ZS3 owners.....comparison to the Sony HX20V..

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
ZS3 owners.....comparison to the Sony HX20V..
May 1, 2012

As a ZS3 owner, this was really interesting to me.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1009&message=41389484

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (Lumix DMC-TZ7) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
trevmar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,385
Like?
Re: ZS3 owners.....comparison to the Sony HX20V..
In reply to superstar905, May 1, 2012

meh.. Somebody posted a ZS15 vs ZS3 low-light photo in this forum about a week ago. About the same difference as above in the HX20 - 1 stop. So I bought the ZS15. The panorama mode and HDR mode are worthwhile, as is the FullHD (but only if you don't need to record an event over 30 minutes).

My own experience? My ZS3 vs ZS15 sensitivity? About an F-stop favoring the ZS15. Which can make all the difference, sometimes...

But my LX5 in RAW is all over the ZS15 in JPG quality. No contest at all. The noise reduction in the ZS15 tends to become objectionable when pixel peeping... Even in movies...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
trevmar
Like?
In reply to trevmar, May 1, 2012

For example, here is a shot from my ZS15 of the Carnival Spirit docked in San Diego.

There was a little haze, although detail on the buildings in the background came out just fine. But the Carnival ship has an unsatisfying lack of definition which I blamed on Noise Reduction. Blues do not seem to be its strongpoint, whereas my old ZS3 did not disturb me with shots like this. But it is still running the old v1.1 firmware, prior to Panny's new heavy-handed noise reduction algorithms.

First the full image, then the Crop:

captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,558Gear list
Like?
In reply to trevmar, May 1, 2012

Thanks, Trev exactly what I wanted to know! Guess I'll be keeping my LX3 and my trusty old TZ4, after all!
Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,397
Like?
In reply to captura, May 2, 2012

I only trust tests I run my own self.

superstar905
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, May 3, 2012

Agreed, your own tests are usually the ones you trust the most, but good to see others share their findings, particularly for us ZS3 owners.

kernow
Forum ProPosts: 12,438
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 3, 2012

Surely as a ZS3 owner you know that your ZS3 outdoors and macro does much better than shown in the examples. Indoors isn't its strong point but mine seems to do better than shown, albeit nothing near the Sony.
--
Oll an gwella,
Jim

trevmar
Like?
In reply to kernow, May 3, 2012

Yes, I know my ZS3 does better under outdoor conditions, but the new ZS15 panorama mode is extremely easy to use, and adequately good. But my cellphone has a similarly good panorama capability. What persuaded me to buy a ZS15 was the extra 1 f-stop of sensitivity in low light over the ZS3 (and cellphone).

Most of my photos are taken indoors, and that f-stop gives my wife a little bit extra chance of getting a good shot. In any case, I am carrying the cellphone in my pocket, a Samsung Galaxy Note, so she would have to borrow it from me whenever she was scouting for a photo...

superstar905
Like?
In reply to kernow, May 3, 2012

Yes, absolutely. In fact, I've never had such poor results however sometimes looking at my own pictures in isolation I don't have the same perspective unless compared side by side with another.

But yes, I don't believe the ZS3 photos are as bad as this test suggests....

kernow wrote:

Surely as a ZS3 owner you know that your ZS3 outdoors and macro does much better than shown in the examples. Indoors isn't its strong point but mine seems to do better than shown, albeit nothing near the Sony.
--
Oll an gwella,
Jim

Jinwons
Senior MemberPosts: 1,043
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 3, 2012

I also think his ZS3 could have done better than those samples unless it's a defective one. Especially the clock one wasn't focused right. But ZS3~ZS7 struggle from ISO 800 indoors. So it's no wonder HX20V trumps it there.

I have ZS7 and ZS15. ZS15 easily handles ISO 800~1000 shots indoors, much better than ZS7. But ZS7 outdoor image sharpness is slightly better than ZS15. That is with NR setting lowered in ZS7 and there is way to adjust that in ZS15. I'm very curious how ZS15 vs HX20V turns out. I haven't seen direct comparison of them yet.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads