Canon EOS 7D Defective Focus / Soft Focus

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
tvstaff
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
Canon EOS 7D Defective Focus / Soft Focus
May 1, 2012

After having the Canon EOS 7D for a year and using the 50mm, 17-55 and 200mm lenses I have found the 7D to have many defects in Focus and having to fix about 90+% of my shots in post-production. It is a rare event when a photo comes spot on in any setting with any lens.

After reading the 100's of posts about soft focus or defective focus in the Canon 7D I'm sorry to hear that Canon has not sent out a recall to those who own this body.

After reading about people get 3 to 4 7D's with the same issue and at times given used beat up equipment to replace their new products. I'm wondering what is going on. Has anyone else had to deal with this defect and if so were you EVER able to have the issue fixed as some people state that AFTER repair it reverts back to out of focus pictures.. Thank you

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +13 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tvstaff
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 7D Defective Focus / Soft Focus
In reply to tvstaff, May 1, 2012

Please note that both of these above photos taken on the Canon 7D were shapened as much as possible after they were taken and as you can see... they both suffer from soft focus, out of focus issues.

Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JTAnFIA
Contributing MemberPosts: 625
Like?

I see this is your first thread and you are loading gallery photos as I type.
What focus mode are you using?
Are the people/paintings in the gallery handheld?

Have you checked the sharpness of your lenses while the camera is mounted on a tripod in a controlled environment?

Why on earth would you keep a camera for over a year if 90% of your shots were OOF?
--
Fish are evil

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,474
Like?

Very hard to tell from the pictures you posted.

Where does DPP show you focal point to be in the first picture? Are you using the 19 point auto focus?

The second picture was shot at f1.8 and it isn't clear what you were trying to photograph. Any movement at that aperture (shallow DOF) would throw you off.

jbarber
Contributing MemberPosts: 698
Like?

Why would my 7D need a recall when it doesn't have this problem?

James

balloonchasers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,186
Like?

You have not read 100's of posts from people that are getting results anything near to what you are getting. If you did then every one of them have already sent their cameras in and had them fixed or replaced. No one would put up with 90% of their images looking like your second image.

I see nothing wrong with the first image and if you can some how make the second image look even close to as in focus as the first image... then you are a photoshop guru!

-- hide signature --

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c If you find any extra letters, please place them here for future use...

tvstaff
Like?
In reply to VisualNectarPhotography, May 1, 2012

Since I'm using a single point focus and not 19 point focus it seems that the focus should work. Some shots are hand held, others on tripod. All focus option garner the same results.

Get same soft focus and out of focus results from 50mm 1.8 and 17-155mm 2.8 and 200mm 4.5

Some might return the camera right away if they had just one camera.

Some doubt that so many people are also having focus issues with the Canon 7D .

So I'm going to take the time get 100's of links and post them so they can be SEO optimized. It should turn into a royal bashing of those seeking help, if this forum is any indication of the personal attacks a person gets for posting about the 7D's defective focusing that I've had personal exp with.

Best case will be getting all these posts about the defective focus issues with the Canon EOS 7D to the top of all the search engines when people are shopping so they can return their 7D before it's too late.

delmore
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?

The first photo - I can't tell if it is soft focus, and massive sharpening doesn't help. The second photo, why even post it? Words could have explained the focus was way off. Why would anyone waste a moment sharpening such an obviously out of focus image? There is a credibility question with the photographer, imho.

Is it set in servo mode? Please, have an experienced photographer try out the camera and post those images. Best bet is to go to a reputable Canon dealer on a slow day and let the salesperson take some snapshots in the store. If it is the problem with the camera and it wasn't returned within the warranty period - shame on you.

VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
In reply to balloonchasers, May 1, 2012

I would have sent it back within the first 2 days of owning it had I noticed this issue with my camera. I tested it very thoroughly.

If I had to send it in for repairs and it came back and the problem persisted then I would have called canon support and demanded a new body, and I wouldn’t stop until they agreed. The fact of the matter is it is up to you to test and confirm that what you bought is indeed working within specs. It is not our problem that you didn’t decide to do anything about your problem. Obviously you don’t make any money off your photography because if you were you would have already addressed this. Therefore you’re an amateur enthusiast (and that’s being generous) who bought a 7D so that you can look cool, not so that you can take professional photos.

This is the first time that I shall call upon the “ignore user button”
--

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
RCederholm
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
Love my sharp 7D

Can't say I have similar results at all. My 7D is super sharp and the only time I have had poor results, I pretty much just have to look in the mirror for why it happened. Just my experience.

RCederholm's gear list:RCederholm's gear list
Canon EOS 7D
canuck dave
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759
Like?

This is less an 'issue' than a general situation of misunderstanding.

The Canon 7D is an excellent camera, as borne out by so many professional reviews.

But it is also not an 'entry level' camera by any means, and too many folks are buying the 7D and other similar pro cameras with the expectation that it is an obvious step to 'better' photos.
As Luminous Landscape points out:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/7D-hands-on.shtml

"I don't know. Maybe I'm just becoming an old curmudgeon. But cameras are increasingly becoming computers with lenses attached, and the trend isn't necessarily producing better devices for making photographs. The Canon 7D comes with a 275 page manual, and needs it."

Fact is, most higher-end P&S cameras will yield better images off-the-shelf. To get better results with a camera like the 7D you have to work at it; you need to know more about cameras in general (to select lenses, various modes, etc) and you need to read and re-read the manual. And rather than posting photos of brick walls or dark interiors or simply poorly created photos, to get good feedback the camera has to be used in a 'professional' manner with good lighting and good compositions.

Austin_Luker
Regular MemberPosts: 466
Like?
In reply to canuck dave, May 1, 2012

I love how you say you have to fix 90%+ in post! Can you tell me how you refocus the image after the capture on a Canon 7D? I love mine and it nails focus just like its suppose to
--
AustinLuker.com
7D-5DMKII-1DMKIV

Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,275Gear list
Like?
I see that...

... you're already "advising" others to not buy the 7D before even giving Canon a chance to look at your camera or ensure that there might not be another issue at play here. You may well have a bad camera, but I'm curious how you can discount the huge number of people who have perfectly functional 7Ds and the thousands of beautifully focused pictures posted here and elsewhere from those cameras.

Of course you read it on the Internet, so it MUST be true. LOL.

See my post to you in another thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=41392446

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
crazybadger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,325Gear list
Like?
In reply to Austin_Luker, May 1, 2012

I was wondering the same thing. Sounds like a neat trick

Austin_Luker wrote:

I love how you say you have to fix 90%+ in post! Can you tell me how you refocus the image after the capture on a Canon 7D? I love mine and it nails focus just like its suppose to
--
AustinLuker.com
7D-5DMKII-1DMKIV

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,474
Like?

Did you intentionally cut off the peoples lower halfs when composing?

I already am wondering if these are cropped images.

We had another "ARTISTE" who showed cropped images to exaggerate his problem, and didn't want to take any critisizm that he may have had poor technique.

If you buy the 5D3, and put on your $100 1.8 lens, you will miss focus. Your DOF will be even shallower.

VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
In reply to 69chevy, May 1, 2012

69chevy wrote:

Did you intentionally cut off the peoples lower halfs when composing?

I already am wondering if these are cropped images.

We had another "ARTISTE" who showed cropped images to exaggerate his problem, and didn't want to take any critisizm that he may have had poor technique.

If you buy the 5D3, and put on your $100 1.8 lens, you will miss focus. Your DOF will be even shallower.

I think he should sell the 7D bypass the 5D line and go all the way to the top, 1Dx.... I know the problem sure doesnt lie with the "artiste"

-- hide signature --

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
underpaid
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
In reply to 69chevy, May 1, 2012

Could "tvstaff" be "ARTISTE" revisited?
--
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,091
Like?
Problem is the photographer
In reply to Jerry-astro, May 2, 2012

Hair on the head of teh woman in yellow pants looks pretty sharp to me.

The second shot, taken wide open, of moving people, probably by a careless photographer not standing perfectly still, combines complete lack of depth of field at f1.8 with camera motion with subject motion.

ronzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285
Like?
In reply to tvstaff, May 2, 2012

My 50D I first noticed soft focus with testing a 300L prime at the dealer. He had the same lens on his 7D and it was tack sharp.

I noticed the MFA all lens setting was at +7 - either a body adjustment or a test left over from their quality control. My 18-200 kit zoom was not very sharp but I attributed this to kit quality lens.

I MFA'd the 300, 300 + 1.4xTCII, and the 18-200 kit zoom. On the kit zoom it made an amazing difference and the 300 and 300+TC also improved.

MFA is there for a reason and as you get to stretch optical limits this is something that should be done before giving up in a body.

-- hide signature --

Ron Ginsberg
Minneapolis, MN
Land of 10,000 Puddles

krob78
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?
In reply to ronzie, May 2, 2012

MFA can definitely help with focus issues, if it's not from hand held shots, like #2 appears to be...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads