Nikon D4/800/E models. Beyond the fact that they seem to have NO information to share with customers related to the availability of inventory to fill backorders, which is in and of itself unforgivable for a for-profit company, they act like it's no big deal - they just underestimated demand.

Let me explain some basic economics to people - right now, Nikon is facing what's called a shortage of the quantity demanded of D4s/D800s/Es. What will soon happen is that Nikon will begin to see a shift of fundamental demand, as potential customers seek alternatives. Once fundamental demand wanes, then you're stuck carrying a lot of excess supply. You see, Apple, Inc. has it down to a science ... they create just the necessary amount of hype for their products, but they do not restrict supply so much as to cause fundamental demand for a product to shift down. Even if demand for the D4/D800/E camera bodies stays constant, there is an issue of TVM. If I was a shareholder of Nikon Corp., I am thinking that my assets are not being deployed optimally to bring in cash now!!! They (Nikon) have backorders to fill, but by no means does that mean they will be booking revenues on those backorders. As a Nikon shareholder, I would be demanding some serious answers from my corporate managers, and there would be hell to pay for the error in forecasts or whatever is happening over there in Japan. From a macroeconomic view, as a country that is solely dependent on exports, and has lost more than a decade to stagnation, this is not a good sign from a microeconomic level.

While I am a rather upset customer with a substantial investment in Nikon glass, and the inability to purchase a camera body that I "preordered" on Feb. 7th, at 9:11am EST, from B&H Photo & Video, one of the largest retailers in the US, I would be infinitely more upset if I were a shareholder of Nikon. Because the one thing that I hate more than not being able to purchase a camera body is to read bad financial statements, which could have been avoided.

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PhotoTechBlog
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Re: Nikon needs to FIRE employees related to D4/D800/E Release
In reply to JeffWu, May 1, 2012

So did you cancel your order, sell your glass, and make the switch to Canon? If not, then Nikon will get your money and their profits just the same as everyone else. They will sell every D800 they produce for a long time to come, and reap the benefit on the bottom line. Let's wait and see what the next quarter results look like, I suspect Nikon will be doing quite well this year despite people having to wait for their cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 560Gear list
Like?

Wishful thinking. There is no equivalent substitute camera to the D800 and Nikon will fill the orders before any come out on the market.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 560Gear list
Like?
In reply to kenwj, May 1, 2012

Also...the shareholders will be quite happy with Nikon's annual report this year.

Look at it this way...if these cameras were readily available right now there would probably not be much special about them.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,456Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoTechBlog, May 1, 2012

I agree this isn't the way for a modern manufacturing company to work, and I'm getting frustrated as well.

My company sells to Japan and they do not take these things lightly. We had to write apology letters, had the president 'recalled' to explain the situation and all. We do update delivery estimates regularly and explain the reasons for delays - which are often out of our control, quality problems of parts, late deliveries of suppliers, and yes, sometimes engineering problems. We fess up and try our best to keep the information flowing.
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"

If you write more posts than take pictures, are you a photographer, or something else?

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Yes, because the people who buy the D4 and D800, who have thousands invested in lenses and flashes have to suddenly stop working because their D3s and D700s no longer function.

I think the people who howl about changing professional grade camera systems exist a plenty on the internet but are comparatively rare in real life.

Nikon, like all manufacturers, doesn't have an infinitely large pipeline. If some genius on the board suggested building factories to satisfy peak demand rather than demand averaged over the product lifecycle, well, he'd not be on the board for long.
--
I like the colours. Your camera takes good pictures.

The Andy G's gear list:The Andy G's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,612
Like?

I believe the shortage is due to Nikon realizing the clear issues with the D800. They are stalling and trying to fix the problems.

danidentity
Contributing MemberPosts: 737
Like?
This is a joke

Your rant just shows your ignorance.

Nikon's financial results this year will probably be the best they've ever had. Currently they are selling every single camera they can produce, and this will likely continue for most, if not all of the year. There will be no "demand shift" as your post alludes to. The people complaining on this forum are a tiny sliver of the entire population of consumers. Just because people haven't received pre-orders, doesn't mean their existing cameras don't work.

Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,456
Like?

JeffWu wrote:

If I am in the C-suite at Nikon, I am seriously considering firing executives charged with the release of the Nikon D4/800/E models. Beyond the fact that they seem to have NO information to share with customers related to the availability of inventory to fill backorders, which is in and of itself unforgivable for a for-profit company, they act like it's no big deal - they just underestimated demand.

It's no big deal - it's just a camera.

I would be infinitely more upset if I were a shareholder of Nikon. Because the one thing that I hate more than not being able to purchase a camera body is to read bad financial statements, which could have been avoided.

Nikon is selling every D800/D800E/D4 they have the capacity to produce.
Good for shareholders, bad for the gotta-have-it-now-or-I-throw-a-tantrum crowd.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?
Pathetic n/t
-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D800, EOS 450D
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
mudakas
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
In reply to kenwj, May 1, 2012

That's why they (Nikon) so arrogant

kenwj wrote:

There is no equivalent substitute camera to the D800 and Nikon will fill the orders before any come out on the market.

Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,923Gear list
Like?
And you need to...

.... to relax and shoot with what you have.

If waiting for a bloody camera 2 months makes you wish that some guys are fired, you have a problem. Whether you get your d800 in march or in may is irrelevant except for your consumer ego..

So, get on with your life and see what it is: Just a photo taking computer with lens attached.

bernie

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
 beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Sigma DP2s Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?

It is far too common for every company to be somehow compared to what has become perhaps the most successful company in the world (Apple), regardless of industry.

The two companies are nothing alike (in terms of products, product life cycle, competition, culture, etc.) and the comparison doesn't fit.

Could Nikon do a better job of communicating availability? Sure, but the other side of this is that they may not have received all the pre-orders in the first place if everyone knew they would wait months for delivery. Also, the retailers themselves benefit from this uncertainty as well. Many consistently blame Nikon for the lack of communication but go ahead and ask B&H or any of the larger retailers where you fall in line, their average number of deliveries per week, etc. and I bet they will not divulge this information.

I purchased a D4 through Best Buy's website (with no preorder) due to my previous experience in trying to find various other Nikon products (18-200 years ago, D700, 24-70, etc). Educating yourself as a consumer and spending your money in a way that provides you the most benefit sends a stronger message than any forum posting like this.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,201Gear list
Like?
Feel Better? BTW, they are prolly getting raises.

Public ranting is not a good way to vent. Gets your blood pressure up and makes you look a bit foolish. Dude, It's a camera. This basically happens with every Pro Nikon rollout. Which you should know, seeing as you have so much Nikon pro equipment.

Nikon produced a sub 3000 camera that is second to none, and every one wants one. So man up, hug your wife and kids, enjoy your old equipment until your new one comes. Or switch to canon. Oh, yeah, they are not widely available either. And probably not due to demand

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
Dennis Watts
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
Re: And you need to...
In reply to Bernie Ess, May 1, 2012

It seems that most of the posters to this thread are missing the point.

There are a multitude of reasons why these cameras are coming out slowly. Whether it's 2 natural disasters, very complex design, new governmental regulations (batteries), etc. as a Nikon shooter I'm just glad that they're coming out at all! It gives me hope that the company that I love will be around for a long time.

The point is there is a definite appearance that the company doesn't love us anymore. This is not uncommon when a company produces something that is widely considered to be the best. It's happened to multiple corporations throughout history. These companies feel that they don't have to worry about customer issues, or impressions. We are the best so who cares. Throughout history companies that have fallen into this trap either disappear, or are relegated into a specialty market position, and not a market leader. If I plan on owning Nikon stock for the next 5 years I would not be worried, but for the next 20 years I would definitely be worried.

Some of the reasons that point to Nikon's lack of concern about customer impressions.
1. Raising the price of the product before it's even readily available.
2. Not providing information about supply a regular basis.

3. Removing features that were previously advertised from the product (Capture NX 2).

Whether Nikon cares or not there is definitely the impression out there that they don't. If you don't believe me try asking them questions sometime...

"the D800E USA model will not have the Capture NX2 software included as a bundle like the D800E in Europe."

that answer tells me that they've given no effort into addressing this issue. And that lack of effort tells me they really don't care.

Dennis Watts's gear list:Dennis Watts's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +4 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,665
Like?
Let me introduce you to a successful telescope company

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?availability/availability

Astro-Physics is a company in Illinois that makes some of the highest quality amateur telescopes in the USA. They and Takahashi are the premier telescope companies for amateurs around the world. There are a few small companies who also make fine amateur telescopes, but Astro-Physics and Takahashi are the leaders.

For more than a decade, there has been a waiting list to get an Astro-Physics telescope. Wait time can vary from six months to over a year.

They are doing fine as a company.

They are much smaller than Nikon, but then Nikon is much much much smaller than Apple.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Jrobe
Regular MemberPosts: 417
Like?
Sounds like my 3 year old.

I want everything and I want it now. Grow up.

Harry Sinniah
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: Sounds like my 3 year old.
In reply to Jrobe, May 1, 2012

My friend do not be fooled, do they really care about small fry like you and me? Look at the large picture they have orders that may carry them well thru next year which means all those executives that you want fired and getting a BIG FAT BONUS as the end of this year....

You still have not understood management in the corporate world, its all self serving

Harry Sinniah's gear list:Harry Sinniah's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Ed Overstreet
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
John Maynard Keynes theory of free market economy failed. Why are you still preachin

John Maynard Keynes theory of free market economy failed. Why are you still preaching it.

If you so frostedf, why not direct your attention to Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Bank of America, Enron, Leaman Brothers, and the Feds. Had they not screwed with your money, economic models might just offer some demand models that manufacturers could hand their hat on.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads