No D400 = bye bye Nikon?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
Antoine Palade
Contributing MemberPosts: 589
Like?
No D400 = bye bye Nikon?
May 1, 2012

Nikon fan here. Loved my D300/D300s but went to D7000 for better IQ and smaller form factor. I thought compromise in ergonomics would be acceptable, which it was, barely. But...

1. Buffer size in high frame rate on D7000 is a joke;

2. AF is inconsistent. I tried everything, from using C-AF with 9-points, micro-adjusting my lenses, which all back-focused, to sending the camera to Nikon for servicing. Sometimes I would get sharp images, like when I would focus on the closest eye on my model, and sometimes - the next shot and all things being equal - it would not be sharp and back-focused. Never had these issues with the D300/D300s...

This has reached the point where I am letting go of my D7000. I don't want to go FF because, having done it in the past with a D700, it's totally another ball game: new lenses, loose the crop factor with zooms, FX lenses are expensive (i.e. 24-70 f2.8), the weight is ridiculous for a non-pro like me, 36MP is too much and, finally, you become very "visible" in public with an FX camera and associated lenses. This last point is not that insignificant, in an age like today where people are suspicious, to a high degree because of terrorism, of people taking photos of things.

So with nowhere to go after my D7000 and with a D400 nowhere in sight, I have two choices: wait for that elusive D400, or switch to another brand. I am currently looking at the OM-D and X-Pro1. Not the same - better in some ways (i.e. size and weight), worse in other ways - but both probably enough of a camera for an amateur like me.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D300 Nikon D40 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,546
Like?
Re: No D400 = bye bye Nikon?
In reply to Antoine Palade, May 1, 2012

seems you were happy with D300/s. Going back would likely make you happy again until other products arrive Nikon......

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarceloLI
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,808Gear list
Like?

I did returned 3 Nikon D7000 for the same problems you state and now I'm using a D300 while I wait for the D400.

All the rumors around the web indicate the next Nikon announcement will be a FF camera and still no showing any indication of the D400... even rumors.

If Nikon decide to abandon the DX Pro models the market will be flooded of DX lens because people (pro and advanced amateurs) will be jumping to FX.

I don't think I want to go FF so there is no options for me than go with the 7D.

I'm waiting but not more than this Fall to make a decision about my gear.

Marcelo

-- hide signature --

MarceloLI's gear list:MarceloLI's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +14 more
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Have you sent the D7k in to Nikon?

That would be the first thing I would do

I tried to avoid the D7k issues by buying a D90 as a stop gap, sadly I've had to send that in for inconsistent AF today and service under warranty.

I hope they can fix the issue, if not it's going to get ejected and I'll probably have to bite the bullet and get a D300s as I can't be without a body.

I will have to see on that one but something is making me wonder if Nikon are having some issues at the factory, evidently the D800 has had AF problems with some batches.

Of course I'd love to consider a D7k..I wonder if the AF problems are just lousy QC at the factory, or a problem with the AF unit. My D90 was doing exactly the same (entirely different AF sensor) inconsistent and back focus with all my lenses. If the problem can get fixed it's worth sending it in IMO. I'd still try that route first before anything else.

As for the lack of up to date APS-C pro level body, well it's unfortunate because quite a few folks are waiting on that.

njtrout2000
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you sent the D7k in to Nikon?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, May 1, 2012

Not to start a "flame" war, but is it the camera or the photographer? I had an F2 until someone stole it 5 years ago. Probably would still be using film had that not occurred.

Replaced that with a new D200 and have been happy with image quality, focusing etc ever since. I have no need to upgrade because I am in control of my camera and not letting my camera control me.

My 2 cents.

NJTrout

njtrout2000's gear list:njtrout2000's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nik Color Efex Pro Apple iPhone 4S Apple iPad 2 +5 more
Barry Fitzgerald
Like?
In reply to njtrout2000, May 1, 2012

njtrout2000 wrote:

Not to start a "flame" war, but is it the camera or the photographer? I had an F2 until someone stole it 5 years ago. Probably would still be using film had that not occurred.

Replaced that with a new D200 and have been happy with image quality, focusing etc ever since. I have no need to upgrade because I am in control of my camera and not letting my camera control me.

Well I've only had a brief hands on with the D7k so I can't give a fair fair of the AF situation with that body.

But..

I've used the D90 enough (and many other SLR's film and digital) to know when an AF problem is a real one. When you focus on the front of the shed and the back part it's focus and the front isn't..then it kinda hits you something is a bit wrong

I'd love to say it's settings truth is for my camera it didn't nail it whatever you did settings wise. The D7k complaints look worryingly similar to what I experienced, and of course it's completely unsatisfactory for the end user.

It's ok to point it out, but I see a lot of threads saying it was the users fault, but if you're using single point AF-S and you've an easy target AF shot and it misses, it's quite difficult to put it down to user error.

Too many users on the "other" Nikon forum casually dismiss the AF issues as user error, sure in some cases maybe..but most nah I don't buy it.

tsitalon1
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, May 1, 2012

larrywilson wrote:

I don't buy it either. I've shot all kinds of cameras and my d7000 had inconsistant af. I could not count on it. One day I went out to shoot the yellow legged wadding bird and never got a good sharp focused animal. The day was drab and the bird is not colorful so the af was not picking up the bird for whatever reason. I went back to using my d3s to get good focused images.

Larry

100000% agree.

I sold mine, and as far as I am concerned, Nikon should be somewhat ashamed for the inconsistent AF performance of the D7000.

I agree, if the D400 doesn't come out, I will look elsewhere as well since I'm not heavily invested in lenses at the moment.

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,877
Like?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, May 1, 2012

I don't buy it either. I've shot all kinds of cameras and my d7000 had inconsistant af. I could not count on it. One day I went out to shoot the yellow legged wadding bird and never got a good sharp focused animal. The day was drab and the bird is not colorful so the af was not picking up the bird for whatever reason. I went back to using my d3s to get good focused images.

Larry

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,199Gear list
Like?
I have over $30,000 in Nikon specific equipment...

And that is depreciated value. So I'll still be shooting Nikon. But if there is no D400 and the EOS 7D successor is better than the D7000/D300s successor, I'll have a Canon camera and 600mm IS II lens.
--
Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,228Gear list
Like?
The next upgrade camera, D400/8D, that hits the market .......
In reply to JimPearce, May 1, 2012

.... is going to gather a lot of (currently Nikon) customers for Nikon or Canon. I'm sure that if present D300s users knew that a D400 DX was in the pipeline they'd hang out for its' release. Otherwise a "souped-up" 7D, released as an 8D or whatever, is likely to get a lot of converts. Wake up Nikon - don't drop the ball now.

Don't be inscrutable - don't keep your users in the dark about your intentions - let us know what's coming up.
--
Mike M. (emem)
http://www.veritasmea.com

Barry Fitzgerald
Like?
In reply to tsitalon1, May 2, 2012

tsitalon1 wrote:

100000% agree.

I sold mine, and as far as I am concerned, Nikon should be somewhat ashamed for the inconsistent AF performance of the D7000.

I agree, if the D400 doesn't come out, I will look elsewhere as well since I'm not heavily invested in lenses at the moment.

That's disappointing to hear this. Did anyone try to get Nikon to service their D7000's when they had these AF issues?

Some of the issues look quite worrying, we're not talking ultra low light action shots here where you expect some duff shots and missed AF ones.

I've seen static shots where the D7k can't nail it even fairly easy ones. Which is exactly what my D90 was suffering from, yet strangely my oldie DSLR's cope just fine (as do my 35mm ones)

I'm starting to think I might only get AF relief with a D300s..but I'll know more when my D90 comes back from service. I'd rather have a working D90 and sit on the cash and wait until something higher level APS-C arrives (or a D7100 that can AF nicely), but it's not great having lenses and flashes lying around waiting for your camera to get fixed

RomanJohnston
Forum ProPosts: 18,394Gear list
Like?
Re: No D400 = bye bye Nikon? = WHY?
In reply to Antoine Palade, May 2, 2012

If you are an amature....what is the D300 not doing that makes you need to get somthing instead of waiting for the D400?

I shoot and sell my work and still use the D300 (not even the S model).

Personally I would say if your so eager for better photography, try a workshop, or some classes in post processing on a site like Kelby Online....and when the D400 arrives, you will be able to transfer your new skills onto the new equipment. And even more than that...you will gain confidence in your work and have FUN.

Roman
--

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious; It is the source of all true art and science.
~ Albert Einstein

http://www.commercialfineart.com/

http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

vitamins
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to MarceloLI, May 2, 2012

Two of my friends bought 7D and its really an awesome camera, except that its a bit noisey. No doubt that the best DX camera in the world today is the 7D. I also have been waiting for the D400 or the D7100 (if there is any)

Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,040Gear list
Like?

:), so funny, I just did the opposite, I just went from my D7000 to the D300S and am much happier, IQ from my side is similar, high iso is similar and detail levels are similar I don't see any difference between the 2 camera's IQ, see pic at 3200 iso, I actually think the D7000 one is a bit more grainy than the D300S but IQ is seriously great from both, if you crop though you have more flexibility with the D7000.

I had too many issues with my D7000 (AF drove me mad, especially with my Tamron 70 to 300mm USD SP), got oil on the sensor, LCD died, massive backfocussing etc. The D300S (has been a revelation) AF is bril, using my Tammy on the D300S is like having a new lens (none of the hunting, focusing issues), and even at the long end the pics are great, see this sunbird at 300mm.

I doubt there will be a D300S replacement, only a D7100 or D8000.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +3 more
Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,040Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, May 2, 2012

Yip agree, I had the D7000 for a year and had problem after problem (LCD, oil stains on sensor AF issues), on the AF issue, yes people blame the user but on the D7k it was/is a camera issue in many instances.

I bought the Tammy 70 to 300mm USD VC lens and the lens would hunt all the time whether at 70 or 300mm, it was hugely frustrating, tried my 18 to 105mm and also had many out of focus shots, etc, almost got rid of the Tammy (which would have been a pity as its a great lens), but after the last issue (back focusing) on the D7k I got rid of it.

I asked Nikon (south africa) and the guy told me that they have had about 170 to 200 returns on the D7000, over a 14 month period (much higher than any of their other cams), but on the D300S they'd had 4 returns over a 3 year period. So I got me a D300S and the Tammy is a revelation on the D300S (no hunting, no AF issues) just brilliant. and no AF issues with the cam at all, I couldn't be happier...
--
Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +3 more
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,373
Like?
What I don't understand is...

...if you are looking at those small mirrorless cameras then the D400 is of no interest for you anyway. Once it will be out it will have the same form factor and weight as the D300s and since you found it too large and heavy the D400 won't work for you anyway, so why bother about it?

Get whatever works for you, but in my opinion the D300s is still the best of the ones you mentioned. I keep mine until something better comes along, the OMD and the Fuji are not it.

NikonScavenger
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?

I have a D7000 but routinely use my D300 because of the better and consistent AF performance. The D7k had also to be adjusted for AF issues by the factory service techs.

I prefer to use it when I'm taking fast action photographs where AF tracking is an issue, telephoto, and low light--these are areas my D7000 just can't touch it and nearly all photos are in focus. Before I had my D7k adjusted, all of my portraits were fuzzy whereas all were sharp on my D300. After the repair they are much better, but still I get weird results in low light.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with it once Nikon fixed it, or maybe I'm spoiled by a "really good" AF module that I just expect better results with less work from a "good enough" AF module.

PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,243
Like?

Antoine Palade wrote:

Nikon fan here. Loved my D300/D300s but went to D7000 for better IQ and smaller form factor. I thought compromise in ergonomics would be acceptable, which it was, barely. But...

2. AF is inconsistent. I tried everything, from using C-AF with 9-points, micro-adjusting my lenses, which all back-focused, to sending the camera to Nikon for servicing. Sometimes I would get sharp images, like when I would focus on the closest eye on my model, and sometimes - the next shot and all things being equal - it would not be sharp and back-focused. Never had these issues with the D300/D300s...

This has reached the point where I am letting go of my D7000. I don't want to go FF because, having done it in the past with a D700, it's totally another ball game: new lenses, loose the crop factor with zooms, FX lenses are expensive (i.e. 24-70 f2.8), the weight is ridiculous for a non-pro like me, 36MP is too much and, finally, you become very "visible" in public with an FX camera and associated lenses. This last point is not that insignificant, in an age like today where people are suspicious, to a high degree because of terrorism, of people taking photos of things.

So with nowhere to go after my D7000 and with a D400 nowhere in sight, I have two choices: wait for that elusive D400, or switch to another brand. I am currently looking at the OM-D and X-Pro1. Not the same - better in some ways (i.e. size and weight), worse in other ways - but both probably enough of a camera for an amateur like me.

If AF on moving subjects is important to you I cant see how you can consider those alternatives.
--
http://dslr-video.com/blogmag/

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,373
Like?
In reply to PerL, May 2, 2012

PerL wrote:

Antoine Palade wrote:

If AF on moving subjects is important to you I cant see how you can consider those alternatives.

...because of the size.

Anyway, if size and AF is important I'd look at the V1 if I was him. It is really amazing in terms of AF, very fast and accurate.

Gale Bizet
Forum ProPosts: 15,255Gear list
Like?
Re: No D400 = bye bye Nikon? = WHY?..right on Roman
In reply to RomanJohnston, May 2, 2012

only you said it nicer than what i was thinking:> )))
Wishing you a great summer and more great images
Cheers, pal
--
Nikon Gal
Best Regards
Gale

http://www.pbase.com/techwish

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads